Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Has anyone done a transfer from SFO international to domestic?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone done a transfer from SFO international to domestic?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2009, 9:46 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
No thru check for Southwest. If they do not have a counter in the re-check area you will need to walk bags to terminal 1 and check in as a SFO originating passenger.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:26 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

How are Intl transfers handled.

HKG-SFO-YVR
All on UA Metal.

Do I need to clear Immigration and Customs?
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by AMRivlin

HKG-SFO-YVR
All on UA Metal.

Yes.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty

HKG-SFO-YVR
All on UA Metal.

SFO-YVR will normally operate from the Domestic terminals anyway so you save no time compared to a domestic US connecting passenger.

You will go through US immigration and customs; on the US CBP forms you can write in for hotel location or address "in transit to YVR"....

When you exit the immigration hall take the exit for connecting flights and there is a UA bag drop off. The walk to the terminal is a few mins - re go through security (you can go through security in the Intl Terminal on the United side as there is an airside walkway to Terminal 3)
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist

HKG-SFO-YVR
All on UA Metal.

If it is not substanial fare difference (more than $300), I would not even bother for a connection like this, as you have to go thru 2 immigration and customs.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
If it is not substanial fare difference (more than $300), I would not even bother for a connection like this, as you have to go thru 2 immigration and customs.
Living near the border we've flown to Oz, for example, out of YVR on those extremely rare occasions when it has been substantially cheaper. We've gone through US Immigration in SFO and recleared the TSA checkpoint, flown to YVR, cleared Canadian Customs and Immigration there, then retrieved our car to drive to the border and clear US Customs and Immigration again. When we lived on the Canadian side, like many Canadians we did a lot of flying out of SEA rather than YVR since it was usually substantially cheaper, even given the longer drive.

Still, it's a fair amount of effort and dealing with officialdom and I agree it's only worth doing for a substantial fare difference.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 3:10 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Care to tell me how to fly to YVR on UA metal otherwise?

I am GLOBAL ENTRY, so I will avoid immigration (lines) in SFO.

SIN-HKG-YVR=1400 on AC
SIN-HKG-SFO-YVR=1100 on UA

Last edited by squeakr; Aug 27, 2010 at 11:17 am Reason: correct terminology
Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Another very likely risk is loss of your upgrade. Upgrade out of SFO is tough to begin with, when you standby for another flight, you can count on sitting in Y instead of C or F. A middle seat in E- in the last row may not be that appealing after you just got off an international C or F.
and domestic F is much more appealing? last time I flew Intl F, connected to UX F, didn't do the name "First Class" any justice at all!
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:20 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
note a small point :

I am GLOBAL ENTRY, so I will avoid immigration (lines) in SFO.

The correct terminology for the Global Entry status is GLOBAL ENTRY not GOES.

GOES is the online system you use to apply for Global Entry, Nexus, SENTRI etc.

Just in case you have to ask someone about it, they will not know what you are asking for if you ask for GOES.

thanks

squeakr

mod SFO
Old May 14, 2013, 3:27 pm

SFO Terminal Transfer

On Sunday morning I will arrive at SFO terminal 1 on a US Air flight. I connect with United for a flight overseas in the international terminal G. I have a tight connection and need to know the fastest way to get from terminal one to Terminal G.

I have read that United has a bus (by gate 38) from terminal one to terminal G but I am not sure if that will be available as I am arriving on US Air. If this bus will be available, will I have to exit and enter security when going from terminal 1 to G on the shuttle bus?

Originally Posted by aagoldflyer
What is the mininum connection time from transfering from an international to a domestic? How have your experiences been if any of you have completed this transfer?
Old Jun 2, 2013, 7:38 am
ekf

Wanted to share my transit experience as it mightbbe useful for someone else.

As a non-US citizen I arrived with UA901 to SFO from FRA yesterday. According to the schedule the connection time to UA5553 was spot on the MCT of 1h45m, but we were running approx 30 minutes late..
I was lucky to have been able to choose a seat at the second foremost row in economy, so once they opened those doors and the E+ pax had cleared out, I started running towards Immigration. Luckily most of the taipei flight had already passed, so Immigration took roughly just 20 mins for me, but as it was my turn, i glanced backwards and saw a HUGE line.
Was lucky to see my bag as I approached the luggage carousel, got it in less than 5 secs. The customs line was building up, but they were very quick.
Started running again, dropped off by bag as it was tagged all the way and rushed to T1 where my flight was departing from. Luckily again the security checkpoint was rather quick. After clearing that, I slowly jogged through T1 and arrived at the gate just as it opened and everybody boarded. Man, was I happy! Didn't really care that the AC was broke on that last leg .
Oh, needless to say I think, I'm still waiting for my bag, but it should arrive soon as it has found it's way to SAN already.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
Had a good read through here but want to confirm.

I arrive on a LH flight in C (if they don't strike) and connect to ua first nearly 3 hours later.

I guess my bags will have to be collected and re checked?

Is there a fast track for int c and domestic first passengers?

Any tips on how to make the transfer less painful?

Cheers
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by dewby

I arrive on a LH flight in C (if they don't strike) and connect to ua first nearly 3 hours later.

Cheers
Yep, all bags have to be collected and rechecked.

No fast track for int'l C pax, not even for F.

The only fast track for int'l is unless you are a US citizen or have a green card and paid to have Global Entry.

Domestic First is premier access, even though it is priority security, but that line could still be very long in certain hours of the day. The only way to get faster for domestic security is unless you have TSA Pre, which is impossible if you are a non-US base pax.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Mar 20, 2015 at 8:30 pm
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by dewby

Cheers
To eloborate; from an Immigration/Customs point of view no Fastrack

On a US TSA/Security screening point of view yes there is a First class/Premier security line ; as you walk from International back to Domestic it will be in the corridor before entering the main terminal at SFO. Depending on time of day the line can be long but it will be shorter than the regular line.

All flights at US airports will require claiming your bags but there is a recheck right immediate outside customs that doesn't require you to go into line (just a drop lane)

Last edited by NickP 1K; Mar 21, 2015 at 9:36 am
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA, OZ
Domestic to International Transfer in SFO

Hi all,

I plan to have a domestic to international transfer in SFO.
ORD-SFO-SIN on UA

The connection time listed is 1 hour 8 min,
Is that sufficient?

I do not need to recheck my luggage right? But I do need to clear security again?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.