Old May 3, 2013, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cptlflyer
Short term parking:
ParkSFO
Pros:
  • Fast and regular shuttles
  • Register for emails to receive monthly coupons
  • Coupons for 1 free with 3+ days, 2 free with 5+ days, 3 free with 7+ days, and 4 free with 9+ days parked in a single stay.
  • Coupons are blacked out during Thanksgiving, Xmas, and other peak periods
  • www.parksfo.com/coupons/
  • June 2013 Coupon
Cons:
  • Often full or forced to valet at higher rate
  • Somewhat expensive now
  • Reservations required or risk likely being turned away at entry

QuikPark
Pros:
  • Online reservations
  • Relatively cheap
Cons:
  • must prebook online for best rate and bring printout to give to attendant
  • Slow shuttles
  • Even with a reservation, sometimes fill up and hard to find a spot
    (note: if you book on-line and the lot is full, they will find you a space-you will be stopped at the gate but all you have to do is show them your pre-paid receipt)

Burlingame Airport Parking (ParkBAP)
Pros:
  • Consistently one of the cheapest, especially for weekly rates.
  • Generally do not have to prebook to get the best rate.
Cons:
  • 3 shuttles an hour only, and a bit slower than average due to distance. Try to arrive at or before :00, :20, or :40 to allow a few minutes wait.
  • September 2013: For pickups late, I feel the turnaround times are more consistent with 2x per hour for the shuttle. No posted change, however.

Anza
Pros:
  • With Burlingame Airport Parking, the only parking South of airport (Other than BART)
  • Shuttle frequency is good
  • Valet is free (no extra charge) when they are near capacity
  • Frequent parker program: Each 30 paid days yields a 5-consecutive-day park for free. Check in on facebook and receive credit for 1/2 paid day as well. (Note: This program has changed. It is now tied into the Fivestars card rather than a paper punch card.)
Cons:
  • When partially full, they require you use their free valet service, and this requirement varies from hour to hour. Be sure to have nothing valuable in your car!
  • Need a printed coupon from their website to get the best rate

BART
Pros:
  • Free over the weekend (except the cost of using BART to the airport) and holidays if you're only there for the free days (paid if you're there on weekdays and then stay over a weekend)
  • Online reservations for weekday parking
  • BART schedule is known well in advance
  • Pretty much guaranteed a parking spot
Cons:
  • Hard to use if you're trying to park or pick up when BART is closed for the night
  • Possibility of getting a ticket if you overstay your reservation
  • Can wait up to 20 minutes for BART in off-peak hours, or have to go to San Bruno and back to Millbrae during peak hours (or take a taxi for about $12)

SFO Long Term Parking and Lot D
** The shuttle buses look exactly the same! One says 'Lot D', the other says 'Long Term Parking' (likely no longer a concern? see below re: AirTrain)

SFO Long Term Parking
Pros:
  • Regular shuttles (not the fastest, not the slowest)
  • AirTrain blue line now goes to Long Term Parking (no more bus shuttles) but makes quite a number of stops before reaching the domestic terminals
  • Sometimes if the normal area and lot d fill up, you'll get a voucher to use the short-term parking at long-term rates
  • Covered Parking in the garage - it gets full at peak times

Cons:
  • Expensive
  • However, current promo is $12/day for 3 days prepaid online (and the rate decreases for additional days)

SFO Long Term Parking Lot D
Pros:
  • Sometimes if the Long Term Parking area and Lot D fill up, you'll get a voucher to use the short-term parking at long-term rates
Cons:
  • Expensive

Tips for Long Term Parking and Lot D
    • Park near Stop 5 in Long Term Parking and you are the first off the bus and out of the parking lot!
    • Although the signs will indicate that a floor is full, I am often able to find a spot on these floors.
    • Airtrain station is on level 5 of the garage

Month or longer parking:
    Someone who's done this please add experiences - I (rob_flies_ua) would just pay for a shuttle or car service at this point. unavaca recommends taking Uber in this case.

AirportParkingReservations.com coupon:
    $5 off: FBFRIENDS415
    EXPIRES 12/31/16 @ 11:59 PM PST Coupon Valid Online Only
Print Wikipost

SFO Parking

Old May 31, 2022, 9:23 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Al bit late to the party and fwiw...

