Trendy Restaurants in San Francisco

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trendy Restaurants in San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2005, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I can enthusiastically second the recommendation for La Folie -- a meal from chef Roland Passot's kitchen (especially when accompanied by wines selected by his brother, Georges) is my idea of heaven-on-earth. The decor is fun (sophisticated whimsy) and the staff is professional but not stuffy. The food is fabulous and it's plated with visual artistry. By all means, leave room for dessert.

Ristorante Bacco in Noe Valley (on Diamond Street) serves wonderfully authentic Italian cuisine in a relaxed, comfortable setting at reasonable prices. IMHO they serve much better Italian food than anyting you'll find in North Beach.

Of course, you can always dress up and head down to the Financial District for perfect cocktails, exquisite caviar, predictably excellent food and great live jazz at Bix -- another one of my favorites, with ambiance straight out of the Cole Porter era.

I'd better stop here before I start to salivate and ruin this keyboard . . . have fun!
Old Jun 27, 2005, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I second the recommendation for Zuni in San Francisco. Ive been going there for 20 years and have yet to be anything but delighted. I always try to hit them on mileage runs or even with brief stops at SFO. I will sometimes arrange an early flight and grab a cab or cheap rental car and go to Zuni for dinner and come back to SFO and get the redeye. And yes, the chicken is great but so is everything. They somehow manage to get better east coast oysters than places in Manhattan and I cant figure out how

Another very unusual place is Greens. It is right on the Bay with fantastic views of the Golden Gate Bridge (from parts of the restaurant at least). They specialize in vegatarian food. Note, Im not at all a vegatarian, but I find the food unique and interesting.

Having said that I should add that I havent been to Chez Panisse in about 3 years so this is a little dated. However, I have been there maybe 10 times in the last 20 years. I have also been to about half of the top restaurants in Paris, all in New York (save a new one we are planning to hit in August) and several in Tokyo and London. Unless things have changed very recently, go to Chez Panisse. It is one of the top restaurants in the world, and one of the most inventive. Im not sure what you saw bad about it but I would be very skeptical of it unless I was very confident of the source. It is just stellar in my experience.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 8:26 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Another vote for Zuni Cafe. Cafe Kati perhaps?
Old Jun 27, 2005, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dhuey
Let me reveal my bias on the subject -- I think fine dining is overrated. I also think fine dining at trendy restaurants is extremely overrated. I've dined at several of the restaurants mentioned (Michael Mina's is indeed a terrific place), but SF is bursting at the seams with amazing restaurants. You have absolutely no need or reason to stress over reservations or wait in any line.

My advice: ask Bay Area folks for their favorite Hunan, Vietnamese, Indian, Eritrean, Mexican, Thai or Cambodian restaurant. Now you're talking! And you're not waiting in line.
I agree. Your food in the Bay Area is likely to be, luck of the draw, substantially better than anywhere in the U.S., if you just wander in someplace that "looks good." Most of my favorite places have been on a local recommendation, or even more often, just stumbled in. But there is nothing like having an excellent "destination dining" experience on occasion. Frankly, I don't like to have them too often - and it isn't just the cost, it would get old. I also eat home a lot. Even at that, we are spoiled. I get most of my fish and produce from non-supermarket places.

Back to the OP, I don't know where you are staying, but your hotel concierge may also be a source of great, not on the "you have to be seen", places, that will provide you with an exceptional meal in a great atmosphere. I'd also recommend that you check out www.chowhound.com for first hand and often very reliable, reviews.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 9:09 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Nice review of Zuni
http://sanfrancisco.about.com/cs/res...slz/a/zuni.htm
Old Jun 28, 2005, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Check out the SF Chronicle's annual list of Top 100 Restaurants.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...3/CMTOP100.DTL
Old Jun 28, 2005, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Great review. Makes me want to head to JFK

We first went there not long after it opened. We were going to be in the area and there was an article about it in the NY Times, written I believe by Elizabeth David, that described what was then the developing California cuisine. I also notice that in the restaurant ratings Chez Panisse is number one and Zuni half a star down. Seems reasonable to me.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1P, HH Gold
If you're looking for a trend in SF dining, I'd recommend a Peruvian restaurant. Some people like Limon - very trendy, decent food, although I prefer Mochica, which is not nearly as happening, but I think the food is better. There's also Fresca and Mi Lindo Peru.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by thesaints
If don't care about $$: Masa's, Aqua, Gary Danko, La Folie, Ana Mandara

If you do: Lulu, A16 (the only good Italian; avoid North Beach), Elite Cafe, Le Zinc.

(Currently) trendy places: Slanted Door, Blowfish Sushi, XYZ, Limon, Le Colonial, BIX

If you want the "real thing": Chez Panisse is 30 mins. by bart from SF downtown and you get to see Berkeley as well.
Survey 100 San Franciscans, and you'll get 101 answers. My take:

Lulu - past its prime, overpriced, dull. Also past its prime: Postrio, Greens, Palomino

A-16 - overrated, overpriced, crappy pizza (the signature dish). Also overrated: Fog City Diner, Stinking Rose, anything at Fisherman's Wharf.

