Connecting in SFO

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 25, 20, 12:08 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Official SFO terminal map
Check the official SFO airlines listing to see which concourse your airline generally arrives/departs from.

10/16/2019: gate numbering system changed. Gate numbers start with the concourse letter and the gate number, with each concourse starting at 1.
The map linked above shows the new numbers.

SFO has 4 main airside zones:

1. International Terminal A, Gates A1-A15

Airside Lounges:
  • Cathay Pacific - also accessible to Alaska Board Room members (FT Thread) (but alas, flying in F on Alaska does not by itself give you access).
  • Japan Airlines Sakura
  • Emirates
  • Air France/KLM - also accessible to Priority Pass holders departing International Terminal A (access may be restricted at certain hours)
  • British Airways (FT Thread)- includes a First Class section inside
  • China Airlines (recent TR w/photo link)
  • Philippine Airlines Mabuhay Lounge
  • Virgin Atlantic Club House - in the morning, it operates as a limited-service lounge for Priority Pass cardholders (maybe other cards?); in the afternoon, it's a full-service lounge serving eligible VS passengers pre-flight
[CONSTRUCTION: Note that the landside walkway between International-A and Terminal 1 will be closed for a long time (years -- [URL="https://www.flysfo.com/about-sfo/airport-development/t1"]current SFO construction page lists the current closures will continue through October 2018, with phased closures through project completion in 2024) during the renovation of Terminal 1. The only options are AirTrain (level 3) or walking all the way around through T2, T3 and International-G (~15-20 minute walk). Take the Blue Line from Int.-A to T1 and Red Line from T1 to Int.-A. Either way, you get off at the next stop.]

Closure info from flysfo.com

2. Terminal 1, Concourse B, Gates B6-B18
(as of November 1, 2019, gates B2-5, B10-B11, B15-B16, and B19-B27 are not yet built and gate B1 is planned for some point in the future)It's worth emphasizing that T1B (currently Southwest and Frontier) is not connected airside to T1C (Delta) or any other concourse.

3. Terminal 1, Concourse C, and Terminal 2, Gates C2-C11 and D1-D18
(as of November 1, 2019 gate C1 is planned for some point in the future)

Airside Lounges:
  • Delta Sky Club (FT Thread)
  • American Airlines Admirals Club (FT Thread)
  • Alaska Lounge [under construction as of Feb. 2020]
4. Terminal 3 and International Terminal G, Gates E1-E13, F1-F22, and G1-G14

Airside Lounges: Priority Pass eligible restaurants (T3 airside) [Note that PP card issued via American Express Platinum does not include "restaurant lounges"]: Landside lounge: It's possible to walk between gates in a single zone, but going from one zone to another requires clearing security. Several FTers have reported resistance from BP checkers and TSA agents when you try to enter a concourse that is not connected airside to your departure gate. They are mistaken; you can use a same day boarding pass departing SFO at any of the security checkpoints. Press the issue (politely), and you'll get in.

If you're arriving from an international destination, unless it's one of the pre-clearance airports, you'll have to clear Customs and Immigration at SFO and then need a departing boarding pass to clear security. SFO has the typical baggage re-check counters right after Customs for connecting passengers. They are usually open, but if closed, you'll need to lug your luggage to the regular domestic check-in counter of your connecting airline.

There's an AirTrain that runs between terminals (including the two parking garages connected to either side of the International Terminal) and the rental car center. Getting to the long term parking lot or lot D requires taking a shuttle bus. There is one on-airport hotel, a Grand Hyatt, accessible via the AirTrain. Personally, if forum regulars rob_flies_ua and dhuey need to connect between secure zones with only carry-ons, they just walk between terminals instead of waiting for the train. Returnoftheyeti and makfan will walk from BART to all terminals as well. [However, see above regarding Airtrain as the only way to get between International-A and Terminal 1 during the T1 redevelopment, which will take years.]

BART is the local regional commuter rail. The BART station is located on the north side of the airport, adjacent to International Terminal G. You can exit the paid area in two locations. One is by going up and escalator in the middle of the station and then connecting to the air train. You can also walk to the end of the station. Upon exiting you will be in the International terminal, near the chapel. A one-way ticket from SFO to downtown is $9.65 .

For things to do on your layover in SFO, check out http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-f...d-threads.html
Outside of the secure zone, but adjacent to International Terminal G is the SFO Museum

According to the T1 redevelopment page, plans include "convenient new post-security corridors connecting to the International Terminal A gates and Boarding Area C" from T1-B. If someone has a link to that timeline and wanted to add it here, that would be awesome.

