SFO Parking

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 4, 21, 2:07 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Zorak
Wiki Link
Short term parking:
ParkSFO
Pros:
  • Fast and regular shuttles
  • Register for emails to receive monthly coupons
  • Coupons for 1 free with 3+ days, 2 free with 5+ days, 3 free with 7+ days, and 4 free with 9+ days parked in a single stay.
  • Coupons are blacked out during Thanksgiving, Xmas, and other peak periods
  • www.parksfo.com/coupons/
  • June 2013 Coupon
Cons:
  • Often full or forced to valet at higher rate
  • Somewhat expensive now
  • No reservations

QuikPark
Pros:
  • Online reservations
  • Relatively cheap
Cons:
  • must prebook online for best rate and bring printout to give to attendant
  • Slow shuttles
  • Even with a reservation, sometimes fill up and hard to find a spot
    (note: if you book on-line and the lot is full, they will find you a space-you will be stopped at the gate but all you have to do is show them your pre-paid receipt)

Burlingame Airport Parking (ParkBAP)
Pros:
  • Consistently one of the cheapest, especially for weekly rates.
  • Generally do not have to prebook to get the best rate.
Cons:
  • 3 shuttles an hour only, and a bit slower than average due to distance. Try to arrive at or before :00, :20, or :40 to allow a few minutes wait.
  • September 2013: For pickups late, I feel the turnaround times are more consistent with 2x per hour for the shuttle. No posted change, however.

Anza
Pros:
  • With Burlingame Airport Parking, the only parking South of airport (Other than BART)
  • Shuttle frequency is good
  • Valet is free (no extra charge) when they are near capacity
  • Frequent parker program: Each 30 paid days yields a 5-consecutive-day park for free. Check in on facebook and receive credit for 1/2 paid day as well. (Note: This program has changed. It is now tied into the Fivestars card rather than a paper punch card.)
Cons:
  • When partially full, they require you use their free valet service, and this requirement varies from hour to hour. Be sure to have nothing valuable in your car!
  • Need a printed coupon from their website to get the best rate

BART
Pros:
  • Free over the weekend (except the cost of using BART to the airport) and holidays if you're only there for the free days (paid if you're there on weekdays and then stay over a weekend)
  • Online reservations for weekday parking
  • BART schedule is known well in advance
  • Pretty much guaranteed a parking spot
Cons:
  • Hard to use if you're trying to park or pick up when BART is closed for the night
  • Possibility of getting a ticket if you overstay your reservation
  • Can wait up to 20 minutes for BART in off-peak hours, or have to go to San Bruno and back to Millbrae during peak hours (or take a taxi for about $12)

SFO Long Term Parking and Lot D
** The shuttle buses look exactly the same! One says 'Lot D', the other says 'Long Term Parking' (likely no longer a concern? see below re: AirTrain)

SFO Long Term Parking
Pros:
  • Regular shuttles (not the fastest, not the slowest)
  • AirTrain blue line now goes to Long Term Parking (no more bus shuttles) but makes quite a number of stops before reaching the domestic terminals
  • Sometimes if the normal area and lot d fill up, you'll get a voucher to use the short-term parking at long-term rates
  • Covered Parking in the garage - it gets full at peak times

Cons:
  • Expensive
  • However, current promo is $12/day for 3 days prepaid online (and the rate decreases for additional days)

SFO Long Term Parking Lot D
Pros:
  • Sometimes if the Long Term Parking area and Lot D fill up, you'll get a voucher to use the short-term parking at long-term rates
Cons:
  • Expensive

Tips for Long Term Parking and Lot D
    • Park near Stop 5 in Long Term Parking and you are the first off the bus and out of the parking lot!
    • Although the signs will indicate that a floor is full, I am often able to find a spot on these floors.

Month or longer parking:
    Someone who's done this please add experiences - I (rob_flies_ua) would just pay for a shuttle or car service at this point. unavaca recommends taking Uber in this case.

AirportParkingReservations.com coupon:
    $5 off: FBFRIENDS415
    EXPIRES 12/31/16 @ 11:59 PM PST Coupon Valid Online Only
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 16, 21, 7:05 pm