Jardiniere - - avoid at all costs. rude, bad food, overrated, a nasty surprise. nothing good here. Also horrible: Trader Vics (reborn as evil twin)

Le Colonial - neutral - food and service are spotty, but nice decor

Slanted Door ^ - good location for tourists (ferry bldg) good food and views, service can be spotty, a bit overpriced but still "in"

Bix ^ ^ - excellent food and service, has been around a while but still fun

Zuni ^ - see Bix.

Jack Falstaff ^ - good food and service, trendy, not cheap

Ace Wasabi ^ ^ - hip, loud, good sushi, still "in"

Betelnut ^ - see Ace, but pan-asian instead of sushi.

Ponzu ^ - see Betelnut.

Ana Mandara ^ - see Betelnut, but more elegant atmosphere.

Bacar ^ - 300 wines by the glass, better version of A-16

Limon - Food was good but IMO a bit overpriced though portions are fine.

Last edited by Boraxo; Jul 20, 2005 at 11:47 am Reason: add more places
Old Jun 28, 2005, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Survey 100 San Franciscans, and you'll get 101 answers.
A fair statement if ever there was one.

My take:

Jardiniere - - avoid at all costs. rude, bad food, overrated, a nasty surprise. nothing good here.
I disagree. Every time I've been to Jardiniere the experience has been delightful.

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Two of my favorites are :Zuni and Tadich The roast chicken at Zuni is one of the best dishes on the planet. The Petrale Sole and the sourdough bread at Tadich are also divine.
and I'll disagree here as well. Tadich Grill is a tourist spot and they know it. The sourdough bread is good, but the service is arrogant.

I will add Scoma's to the list. "Behind" Fisherman's Wharf (or also in Sausalito), You get great service and great food with a traditional San Francisco dining experience.

Scoma's has their own fishing boats. You can watch them prepare the days catch for the kitchen if you arrive early for lunch.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Survey 100 San Franciscans, and you'll get 101 answers. My take:

A-16 - overrated, overpriced, crappy pizza (the signature dish). Also overrated: Fog City Diner, Stinking Rose, anything at Fisherman's Wharf.

Bacar ^ - 300 wines by the glass, better version of A-16

Bacar doesn't serve Italian food, so I don't really see the comparison.
The A16 pizza was the best I had in CA. Of course, coming from a Neapolitan family makes me a biased judge since for me that's what pizza is supposed to be like. I'm sure Chicagoans may think it sucks and will like Zachary's instead.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by birdstrike
Tadich Grill is a tourist spot and they know it. The sourdough bread is good, but the service is arrogant.
I've never had dinner at Tadich. However, lunchtime seems much more "business" than "tourist." The fish is very good, but I wouldn't call it "outstanding". The service is professional, but ... best described as utilitarian. I certainly wouldn't go there seeking a "trendy restaurant."
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
My experience at Jardiniere was only okay. I thought the service was fine, but I thought the food was only fair for outrageous prices and they've only gone up since!

I also thought Zuni had one of the best roast chickens I have ever had in my life.

I thought Bocadillos was a great lunch spot. Yummy and reasonable.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Bacar doesn't serve Italian food, so I don't really see the comparison.
Bacar, like A-16, specializes in wines by the glass. Not just a dozen, but more wines than you'll find at some of the "wine bars" in town. Bacar like A-16 features pizza, but unlike A-16 Bacar has a far more extensive menu and decent food.

The A16 pizza was the best I had in CA.
A-16 is probably the WORST pizza I have had in SF. If you want thin crust, you'll get a much tastier pizza and dozens of better topping options at California Pizza kitchen - at a lower price and with no snob attitude. If you want thick crust (which really is the way the best pizzas are made) then I recommend the Front Room on California Street @ Larkin - they deliver to all downtown hotels, too. MMMMM!
Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:43 am

My SF

I have a couple of downtown selections - especially good if you're in/around the city's business district. First is Aqua - quite a scene and in my mind, kind of the quintessential San Francisco modern restaurant. Very good [expensive] food in a beautiful room with strong service and a stylish, well-heeled crowd.

Another solid choice is Town Hall - which is also in the business district but South of Market [SoMa]. This is a fairly recent addition to the city's three star scene and has very well prepared, hearty American food in a sophisticated urban/country dining room. The dining room is in a renovated older building - one large room with a communal table up front [though the prices are anything but communal], always happening bar - and a large bustling dining room. I've been there numerous times - never a bad meal.

Boulevard is still a nice stop - think upscale French rustic food in a very pretty waterfront dining room. It's again - expensive.

One Market - around the corner - also very well known and lively.

Tartare - Relatively new and getting very good reviews. It's not cheap - but the service in stylish dining room is exceptional - as is the food.

Frisson - ok for appetizers or a small bite - this is more of a great stylish lounge to either kick it off before dinner - or after...a rope line goes up past 9pm or so; but if you can pull it off - you'll get in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.