Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SAS’s intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2012, 2:53 am

Programs: SK*LifetimeG, AY*S, Member of LH, BA, VS, NH and FI
Originally Posted by gnaget
I really don't think Optiontown has any idea about EBG or *G status.
My impression is that EBG-status matters. I can only tell about my and my friends' experience with Optiontown, mainly from CPH-NRT. Two of my friends tried Optiontown upgrades, but they didn't get. They each have tried once, one of them has no status in LH and another has no status in NH. But a friend and I with EBG-status usually get upgrades, when we apply.

I don't know exactly how the seat availability of these flights were, but I can tell that most of them were overbooked in M.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by fqtvcph
My impression is that EBG-status matters. I can only tell about my and my friends' experience with Optiontown, mainly from CPH-NRT. Two of my friends tried Optiontown upgrades, but they didn't get. They each have tried once, one of them has no status in LH and another has no status in NH. But a friend and I with EBG-status usually get upgrades, when we apply.

I don't know exactly how the seat availability of these flights were, but I can tell that most of them were overbooked in M.
Interesting. So you are saying that CPH-NRT was also fully booked (or close) in M class when you got the upgrades? My impression is that this is one of the toughest routes for OT because the loads are not very good. They are still selling T class seats (T2) on my flight with about 30 days to go. Would you even bother with OT in this case? I am obviously *G.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 3:39 pm

Interesting. So you are saying that CPH-NRT was also fully booked (or close) in M class when you got the upgrades? My impression is that this is one of the toughest routes for OT because the loads are not very good. They are still selling T class seats (T2) on my flight with about 30 days to go. Would you even bother with OT in this case? I am obviously *G.
Yes, my flights were fully booked or close when I got OT upgrades. I usually take CPH-NRT on the days with good loads, for example Fridays in high season.

If I am in your situation, I will still try to apply for OT upgrades because I don't know how OT clears upgrades, also because you only loose 5 euro, if it won't be cleared. And I can hear that you still have 30 days to go. You never know what will happen with load situation.

I will have CPH-PEK in next week, and I apply for upgrades through OT. M-cabin doesn't look overcrowded now. Though it looks suddenly more crowded than earlier this week. I can share my experience with OT on not-fully-booked flights later next week.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:12 pm

Yes, my flights were fully booked or close when I got OT upgrades. I usually take CPH-NRT on the days with good loads, for example Fridays in high season.

If I am in your situation, I will still try to apply for OT upgrades because I don't know how OT clears upgrades, also because you only loose 5 euro, if it won't be cleared. And I can hear that you still have 30 days to go. You never know what will happen with load situation.

I will have CPH-PEK in next week, and I apply for upgrades through OT. M-cabin doesn't look overcrowded now. Though it looks suddenly more crowded than earlier this week. I can share my experience with OT on not-fully-booked flights later next week.
That would be great info; would appreciate it. My issue is strategic because I have 20k expiring points and don't have enough total for C class in both directions. I need to use them in one direction. Ideally I would have taken a chance on NRT-CPH in about 10 days but OT is not available; it seems that they don't offer it in this direction. (What's your experience?) Here I am in row 14 in Y whereas I booked M for CPH-NRT, so I might just save the points for CPH-NRT.

On the other hand it is prudent to use expiring points on the first opportunity. Decisions, decisions......

Getting OT for CPH-NRT would also be additionally beneficial since I would get 50% qualifying mile bonus on UA for Y or C. But with 90 empty seats in M.......
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:19 pm

Opinion Request

If I'm reading this right, based on the below, my chances of an upgrade to Business is slim. I have no status with EB. And I'm using OT for the first time, trying to move two of us from econ to business. Thanks in advance for the insight.

8/4/12- IAD to CPH- SK 926
A/0 C/9 D/9 J/9 Z/0 R/0 Y/9 S/9 B/0 E/9 M/9 H/9 Q/0 V/0 W/0 U/0 K/0 L/0 T/0 G/9 N/0
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by YoyoTrucco
If I'm reading this right, based on the below, my chances of an upgrade to Business is slim. I have no status with EB. And I'm using OT for the first time, trying to move two of us from econ to business. Thanks in advance for the insight.

8/4/12- IAD to CPH- SK 926
A/0 C/9 D/9 J/9 Z/0 R/0 Y/9 S/9 B/0 E/9 M/9 H/9 Q/0 V/0 W/0 U/0 K/0 L/0 T/0 G/9 N/0
Welcome to FT YoyoTrucco!

I think your chances are quite good. I think you will be upgrade. Please let us know the result.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:07 am

Thanks. Will do.

Originally Posted by A380*G
Welcome to FT YoyoTrucco!

I think your chances are quite good. I think you will be upgrade. Please let us know the result.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:03 am

So my upgrade from M to C on CPH-PEK is now cleared around 60 hours before departure. My original booking class was K.