I parked at SFO Long Term Parking Thursday, April 21-24

Booked an 8:30pm-8:30pm reservation in February for my travel dates and it was $36.00 all in
(it's less expensive the farther out you bok and you can cancel for free up to T-24 hours)

I ended up parking on the top (uncovered) floor as it was full* everywhere else in both buldings

Travel time from walking from my car to the Airtrain to the United Terminal (T3) was 20 minutes
(and the same for the reverse when I arrived)

My return flight was almost 3 hours late arriving at 10pm and I didn't get to the checkout gate until almost 10:30pm.
Not knowing how to handle the late arrival, I played dumb and drove directly to the check out gate
Scanned the QR Code on my phone
Machine said to try again
Tried again and the gate opened
No addtional chagres hit my credit card

Received a survey email upon return offering $10.00 off coupon for future use for completing the survey
(n.b. the coupon is a webpage vs an email so save the page)

*each floor has an overhead display showing either full or how many open spaces in each particular aisle/lane and each aisle/lane jas overhead green lights indicating where the spaces are but n.b.-many of the green lights are not valid for an available parking space as there are hitting on the empty striped off "no parking" spaces
Old May 31, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by goalie

Booked an 8:30pm-8:30pm reservation in February for my travel dates and it was $36.00 all in
(it's less expensive the farther out you bok and you can cancel for free up to T-24 hours)

I ended up parking on the top (uncovered) floor as it was full* everywhere else in both buldings

Travel time from walking from my car to the Airtrain to the United Terminal (T3) was 20 minutes

My return flight was almost 3 hours late arriving at 10pm and I didn't get to the checkout gate until almost 10:30pm.
Not knowing how to handle the late arrival, I played dumb and drove directly to the check out gate
There’s a grace period built in for online bookings. You can enter the garage 4 hours prior to your selected entry time and leave 2 hours after your exit time without penalty.
MDtR-Chicago and econ like this.
Old May 31, 2022, 3:30 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by freeagent
There’s a grace period built in for online bookings. You can enter the garage 4 hours prior to your selected entry time and leave 2 hours after your exit time without penalty.
Learn something new every day

Thanks
Old May 31, 2022, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think after reading here, and some reviews elsewhere, I'm going to try Anza. While ideal, I'm not really that particular about covered, the price is decent, and the shuttles are apparently pretty frequent, which definitely helps.

Would love the price of Burlingame Airport Parking, but I'm seeing review after review about how bad, infrequent and off schedule the shuttles are. If it was just me traveling, maybe, but with young kids, and a long trip, not worth the potential of arriving back from SIN, and then having to wait 30 or 45+ minutes before getting a shuttle.

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
As mentioned earlier in this thread, ParkSFO taxes total about 15% per day, even on free days. (I.e., no actual fee for the free day, but taxes are still charged at 15% of what the normal rate would have been.)
Yeah, I was noticing that. Even with the 4 days free coupon, taxes and fees bring the ParkSFO option to the same price (well...very slightly more) as the SFO long term lot. That's where I've been parking in general, but it was a great deal until they took away the park 1 day, get next day 50% (or whatever it was). That brings their prices from pretty much the lowest to the highest. If it was in the middle, I might take it. I get why the discounts ended - I bet the lots are completely full now, or pretty close. Was good while it lasted.

Originally Posted by goalie

Received a survey email upon return offering $10.00 off coupon for future use for completing the survey
(n.b. the coupon is a webpage vs an email so save the page)

*each floor has an overhead display showing either full or how many open spaces in each particular aisle/lane and each aisle/lane jas overhead green lights indicating where the spaces are but n.b.-many of the green lights are not valid for an available parking space as there are hitting on the empty striped off "no parking" spaces
Did you get into the new lot? Last few times at long term, they coned off the entrance to the new garage, and forced us to the old (though didn't seem too full as you need to walk through the new lot to get to the air train.

SFO long term does have a good grace period, which is one of the things I appreciated (even if I never had to use it). Though it takes skill to get the QR codes just right...I definitely had trouble with it the first couple of times, and have noted others having lots of issues.
Old May 31, 2022, 6:22 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by emcampbe
SFO long term does have a good grace period, which is one of the things I appreciated (even if I never had to use it). Though it takes skill to get the QR codes just right...I definitely had trouble with it the first couple of times, and have noted others having lots of issues.
I haven't parked at SFO in a while so dunno if this is still the case, but for a while at both long term and short term (which also accepts prepaid via QR code) there was someone stationed at the entrances to help people hold their phones at just the right distance/angle to be read... IIRC there is sort of a plate/icon indicating where to hold your phone, and I found that actually holding it just beneath that was what usually worked for me.
Old May 31, 2022, 7:35 pm

…Did you get into the new lot? Last few times at long term, they coned off the entrance to the new garage, and forced us to the old (though didn't seem too full as you need to walk through the new lot to get to the air train….
No-I had the old lot as (just as you described) the entrance to the new lot was coned off and also like you experienced, it didn’t appear full on my walk to the air train
Old Jun 1, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by freeagent
That's right. One can get up to a 6 hour grace period if they align their booking time and their anticipated parking garage arrival/departure times well enough.

Last few times at long term, they coned off the entrance to the new garage, and forced us to the old (though didn't seem too full as you need to walk through the new lot to get to the air train.
Have also been there multiple times in past year when both old and new garages were coned off (ostensibly full), and having to park in the surface lot south of the new garage.

