Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SAS’s intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:17 pm

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Originally Posted by lax2sfo
And, even more important, how safe is this website? I am typically averse to using my CC online and I've heard mixed reviews regarding the refund.
They're legit. I've used them a number of times, and my CC hasn't been compromised since then. As I recall, the refund takes a few days.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 7:35 am

Programs: EBD, AB OWS (Gold)
Hey Everyone,

I am new to optiontown and have not yet completed a request. I am flying nonstop from CPH to SFO on the 24th of August. I was wondering what are my chances of being upgraded to either Economy Plus or Business. And, even more important, how safe is this website? I am typically averse to using my CC online and I've heard mixed reviews regarding the refund.

Any information would be great. If OptionTown is legit, then i will go ahead and put in the request later today.

Thanks!
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I can highly recomend reading a little of this thread in order to get all the tips and tricks. In general overbooking of Economy, and room in the high booking classes gives the best chance for an upgrade, and plenty of room in Economy or over sold Business or Plus reduces the odds.

First, click on this link to flightstats.com in order to see availability.

When I looked it showed:

C/9 D/9 (Business)

Y/9 S/9 (SAS Plus)

E/3 M/0 H/0 Q/0 V/0 W/0 U/0 K/0 L/0 T/0 O/0 G/0 N/0 (SAS Go)

What you look for is fewer than 9 in SAS Go for E,M,H and/or Q and room in the class that you want to upgrade to.

So, in your case there is a real good chance for an upgrade.

I've used OT 18 times now, and have had no problems with the CC or getting a refund.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 2:50 am

Okay, so as expected the UTo from Shanghai to Copenhagen did not clear, neither worked the confirmed upgrade through SAS. I upgraded via points at check-in in Shanghai (came from ICN) and that was no problem.

The plane left with 14 empty seats in Business class, 50% free seats in Plus and also Go was at most 75% filled.

Wonder why SAS rejected the confirmed upgrade.

So my Optiontown success rate is right now still at exactly 50%. Every long haul I did with them one upgrade cleared, the second never

Always my flight out of CPH cleared, never the return but I was always upgraded through points.

Wonder if SAS does this on purpose to get people burning their points? 40k is a pretty hefty sum for an upgrade at the gate/check-in. They probably would rather decrease the sum of all those accumulated points to reduce any financial liability than taking a 100$ in cash for an UTo through optiontown.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by gakke
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I can highly recomend reading a little of this thread in order to get all the tips and tricks. In general overbooking of Economy, and room in the high booking classes gives the best chance for an upgrade, and plenty of room in Economy or over sold Business or Plus reduces the odds.

. . . .

So, in your case there is a real good chance for an upgrade.

I've used OT 18 times now, and have had no problems with the CC or getting a refund.

Thank you for the information. I went ahead and requested the upgrade. I did so last week. Around when should I hear back from Optiontown? My flight is coming up this Saturday. Any information would be great. Thanks.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
Thank you for the information. I went ahead and requested the upgrade. I did so last week. Around when should I hear back from Optiontown? My flight is coming up this Saturday. Any information would be great. Thanks.
You usually hear something the day before or the same day as the flight. Usually SAS is quicker at sending out an email (if you gave them that at booking) with the new ticket than OT sending you the info.

Regarding the refund, it happens within a few days after the rejection.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: EK Gold, SK Gold

Booked ORD - CPH in plus in january. Was thinking of using eithet optiontown or point for upgrade to business. Which of the two has the best chances? And can I expect to pay for OT? I know its 25000 in points... (Right?)
Old Aug 20, 2013, 3:26 pm

It was supposed to read "WHAT can I expect to pay for ot.."
Old Aug 20, 2013, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by John in the tower
It was supposed to read "WHAT can I expect to pay for ot.."
Go to the website, fill in your booking details, and see what your options are.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:13 am

By the way, I asked SAS why the confirmed upgrade over the website didn't clear even if there where more than 14 empty seats in business. They told me, they can only clear a confirmed upgrade if there are award seats in business allocated for that flight.

They admitted it is kind of nonsense since the upgrade at check-in for that flights (meaning with that many empty seats) usualy won't be a problem but the system just does it that way and doesn't allow the confirmed upgrade.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Having been successful on 4 overseas flights [upgraded from economy to Business each time], I am about to try again for flights next March from SFO to CPH. A bit of a wrinkle this time - we booked using partial Euro Bonus points and cash. Since we had to do this from our individual accounts, we have 2 different booking references. I have called SAS and they linked the Booking References, but cannot [or will not] combine them onto one booking reference. So, when I go to Optiontown to "buy" upgrades to Business for each of us, I will have to do so one at a time.

I asked the rep. at SAS if they knew if Optiontown has a way to connect our requests, she asked amongst her colleagues and came back to say "no" that Optiontown will not know we are traveling together. It would be a bummer for only one of us to get upgraded. Any advice or insight? Thanks.

Last edited by DebitNM; Aug 21, 2013 at 10:36 am
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:32 am

Does registering for both OT upgrade and points-upgrade for the same flight increase the chances or do people normally just pick one of the two?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:52 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Both probably increases the chances

Originally Posted by John in the tower
Does registering for both OT upgrade and points-upgrade for the same flight increase the chances or do people normally just pick one of the two?
It probably increases the chances. When confirmed upgrade for points was introduced, SAS told me that OT probably would have priority, i.e. SAS takes your money before your points!

It appears that the confirmed upgrade for points to business is contingent on there being available space in the relevant booking class for bonus bookings (i.e. low load in business), whereas OT is contingent on oversell in economy (i.e. high load in economy. when op-ups otherwise would be likely). So with two different scenarios for the upgrade, I would personally go for both, even though I would prefer to have the ability to choose whether my money or ponts are taken.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
This is from an email reply from Optiontown to my asking the same question:
Thank you for contacting Optiontown and your interest in Upgrade Travel Option (UTo).

We would like to advise you that we do upgrade all the passengers on a booking together. If you are traveling on two or more different reservations, please sign-up for UTo on all reservations and send us an email at [email protected] including your Airline Name, Airline booking reference number(PNR), Optiontown Confirmation number and Last Names for all passengers traveling indicating that you would like to upgrade all of them together or none. Once we receive the email, we shall forward your request to the concerned department, however, please note that we cannot guarantee this request as UTo is an automated process and depends on several reasons including seat availability.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.

Last edited by DebitNM; Aug 21, 2013 at 9:27 pm Reason: update
Old Aug 22, 2013, 6:24 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by fassy
By the way, I asked SAS why the confirmed upgrade over the website didn't clear even if there where more than 14 empty seats in business. They told me, they can only clear a confirmed upgrade if there are award seats in business allocated for that flight.

They admitted it is kind of nonsense since the upgrade at check-in for that flights (meaning with that many empty seats) usualy won't be a problem but the system just does it that way and doesn't allow the confirmed upgrade.
Seriously - they are taking these Optiontown UTOs from award classes???

I thought it was more like if economy was overbooked, then it would clear!
Old Aug 22, 2013, 9:52 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Upgrade for points, not OT

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Seriously - they are taking these Optiontown UTOs from award classes???

I thought it was more like if economy was overbooked, then it would clear!
No, AFAIU fassy is describing the "Confirmed upgrade for points", i.e. requesting an upgrade using EB points between 30 days and 48 hours before departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.