Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Has anyone done a transfer from SFO international to domestic?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone done a transfer from SFO international to domestic?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
... the 1st security line from International terminal to domestic terminal is empty ...
... and open. It has very limited hours compared to other security lines.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 1:41 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
... and open. It has very limited hours compared to other security lines.
Of course, it has to be open in order for someone to use that security line. It is open mostly during the morning bank of international arrivals. I do not know the exact hours. I think it closes at 11 am. I shall ask them Tuesday when I go through there and report back. I use that line even for my domestic travel. It is much faster than UA elite line.

When there are too many international arrival PAX using that line, line keeper tells everyone who just flew in on UA, use other security lines dedicated for UA.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Exec Plt 2MM, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, disgruntled Amex Ex-Centurion
After you leave customs hall, you turn to your left as you exit, you will see signage over head "Re-check luggage" and now roped off area to re-check your check-in luggage.
In theory, yes. The two times I passed through SFO in October, that re-check counter was closed.

First time arriving on United Express from Victoria BC in the early afternoon, there was not even a baggage handler available - so you had to haul your baggage to terminal 3 yourself.

Second time, arriving on UA931 from LHR close to 6pm, there was one baggage handler and still no service agent, so only "problem-free" recheck was possible. Unfortunately, I had problems (mistagged bags due to useless LH agent in CGN and one item utterly destroyed). So another trek to the terminal 3 counters.

My oppinion: 90 minutes is the bare minimum if you have checked bags, with carry on luggage only, you might be OK with less connection time.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I use that line even for my domestic travel.
We always do too. I just wanted to make sure people know that's it's not always open.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Lifetime Gold, starting AK, Marriott Bonvoy
I use that line [btwn Intl and domestic] even for my domestic travel. It is much faster than UA elite line.
Hmmm... I like that idea, but don't know just where this security line is located. Is it between Terminal 4 (Intl) and Terminal 3 (UA)?
Old Nov 1, 2008, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Did this last month, took me a little under 45 minutes. Hardly any lines at customs, got my bag, was out and ready to transfer probably within 30 minutes. Longest wait was going back through security on the US side, taking shoes off, etc.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by ccharles
Hmmm... I like that idea, but don't know just where this security line is located. Is it between Terminal 4 (Intl) and Terminal 3 (UA)?
If you are going from International terminal to domestic terminal #3, it is the first security check area right before all the UA ticket counters. If you are in terminal #3, just go towards international terminal, it is the last security check area in terminal #3. It is only open in the mornings. If you arrive before the bank of morning international flights, the line is empty and contracted TSA agents just standing around with nothing to do. Once I was the lucky random “SSSS” PAX, although my boarding pass did not indicate it. I figure they must have a daily quota to randomly search PAX. Since they had nothing to do, and I was there at the right time for them.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1121,00.html
Old Nov 2, 2008, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
We made the transfer earlier today in about 30 minutes. Having carry-on only and being among the first off the plane helps, especially if no other international flights have just landed ahead of you. Only the "security" woman vigilantly guarding that UA elite domestic security line slowed us down, first by didactically telling us we must each carry our own BPs when I handed them both to her and then by demanding Mrs. Fredd place her carry-on bag in the template, even though it was clearly within the limits. I guess she thought we'd never flown before - just what the "elite" line needs...

Our comfortable two-hour connection became a three-hour connection but it was a good time to relax in the RCC after a flight from SYD.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:08 am

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Keep in mind if you cannot use the US Citizen line that Immigration can take considerably longer. At SFO, once the US Citizen queue is cleared out, officials will waive over remaining people in the non-citizen queue to be processed through any available agent, but only if the US Citizen queue remains cleared out. Many of the widebodies from Asia arrive at the same time so depending on your flight this could vary.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:40 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by John26
Keep in mind if you cannot use the US Citizen line that Immigration can take considerably longer. At SFO, once the US Citizen queue is cleared out, officials will waive over remaining people in the non-citizen queue to be processed through any available agent, but only if the US Citizen queue remains cleared out. Many of the widebodies from Asia arrive at the same time so depending on your flight this could vary.
That line is actually the US Citizen and US Residents line (read: NON US Citizens holding a Permanent Residence Card).... (Like it is at every airport)
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:02 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
excellent point

Another very likely risk is loss of your upgrade. Upgrade out of SFO is tough to begin with, when you standby for another flight, you can count on sitting in Y instead of C or F. A middle seat in E- in the last row may not be that appealing after you just got off an international C or F.

been there done that

Last edited by squeakr; Nov 3, 2008 at 1:02 pm Reason: spelling
Old Nov 4, 2008, 3:33 pm

I do not know the exact hours. I think it closes at 11 am. I shall ask them Tuesday when I go through there and report back. I use that line even for my domestic travel. It is much faster than UA elite line.

When there are too many international arrival PAX using that line, line keeper tells everyone who just flew in on UA, use other security lines dedicated for UA.
The operating hours are 7 am to 12 noon daily. This security check point is a bit north of UA ticket counter #1 in UA domestic terminal #3.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
If you do connect through SFO a lot I highly suggest getting "Clear"... I've made many short connection from international and domestic to international solely based on the shorter lines (shorter than the elite lines)
Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:09 am

Different belts - Recheck Baggage - Different Airlines

After exiting the customs hall at SFO airport for a connecting domestic flight, do different airlines have different "recheck baggage belts" or a common one

e.g. United, AA, Southwest, etc.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 12:10 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I believe it's a common one

UNLESS you are not checked through - in that case you need to re check in again at your departing airline's desk.

Originally Posted by msi geek
After exiting the customs hall at SFO airport for a connecting domestic flight, do different airlines have different "recheck baggage belts" or a common one

e.g. United, AA, Southwest, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.