Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
SFO/OAK/SJC Bay Area Happy Hour Thread

Plane Spotting

At SFO:
  • The new SFO outdoor observation deck “is located at the far end of the G side (United/Star Alliance) of the airport's international terminal. It will be open daily from 7:00 am until 11:30 pm “as of Wednesday, 6 Feb 2019. “Only passengers using Terminal 3 (United) and the International G-side will have access to it...The 2,997 square foot, roofless deck, offers expansive 180+ degree views of the ramp and runways on the north side of the airport and beyond.” Link to full article and slideshow from sfgate.
  • (TEMPORARILY CLOSED DUE TO COVID) the SFO Sky Terrace is landside (pre-security) in Terminal 2: "... open to the general public seven days a week from 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. There is no cost to enter and you don’t need a ticket or boarding pass. Visitors will undergo a security check. Food and beverages are allowed but smoking is not permitted."
Outside SFO:
  • Assuming typical "West Plan" operations, Coyote Point Recreation Area (https://goo.gl/maps/DAUZv7A9bFS2) is an excellent location. There are a few overlooks on the trails by the water, depending what angle you want. Vehicular access is via Coyote Point Dr and costs $6 per vehicle.
  • For free alternatives consider parking at Ryder Park (https://goo.gl/maps/h48Dk8PhNGk) or Seal Point Park just down the street. There is a flat paved path between here and Coyote Point, although there are overhead power lines along the shore. (Coyote Point and Seal Point parks have unobstructed views however)
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "What to do during layover/stopover at SFO" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2012, 2:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
He should take BART, easily the best option, cheapest, quickest, and fastest, even if getting to the BART station at the airport is a little inconvenient.
Just remember that when coming back to SFO the trains run every 20 minutes.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Here's a sampler of what you can do in San Francisco in 7 hrs.

Take BART to Powell.
Take Powell-Hyde cable car to Lombard St.
Get back on cable car to Fisherman's Wharf.
Take F tram to Ferry Building.
Dinner at either Fisherman's Wharf or Ferry Building; I prefer the latter, i.e. The Slanted Door.
Take BART from Embarcadero back to SFO.

Hope you have a grand time!
Old Apr 21, 2012, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
He should take BART, easily the best option, cheapest, quickest, and fastest, even if getting to the BART station at the airport is a little inconvenient.

It's $8.10 each way and while it gets crowded at rush hour, it's not going to be affected by rush hour traffic.

Plus, in the afternoon rush hour (at 4 PM) the OP would be going against the flow of commuter traffic, so getting a seat should be no problem.
You have plenty of time to see the sights...I love the fact that SFO, like many other cities, is now connected to some type of rapid transit, but my two pet

1. It doesn't get you very close to one of the most popular places people want to go...Fisherman's Wharf...yeah, you can easily hoof it along the docks, take a cab, or other public transport but thats extra time and money.

2. $16.20 round trip for a subway? Compared to places like DCA, ORD, ATL, SEA, PDX, etc., that's easily the most expensive I've seen.

But back to the original question, 7.5 hours is plenty of time...have fun!
Old Apr 21, 2012, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
You have plenty of time to see the sights...I love the fact that SFO, like many other cities, is now connected to some type of rapid transit, but my two pet

1. It doesn't get you very close to one of the most popular places people want to go...Fisherman's Wharf...yeah, you can easily hoof it along the docks, take a cab, or other public transport but thats extra time and money.

2. $16.20 round trip for a subway? Compared to places like DCA, ORD, ATL, SEA, PDX, etc., that's easily the most expensive I've seen.

Cheaper than NYC...if you take the EWR Air Train you're looking at $12.50 each way (and involves connecting from the EWR AirTrain to NJ Transit). The JFK Air Train can be had for as little as $7.25 if you ride the subway to either Jamaica Station or Howard Beach, but from Manhattan those rides can be epically long. If you take the Long Island Rail Road from Penn Station (you still need to change at Jamaica Station), you're looking at $13 each way.

Of course, NYC is the city that has $13 bridge tolls...

As far Fisherman's Wharf, it's really not too bad. The OP can get off BART at the Embarcadero station and then take the muni "F" trolley to Fisherman's Wharf, or the Powell-Hyde cable car from Union Square

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; Apr 21, 2012 at 3:03 pm
Old Apr 21, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by PDXPremier

There's an extra $4 surcharge for airport access each way. It does not compare well with many other cities but is comparable to others. At least it exists.

Newark and JFK both have comparable charges for airtrain, and BWI and IAD Transit options are similar to mOre expensive. Internationally, its all over the place, from 0.93 Euro to 11-14 euro.

I don't favor the surcharge myself but it's really in the high middle range rather than the highest. Half the charge is what a conventional onairport ride would cost for a similar trip.