Originally Posted by Zorak
I haven't parked at SFO in a while so dunno if this is still the case, but for a while at both long term and short term (which also accepts prepaid via QR code) there was someone stationed at the entrances to help people hold their phones at just the right distance/angle to be read... IIRC there is sort of a plate/icon indicating where to hold your phone, and I found that actually holding it just beneath that was what usually worked for me.
I've noticed someone usually roaming around the long-term gates to assist. I don't recall seeing anyone at short-term parking. Also, I found out the hard way a few months ago that only one of the entry gates at short-term is set up with a QR code reader. Had to take a ticket to enter the garage and immediately exit (no charge), then take the U-turn exit between the Intl Terminal and Hwy 101 to return to the proper entry gate. Relatively painless, although it set me back a few minutes.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by nnn
You might find a free leftover cart sitting around long term parking before it gets collected. Not sure if there is a stall there to rent them. You can take the carts on AirTrain.
Following up in case anyone else has the same question: there are multiple smarte cart rental stalls in LT parking--follow the signs to find them. As I recall, there's one stall in each half of the garage (i.e., one on each side of the skyway). I also found several laying about on the 1st floor of the garage near the elevator, so check there first if you want to snag one for free.
MDtR-Chicago likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 7:14 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
https://www.flysfo.com/about/media/p...-summer-demand
Effective Friday, July 15, 2022, the maximum daily rate at Long-Term Parking increases to $25. Bookings made by July 11, 2022, for arrival on or after July 15 will receive the current $18 rate. After July 11, lower rates may be available online based on demand and capacity levels. Bookings must be made a minimum of 2 hours in advance to quality. To book parking at SFO, visit parking.flysfo.com.
minhaoxue likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 2:05 pm

Curious if anyone has any experience/insight that might be useful for my situation:

Booked parking at the SFO Long Term Garages/Lot for this coming weekend back in February, when the rates were a lot cheaper. Unfortunately, the airline changed our flights multiple times, and so we need to arrive at the airportmore than four hours before the scheduled start of our reservation.

Does anyone happen to know whether we'll still be able to enter the gates, or if it won't let us in until four hours before the scheduled start time? Relatedly, any idea on how they would charge us for the extra hours upon our exit? For example, would they recalculate everything at the drive-up rate?

I suspect we're in a bit of a unique situation, but any thoughts would be appreciated. I know I could always amend the reservation, but the cost is almost 50% more since I can't keep the same rate that I booked under.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by KE81
Does anyone happen to know whether we'll still be able to enter the gates, or if it won't let us in until four hours before the scheduled start time? Relatedly, any idea on how they would charge us for the extra hours upon our exit? For example, would they recalculate everything at the drive-up rate?
I haven't actually exceeded the grace period, but based on the terms and conditions it appears that you'll be charged at exit for time exceeded. The phrasing insinuates that one can enter early and leave late, you'll just be charged the walk-up rate which is $2 for each 15 minutes maxing out at $25 for 24 hours.
The purchase price quoted by the Online Booking System includes a 4-hour grace period on booking entry and a 2-hour grace period on booking exit dates/times for the time purchased online in advance. If you exceed your pre-purchased time, you will be charged at exit for the extra time at SFO’s current posted parking rates in Airport Garages.

When you provide your credit/debit card details to complete your online Booking, you are authorizing SFO to charge your credit/debit card in the amount of the quoted purchase price.
KE81 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 10:21 am

Thanks so much--I saw the FAQs but somehow missed the actual terms and conditions (silly me). Your reading seems correct to me.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 2:14 pm

To follow up on this—you CANNOT enter more than 4 hours before your scheduled start time. Found out the hard way today, but fortunately was able to cancel and rebook (albeit for the significantly higher rate).
MDtR-Chicago likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 4:44 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Was just offered a discount again on the SFO official parking site. $16 off a booking for next week in Long Term Parking.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Was just offered a discount again on the SFO official parking site. $16 off a booking for next week in Long Term Parking.
was this just on the website, or was it sent to you. Personally, have not seen any discounts since the half off for every paid day that was the ‘standard’ during the pandemic (aside from the survey discount). Seem like it was for everyone, or targeted as like a pop-up or something? Have not parked at long-term since that pro ended and then price went up to $21.

this summer, I used Anza and while the price was great with the $12.99 coupon, I was not happy there - both the parking itself - we got an area that seemed sort of semi-paved - and with the shuttle, who skipped over T2 for us even through I clearly indicated that’s where we were going, so added an extra 20 mins or so. The return they told us the shuttle was on the way but had to call a second time since it never showed. I think we waited >20 minutes - not ok after such a long trip (had been flying back from SIN).

This week, I parked for first time at ParkSFO - while a PITA to have to walk to the shuttle stop (I know, I could have paid for valet) - shuttle was quick and efficient both ways, and drivers nice. Used a 2 day free coupon (off of min. 5) which brought the price down reasonably - might have gone back to SFO long-term if I had to pay full price at ParkSFO, since it would have been only marginally more, and walking to Airtrain basically the same as walking to bus. Bus a bit more convenient as it has less stops, so I feel like saves a bit of time. Would happily go back there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.