When I got a new e-ticket receipt from SAS, the seat availability according to flight stats are:
A/0 C/9 D/9 J/9 Z/0 R/0 Y/9 S/9 B/0 E/9 M/9 H/9 Q/0 V/0 W/0 U/0 K/0 L/0 T/0 G/8 N/0

I don't think that this flight is totally full, as there were many seats in K until one week before the departure. And then seats below booking class H were all zeroed out, which is a normal SAS procedure when the departure date is getting closer.

Paid 285 Euro.

YoyoTrucco
So it seems that there is a good chance for you, as the seat availability on your flight looks like mine. ^

gnaget
I am not sure that this info helps you to predict your possibility to get upgraded. But keep eye on the seat availability on your flight.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:48 am

Cool. Thanks. Maybe I will upgrade outbound with points and then gamble on OT. I will still have enough for Eco extra on the return as a back-up. Wow, I checked your seatmap (Aug 3) and it's empty in M class. Everything from row 33 and back in the center section is unoccupied except one!

Yes, you are right about zeroing the cheap eco classes close to departure. Y class is quite full; only 6 seats on seatmap.

p.s. Once you request OT then you can't cancel the request? So I should wait to make sure that I can use my expiring points on the outbound before I request OT for the return.

So my upgrade from M to C on CPH-PEK is now cleared around 60 hours before departure. My original booking class was K.

When I got a new e-ticket receipt from SAS, the seat availability according to flight stats are:
A/0 C/9 D/9 J/9 Z/0 R/0 Y/9 S/9 B/0 E/9 M/9 H/9 Q/0 V/0 W/0 U/0 K/0 L/0 T/0 G/8 N/0

I don't think that this flight is totally full, as there were many seats in K until one week before the departure. And then seats below booking class H were all zeroed out, which is a normal SAS procedure when the departure date is getting closer.

Paid 285 Euro.

YoyoTrucco
So it seems that there is a good chance for you, as the seat availability on your flight looks like mine. ^

gnaget
I am not sure that this info helps you to predict your possibility to get upgraded. But keep eye on the seat availability on your flight.

Last edited by gnaget; Jul 30, 2012 at 3:57 am
Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:41 am

Wow, I checked your seatmap (Aug 3) and it's empty in M class. Everything from row 33 and back in the center section is unoccupied except one!

p.s. Once you request OT then you can't cancel the request?
You looked at the wrong seat map. My flight is 1st August. It was not busy in M, but it suddenly got pretty crowded in the end of last week on seat map. (Expert flyer) Generally I would say that you should not consider empty seats on seat map as empty. My impression is that many group bookings and cheap tickets sold in Japan don't have preassigned seats. So seat availability shows a better picture, SAS often oversell M-class seats.

As for cancellation of OT-upgrade requests, I have never found out if it is possible to cancel. But I looks impossible as I have never found out how to do it on their website.

Last edited by fqtvcph; Jul 30, 2012 at 12:21 pm
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:12 am

Sorry, must have been tired. Divided by 12 instead of 24 to estimate number of days. My flight now has increased availability in rock-bottom T class (9). It was T2 when I booked it a few weeks ago. My outbound now 5.5 days out only shows 6 occupied seats in C!

You looked at the wrong seat map. My flight is 1st August. It was not busy in M, but it suddenly got pretty crowded in the end of last week on seat map. (Expert flyer) Generally I would say that you should not consider empty seats on seat map as empty. My impression is that many group bookings and cheap tickets sold in Japan don't have preassigned seats. So seat availability shows a better picture, SAS often oversell M-class seats.

As for cancellation of OT-upgrade requests, I have never found out if it is possible to cancel. But I looks impossible as I have never found out how to do it on their website.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 6:34 pm

Thanks to A380*G and fqtvcph for the replies.

Can anyone explain why the flight (SK926 on 8/2/12) is unavailable on ExpertFlyer. Getting close and just trying to see what's left in the buckets.

Are flights typically removed as departure approaches?

Thanks again.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 7:08 pm

Programs: SAS EB, BA EC, ANA MC, Norwegian Reward
Ideally I would have taken a chance on NRT-CPH in about 10 days but OT is not available; it seems that they don't offer it in this direction. (What's your experience?)
I have a 2/2 record on C upgrade with OT on CPH-NRT. But both times C upgrade was not available on the outbound NRT-CPH leg (used points in the end).
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:02 pm

Upgraded!

Can anyone explain why the flight (SK926 on 8/2/12) is unavailable on ExpertFlyer. Getting close and just trying to see what's left in the buckets.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:37 am

Programs: SK EBG,Delta Medallion/FB Gold, Choice Gold,M&M SEN,Hertz No.1 Gold,Club Carlson Elite Gold,

Thanks again.
I think the flight manager generally closes the flight about 24 hours prior to take off. At least that's my experience. Then Expert Flyer and all other tools will show 0 availability in all classes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.