Last edited by fanger; Apr 21, 2012 at 3:05 pm
Old Apr 21, 2012, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fanger
There's an extra $4 surcharge for airport access each way. It does not compare well with many other cities but is comparable to others. At least it exists.
It's a miracle they were able to extend BART to SFO at all, as the taxi and shuttle bus operator lobby held this expansion in a stranglehold for many years.

OP, you will find plenty of suggestions in the SF Forum.

Last edited by malgudi; Apr 21, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Programs: United 2P, QMM, eleVAte
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Here's a sampler of what you can do in San Francisco in 7 hrs.

Take BART to Powell.
Take Powell-Hyde cable car to Lombard St.
Get back on cable car to Fisherman's Wharf.
Take F tram to Ferry Building.
Dinner at either Fisherman's Wharf or Ferry Building; I prefer the latter, i.e. The Slanted Door.
Take BART from Embarcadero back to SFO.

Hope you have a grand time!
just as everyone else has said, you have plenty of time, and plan to take BART.

although this is person-dependent, i'd skip the whole cable car/fisherman's wharf portion and visit chinatown/north beach instead. bund shanghai is a good restaurant in chinatown if you want to eat there.

definitely visit the ferry building, and make sure you have some blue bottle if you're interested in coffee.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 3:00 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
A little OT, but relevant . . . I took that flight about a year and a half ago, was in the upper deck, and had a great FA taking care of us. It was the most relaxing, comfortable long-haul flight I've ever taken. I typically have a hard time sleeping on flights and easily got 6-8 hours of uninterrupted shuteye.

Have a great trip!
Old Apr 21, 2012, 3:01 pm

Sorry, taking a cab at rush hour to SF isn't a very wise suggestion.

Suggest taking BART to downtown (Powell St or Embarcadero) and wandering around.

Regarding customs arriving from Canada, all the major Canadian airports have U.S. immigration and customs pre-clearance, meaning that you go through U.S. immigration and customs before you get on your plane in Canada.

U.S. immigration and customs pre-clearance is at Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver and Winnipeg.

Once you have arrived, you can take a cab or BART to San Francisco. Either will take you about 30 minutes. If there is traffic, a cab could take up to an hour.

So if you arrive at 3:15 PM (assuming you are on time), you should be able to get in your cab or in the BART train by 3:45 PM or 4 PM, at the latest.

That means you would be in downtown San Francisco by about 4:30 PM.

In order to be back in time for your 10:45 PM to SYD, you need to plan to be back at the terminal by 9:15 PM, so you should plan to leave S.F. by 8:30 PM.

That would still give you 4 hours in the city, which I think is plenty. You can easily get around by walking or taking the pretty good public transportation (muni trolleys, buses or the cable car).
Old Apr 21, 2012, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malgudi
Sorry, taking a cab at rush hour to SF isn't a very wise suggestion.

Suggest taking BART to downtown (Powell St or Embarcadero) and wandering around.
That's why I mentioned BART...
Old Apr 21, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold 1 Presidence Circle
As far Fisherman's Wharf, it's really not too bad. The OP can get off BART at the Embarcadero station and then take the muni "F" trolley to Fisherman's Wharf, or the Powell-Hyde cable care from Union Square
And if you are a seafood lover, then any eatery on the Wharf will suffice. Suggest one of those take out place where they you can buy just cooked crab (they crack for you), sit outside, eat while watching the surrounding/people. Cheap and fast.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
One suggestion though. You might want to get back to SFO in time for a quick shower before your flight. Flying in from Canada, then an afternoon in town, then a 14+ hour flight. You will arrive in SYD a bit stinky.

I don't remember if the UA First lounge has showers. I know the arrivals lounge does, but it is closed by then. Maybe you can access another *A lounge. But I'd try to do it if possible.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA GS (via MM companion); SPG
Pretty much no local would be caught dead at Pier 39 / Fisherman's Wharf. Generic "tourist" shops & restaurants... you could be anywhere in the world.

Thumbs up on the Ferry Building. The wine merchant has nice wine & beer selection by the glass together with cheese & meat platters from neighboring shops. Hog Island has great oysters. For something more substantial you might enjoy eating at the upstairs bar at Epic Roasthouse, an expensive steak place 2 blocks south. No booking needed for upstairs, full menu avail. Killer views of the Bay Bridge. Fish place (Waterbar) is next door, same views but I've never been that impressed with the food there. There's also Boulevard, pricey, beautiful restaurant 1 block south on the opposite side of the street. Excellent food. You can eat at the bar / bar tables without a reservation, and they take a walk-in list for spots at the counter. Dungeness crab starter is excellent.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA mm, Marriott PLT, Hilton Dia
I know the consensus is BART, and I agree. But, if you should be tempted by rental car (say for the Golden Gate bridge), forget it. Parking can be very hard to find IME. I have actually turned around, parked outside the city, and taken BART back in when I could not find parking. Locals probably know where to find parking, but I sure couldn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.