Programs: AS 100K, SK, UR, MR
I made a reservation on November 4 for 7 days for a total of $72. We found a spot the other morning in two minutes; our trick is to go directly to the 2nd floor, far from the 5th floor where the airtrain is; the elevator doesn’t take long no matter which floor.
Old Nov 16, 21, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AS MVP, WN CP; MR Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, RR Au
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
There was a promo (no code required) if you booked online, but I don't see any references to it on the website anymore (compared to a previous version in the Internet Archive), so it probably just ended.
Originally Posted by freeagent View Post
Plugged in a few dates and it looks like the discounts come back starting in January. Probably pulling the discount for the holiday season would be my guess.
Thanks for that. I can only be upset at myself for not booking immediately when I saw the favorable pricing. At least I know I'm not missing something.
Old Dec 7, 21, 5:12 pm

does anyone know if there are smarte carts at long term parking? Are they allowed on airtrain? I have more baggage than I can hand carry, and am trying to figure out if I need to park in hourly parking or whether I can park in long term
Old Dec 7, 21, 9:26 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by prometa View Post
does anyone know if there are smarte carts at long term parking? Are they allowed on airtrain? I have more baggage than I can hand carry, and am trying to figure out if I need to park in hourly parking or whether I can park in long term
You might find a free leftover cart sitting around long term parking before it gets collected. Not sure if there is a stall there to rent them. You can take the carts on AirTrain.
Old Dec 7, 21, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
Is it just me or does anyone else have zero interest in using SFO long-term parking and then waiting for the airtrain? I find it 10x more convenient and usually cheaper) to park at a Burlingame lot and hop on the shuttle bus.

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
The $18 rate in the domestic garage is still available, it's just not being advertised. Made an advance booking, and it was one of the options offered.
Updated/Edit: It appears the cheap rates are still available for parking in the short-term "domestic" walk-to-terminal garage. Specifically I am quoted $19.50/day for an 8-day stay in January 2022.

Last edited by Boraxo; Dec 7, 21 at 10:23 pm
Old Dec 7, 21, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM MM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Plat, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
Are the cheap rates still available for parking in the short-term walk-to-terminal parking? Some of the more recent posts are unclear as to which rate/garage.
My recent searches have been $18/day long term and $36/day short term. Someone reported above that bookings for further out (after the holiday period) have discounts again.

Like you I am not interested in long term at $18/day. I did park at short term for a day trip (if you have previously parked with them, you get a post-trip survey after which you get a non-personalized coupon code SFOThankYou good for $10 off which helps a bit with the above prices)
Old Dec 7, 21, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
My recent searches have been $18/day long term and $36/day short term. Someone reported above that bookings for further out (after the holiday period) have discounts again.

Like you I am not interested in long term at $18/day. I did park at short term for a day trip (if you have previously parked with them, you get a post-trip survey after which you get a non-personalized coupon code SFOThankYou good for $10 off which helps a bit with the above prices)
Not interested in $18/day either, but the non-holiday rates + coupon (e.g. 2-day $17, 3-day $26) wasn't a bad deal.
Old Dec 9, 21, 3:33 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Dang...all these years paying full price at the parking lots...never knew you could book ahead for a discount. :facepalm:
Old Dec 9, 21, 3:42 pm

Programs: AS 100K, SK, UR, MR
I parked at Park n Fly this morning because somehow out by of the blue I had five free days, so I used one. Earlier though I was told that Costco vouchers dont earn free days, which is how I usually go about it there.
Old Dec 9, 21, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM MM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Plat, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by nnn View Post
Dang...all these years paying full price at the parking lots...never knew you could book ahead for a discount. :facepalm:
If it's any consolation I think the book-in-advance-for-a-discount is relatively new (though admittedly I didn't usually pay a lot of attention to it either so maybe it's been around longer than I think)
Boraxo and nnn like this.
Old Dec 9, 21, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If it's any consolation I think the book-in-advance-for-a-discount is relatively new (though admittedly I didn't usually pay a lot of attention to it either so maybe it's been around longer than I think)
I'm pretty sure it's a covid thing.
Boraxo and nnn like this.
Old Dec 19, 21, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Be advised, long term parking is currently reservation-only -- if you show up without one, as I did early this morning* then you'll be turned away and directed to the D lot.

*Lyft wanted an amount where I might as well drive and park myself, first Uber driver cancelled on me 10 minutes into a 20 minute wait, 2nd assigned driver was going to be another 20 minutes, at which point Lyft was no longer even offering the original expensive rate (just cheaper rides with huge waits also)
Old Dec 19, 21, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Be advised, long term parking is currently reservation-only -- if you show up without one, as I did early this morning* then you'll be turned away and directed to the D lot.

*Lyft wanted an amount where I might as well drive and park myself, first Uber driver cancelled on me 10 minutes into a 20 minute wait, 2nd assigned driver was going to be another 20 minutes, at which point Lyft was no longer even offering the original expensive rate (just cheaper rides with huge waits also)
Ouch. Did you end up having to park in D?

David
Old Dec 19, 21, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Ouch. Did you end up having to park in D?
Yep, luckily spaces were plentiful and the shuttle bus was right there. Walked up to the gate a few minutes before boarding.
Old Dec 19, 21, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Yep, luckily spaces were plentiful and the shuttle bus was right there. Walked up to the gate a few minutes before boarding.
Kewl. Hope it's not terribly more expensive. Enjoy the right coast!

David

Search this Thread