This article indicates the post-security connector from T1-B to Intl-A will open in Q2-2021. Does not mention connector from T1-B to T1-C.

https://www.flysfo.com/media/press-r...inal-1-project

A Feb 2011 Planning presentation by WTS International suggests the I-A to T1 connector is in Phase 6 of the planning. We are currently in Phase 3 (Demolition and building of new T1B).

http://www.wtsinternational.org/asse...022311_SFO.pdf

March 2015 City government presentation suggests Phase 3 will continue to 2019-2020, and the final connector to International will be after 2020 (slides 9-10).

http://sfgov.org/arts/sites/sfgov.or...ion_031615.pdf

Full airside connectivity is expected to be completed in late 2021 (A to G would require passing through B, C, D, E and F).

https://www.flysfo.com/terminal-2-te...nector-closure

Print Wikipost

Old May 23, 16, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Check the BP for the ex-SFO flight that Qantas gives you to see if it says "Tsa Precheck".

If not, reprint the BP to pick up the designation.
Old Oct 5, 16, 10:25 pm

Programs: United, Hilton
I'm flying AS (Terminal A), but I'd like to use UA Club (have Club membership) if possible. Am I correct that this is impossible with AS boarding pass?

There's no way you can walk airside between A & T3 or between A & G, is there?
Old Oct 6, 16, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
I'm flying AS (Terminal A), but I'd like to use UA Club (have Club membership) if possible. Am I correct that this is impossible with AS boarding pass?

There's no way you can walk airside between A & T3 or between A & G, is there?
No way to walk airside, but you can clear security in any concourse at SFO with a BP departing any concourse.
Old Oct 6, 16, 12:59 am

Programs: United, Hilton
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua View Post
No way to walk airside, but you can clear security in any concourse at SFO with a BP departing any concourse.
Really? Did not know that.^ Thanks!
Old Oct 6, 16, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
Really? Did not know that.^ Thanks!
Yup. Some agents will try and steer you to the terminal for your BP, and just tell them you're here for the lounge. The T3 TSA all know that we're headed for the AX lounge.

I once got a lot of lip from the ticket checker (before TSA) challenging me on what lounge, it isn't in this terminal, and so on (I was going through Int'l G to get to 3). She finally relented. This only happened once.
Old Oct 21, 16, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I updated the wiki to reflect how the landslide walkway between International-A and Terminal 1 will be closed for years during the T1 redevelopment. This makes AirTrain the best choice in many situations where walking was previously the way to go.
Old Nov 23, 16, 8:29 pm
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
I updated the wiki to reflect how the landslide walkway between International-A and Terminal 1 will be closed for years during the T1 redevelopment. This makes AirTrain the best choice in many situations where walking was previously the way to go.
Thanks for the update, otherwise I would've found myself frustrated and confused! I used to find it faster (and more enjoyable) walking from BART through International to Terminal 1, but looks like I'm taking the AirTrain now...
Old Nov 23, 16, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Originally Posted by ryw View Post
Thanks for the update, otherwise I would've found myself frustrated and confused! I used to find it faster (and more enjoyable) walking from BART through International to Terminal 1, but looks like I'm taking the AirTrain now...
I completely forgot about this thread until I went down the escalator from Intl A today and was confronted by the closed doors AirTrain it is. Or the long way around if I want the extra steps
Old Nov 24, 16, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by ryw View Post
You may still wish to walk from BART to T1. It's only slightly longer to do that clockwise via T3 and T2. I walk outside on the sidewalk at the start of T3 as it's a little shorter and less congested.
Old Feb 27, 17, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA
Will be connecting through SFO to SYD originating in YVR. Arriving on AC to international G gates and departing international A gates. I understand that I will have to leave the secured area and go through security again. I have about 1 hour and 40 min. is this enough time?
Old Feb 27, 17, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by theshaun View Post
Will be connecting through SFO to SYD originating in YVR. Arriving on AC to international G gates and departing international A gates. I understand that I will have to leave the secured area and go through security again. I have about 1 hour and 40 min. is this enough time?
My understanding is that Vancouver has CBP preclearance, so it's as if you're arriving on a domestic flight (though you will have to enter security again on the A-side of International). Preclearance helps a lot. Yes, I think that is sufficient time for a connection. Of course you'll face problems if you have a long delay, but were I in your situation, I would feel comfortable with my odds.
Old Mar 2, 17, 11:26 am

Anyone have an issue using the delta sky club at sfo for outbound klm flight? Have biz seat and Amex Plt card, but would rather stay at delta sky club than klm lounge (awful) or go to Amex crowded one. Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 17, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA View Post
Anyone have an issue using the delta sky club at sfo for outbound klm flight? Have biz seat and Amex Plt card, but would rather stay at delta sky club than klm lounge (awful) or go to Amex crowded one. Thanks!
Just be aware that either of those choices will require you to exit and re-clear security to get to your flight, and if you go to the Delta Sky Club that the landside walkway between T1 and Intl-A is closed for renovations so you have to take the AirTrain.
Old Mar 2, 17, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA View Post
Have you been to the AF-KLM lounge in International-A since the renovation? It's pretty nice. Nothing extraordinary, but nice enough that I wouldn't go to the trouble of an extra trip through security in another terminal.
Old Mar 2, 17, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
Have you been to the AF-KLM lounge in International-A since the renovation? It's pretty nice. Nothing extraordinary, but nice enough that I wouldn't go to the trouble of an extra trip through security in another terminal.

I was last there in October. Has it changed since then?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: