Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Has anyone done a transfer from SFO international to domestic?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2008, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, BA Gold

What is the mininum connection time from transfering from an international to a domestic? How have your experiences been if any of you have completed this transfer?
Old Oct 31, 2008, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT PLT, SPG PLT
I did it in 90 minutes comfortably last year during the holiday season peak... Arrived from HKG @ 8:30 and left for EWR at 10:00...

But I'd recommend 2 hours
Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:07 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
As GodErnst mentioned, 2 hours is safe.

If you arrive SFO before 9 am, zip through Immigration and Customs without any check-in luggage, the 1st security line from International terminal to domestic terminal is empty, you can probably do it in half hour from international gate to your domestic gate.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
I've been through immigration and past customs (with only carry-on) in 5 minutes. I've also been stopped by customs and had it take 30 minutes. It also depends on the flight and arrival time. Once out of the secure area, it is less than 15 minutes to walk to the UA domestic terminal, clear security (usually; again, day and time), and get to your gate. I've gone less than 20 minutes from aircraft door open to my domestic gate.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 1:00 am

along with that--if you have checked luggage what's the best way to handle the int'l-->domestic connection.

Is there a spot in sfo customs where you can check your bags without having to take them back to a united ticket counter?
Old Nov 1, 2008, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by raptor288
along with that--if you have checked luggage what's the best way to handle the int'l-->domestic connection.

Is there a spot in sfo customs where you can check your bags without having to take them back to a united ticket counter?
After you leave customs hall, you turn to your left as you exit, you will see signage over head "Re-check luggage" and now roped off area to re-check your check-in luggage.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 1:57 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by GodErnst
I did it in 90 minutes comfortably last year during the holiday season peak... Arrived from HKG @ 8:30 and left for EWR at 10:00...

But I'd recommend 2 hours
Agreed. ^ We made a domestic flight last year with literally seconds to spare to the surprise of the gate agent after a late arrival gave us only 30 minutes or so including checked baggage to claim but no lines at Immigration/Customs or TSA - no fun and I'm not interested in the "honor" of holding the record.

We'll flying SYD-SFO-YVR tomorrow and pleased to have a couple of hours for the transfer.

Cheers,
Fredd
Old Nov 1, 2008, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
After you leave customs hall, you turn to your left as you exit, you will see signage over head "Re-check luggage" and now roped off area to re-check your check-in luggage.
Perfect--thanks.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 2:49 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
I do this 10 times a year (Intl to Domestic in SFO)....

As other mentioned you will clear immigration, grab bags and go through customs. Being a US Citizen or Resident it could take anywhere from 2 mins upwards to 20 mins to clear immigration. Assume 15-20 mins from landing bags will start to show up (meaning if immigration line is long at least your bags will be up afterwards). Customs should take anywhere from a min to 10 mins (if you get stopped longer). So it can be as short as 5 mins if you have no checked bags - to as long as 50 mins or so with bags.

Then you need to count the walk to domestic, under 5 mins - you recheck any bags as you exit the customs inspection area - no waiting they just check your BP and belt load them for you.

The next pain though is security. If you can use the UA elite lines then use them! If you are a clear member there is a lane right near the UA elite line (generally gets though quicker than the elite line). Assume regular security line (non elite/non clear) can take 5- mins upwards to 40 mins if the day of the week and time is bad.

What I normally do is book a comfortable connection through SFO (say 2hrs +) then go gate standby to leave earlier if I get through all formalities quickly. Normally works out OK.

I did NRT-SFO-SNA last week, had a legal 3 hr + connection, but got in early and made what technically was an illegal connection that left 45 hr after my first flight landed - plus on that day immigration lines were long (11:40AM) and I had a checked bag. But did make it - don't assume you will which is why you always want to be booked on a comfortable connection and then gate standby for earlier.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 11:20 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
What I normally do is book a comfortable connection through SFO (say 2hrs +) then go gate standby to leave earlier if I get through all formalities quickly.
Wisdom from NickP.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 11:30 am

Programs: UA MM Gold
Pray for an early arrival. My last flt from PVG arrived SFO at 0815 and immigration was totally empty. Wow we flew through the whole process and hopped an earlier domestic leg. Warning, if you suspect you can jump an earlier flt, do NOT recheck your bags, but drag them to the lobby and hit an elite line to try to catch an earlier flt. Has worked for me 2x this year. YMMV. IF you are carry-on only, no sweat....
Old Nov 1, 2008, 11:35 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Without checked bags it typically takes ~60 minutes, but even 2 hours can be tight if things go against you.

IMO, a tight connection is worth the risk so long as there is another onward flight the same day. IOW - if you have a choice between tight and long, take the tight one, as you should be reaccomodated on the later flight if you misconnect.

Might be more complex if you check bags; I never do.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by nzpilot
Pray for an early arrival. My last flt from PVG arrived SFO at 0815 and immigration was totally empty. Wow we flew through the whole process and hopped an earlier domestic leg. Warning, if you suspect you can jump an earlier flt, do NOT recheck your bags, but drag them to the lobby and hit an elite line to try to catch an earlier flt. Has worked for me 2x this year. YMMV. IF you are carry-on only, no sweat....
Good advice: If you are 1K or PremExec and can get UA to answer the phone quickly what I do if we come in early to SFO is call reservations as we are taxiing in and ask to have them hold a seat on the earlier flight... Then I go the bag drop off area after customs - there is normally one cust service agent there, if it's not busy they can move you to the earlier flight with the held seat and retag your bags. WARNING: normally they won't take a retagged bag unless the flight is 45 mins out or more. They have made exceptions - if you ask for it to go and if it doesn't make it "it will be fine - it can arrive on a later flight" they will normally do it and in fact it will make your earlier flight.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by dgwright99
Without checked bags it typically takes ~60 minutes, but even 2 hours can be tight if things go against you.

IMO, a tight connection is worth the risk so long as there is another onward flight the same day. IOW - if you have a choice between tight and long, take the tight one, as you should be reaccomodated on the later flight if you misconnect.

Might be more complex if you check bags; I never do.
The risk is if the later flight is oversold, you could get hosed. You're better off booking the safer connection and going standby for the earlier. If you do book a tight connection and miss it then the next flight is oversold - you can get stuck in SFO for a while - trust this from experience even as a 1K.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by NickP 1K
The risk is if the later flight is oversold, you could get hosed. You're better off booking the safer connection and going standby for the earlier. If you do book a tight connection and miss it then the next flight is oversold - you can get stuck in SFO for a while - trust this from experience even as a 1K.
Another very likely risk is loss of your upgrade. Upgrade out of SFO is tough to begin with, when you standby for another flight, you can count on sitting in Y instead of C or F. A middle seat in E- in the last row may not be that appealing after you just got off an international C or F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.