FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trendy Restaurants in San Francisco
View Single Post
Old Jun 27, 2005, 9:00 pm
Eastbay1K
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dhuey
Let me reveal my bias on the subject -- I think fine dining is overrated. I also think fine dining at trendy restaurants is extremely overrated. I've dined at several of the restaurants mentioned (Michael Mina's is indeed a terrific place), but SF is bursting at the seams with amazing restaurants. You have absolutely no need or reason to stress over reservations or wait in any line.

My advice: ask Bay Area folks for their favorite Hunan, Vietnamese, Indian, Eritrean, Mexican, Thai or Cambodian restaurant. Now you're talking! And you're not waiting in line.
I agree. Your food in the Bay Area is likely to be, luck of the draw, substantially better than anywhere in the U.S., if you just wander in someplace that "looks good." Most of my favorite places have been on a local recommendation, or even more often, just stumbled in. But there is nothing like having an excellent "destination dining" experience on occasion. Frankly, I don't like to have them too often - and it isn't just the cost, it would get old. I also eat home a lot. Even at that, we are spoiled. I get most of my fish and produce from non-supermarket places.

Back to the OP, I don't know where you are staying, but your hotel concierge may also be a source of great, not on the "you have to be seen", places, that will provide you with an exceptional meal in a great atmosphere. I'd also recommend that you check out www.chowhound.com for first hand and often very reliable, reviews.