Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Official SFO terminal map
Check the official SFO airlines listing to see which concourse your airline generally arrives/departs from.

Gate numbers at SFO now include both the concourse letter and the gate number, starting over at 1 for each concourse. Prior to Oct 16, 2019 gates were simply numbered 1-102 starting from 1 in the A concourse through 102 in the G concourse.

SFO has 2 main airside zones:

1. International Terminal A, Gates A1-A15 and Terminal 1 (Harvey Milk), Concourse B, Gates B1-B27

[Note that there is a short airside corridor between the A and B Concourses. You can enter security from A and go to B gates, and vice versa. The AirTrain station at Terminal 1-B is temporarily closed as of 9-22-21.]

Airside Lounges in International-A:
  • Cathay Pacific (near A1) - TEMPORARILY CLOSED AS OF 9/22/21
  • Japan Airlines Sakura (near A1)
  • Emirates (between A2-6) TEMPORARILY CLOSED AS OF 9/22/21
  • Air France/KLM (near A1) - also accessible to Priority Pass holders departing International Terminal A (access may be restricted at certain hours)
  • British Airways (between A5-9) (FT Thread) - includes a First Class section inside
  • China Airlines (near A1) (recent TR w/photo link)
  • Philippine Airlines Mabuhay Lounge (near A1) TEMPORARILY CLOSED AS OF 9/22/21
  • Virgin Atlantic Club House (near A1) - also accesible to AMEX Platinum/Centurion cardholders
Airside Lounges in Terminal 1-B (Harvey Milk):
  • American Airlines Admirals Club (near B13)
[CONSTRUCTION UPDATE: Both the airside and landside corridors between International-A and Terminal 1-B (Harvey Milk) are now open. It's about a five-minute walk between terminals.] Closure info from flysfo.com

2. Terminal 2, Concourses C and D, Terminal 3, Concourses E and F and International Terminal G, Gates C2-C11, D1-D18, E1-E13, F1-F22, and G1-G14
(as of November 1, 2019 gate C1 is planned for some point in the future)

[Note that there are short airside corridors between the C and D Concourses, the D and E Concourses, and the F and G Concourses. You can enter security from C, D, E, F, or G Concourses and go to gates in any of this group of Concourses.]

Airside Lounges:
Landside SkyTerrace open Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon 10a-6p: (FlySFO) (FT Thread)

Priority Pass eligible restaurants. [Note that PP card issued via American Express Platinum does not include "restaurant lounges"]: There is an outdoor viewing deck (post-security) in terminal G open daily 7a-11:30p: (FlySFO) (FT Thread)

It's possible to walk between gates in a single zone, but going from one zone to another requires clearing security. Several FTers have reported resistance from BP checkers and TSA agents when you try to enter a concourse that is not connected airside to your departure gate. They are mistaken; you can use a same day boarding pass departing SFO at any of the security checkpoints. Press the issue (politely), and you'll get in.

The landside connector between B and C is currently closed due to construction. To go between these two terminals you either need to go upstairs and take the AirTrain, or go down into the parking garage where you can walk freely (on well-marked pedestrian crosswalks) between terminals as well (pictures for walking in the garage can be found in post 512)

If you're arriving from an international destination, unless it's one of the pre-clearance airports, you'll have to clear Customs and Immigration at SFO and then need a departing boarding pass to clear security. SFO has the typical baggage re-check counters right after Customs for connecting passengers. They are usually open, but if closed, you'll need to lug your luggage to the regular domestic check-in counter of your connecting airline.

There's an AirTrain that runs between terminals (including the two parking garages connected to either side of the International Terminal) and the rental car center. AirTrain now has a stop at the long term parking lot. There is one on-airport hotel, a Grand Hyatt, accessible via the AirTrain. Personally, if forum regulars rob_flies_ua and dhuey need to connect between secure zones with only carry-ons, they just walk between terminals instead of waiting for the train. Returnoftheyeti and makfan will walk from BART to all terminals as well.

BART is the local regional commuter rail. The BART station is located on the north side of the airport, adjacent to International Terminal G. You can exit the paid area in two locations. One is by going up an escalator in the middle of the station and then connecting to the air train. You can also walk to the end of the station. Upon exiting you will be in the International terminal, near the chapel. A one-way ticket from SFO to downtown is $9.65.

For things to do on your layover in SFO, check out http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-f...d-threads.html
Outside of the secure zone, but adjacent to International Terminal G is the SFO Museum

Renovation of Boarding Area C will include a connector to T1-B and is expected to be completed by 2024, following which the entire airport will be connected airside (however going from A to G would require passing through B, C, D, E and F).

AirTrain Map:

As the map shows, Red Line runs clockwise; Blue Line runs counterclockwise. The mistake to avoid is getting on the Blue Line and heading off to the rental car center and long term parking lot when you were only trying to go from one terminal to another (e.g., don't take Blue when you want to go from International-G to Terminal 1). CAUTION: recently when arriving in the late evening, the red line has been closed, and only the blue line is operating but in the opposite direction from the arrows show. Keep an eye out for "sandwich board" signs on the platform, and pay attention to the overhead video screens by the boarding doors for accurate real-time directional info.
Print Wikipost

Connecting in SFO

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2017, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by dabbler
Yes to checking a bag. Will I have to collect it and re-check in to UA? So 1hr20 is impossible.

I just looked and the flight they put me on is the last of the day. UA flights to HNL seem to stop at 6pm. Next flight isn't until 12 hours later.

Really not sure what to do now.
Either to contact the OTA now and get them to move me to the flight the morning after?
OR just do nothing and pray the airline don't raise their eyebrows if they can see what I paid for the ticket when they reschedule me. Then spend a night in SFO?
I doubt the amount you paid will have any effect on things. Agents probably wouldn't even notice that.

It's possible that you can make this connection, even with a checked bag. You would want to be seated as close as possible to the exit, and you want to really hustle to the Immigration hall after you deplane. And you need to hustle with your bag to the baggage re-check just outside of Customs in the International terminal.

If you miss the connection, I think United is likely to put you on the next flight since they changed your outbound flight time by a full hour. Be sure to have documents at the ready to show an agent the original departure time and the change. You can rightly say that you missed the flight only because United bumped the flight time up so much.

By the way, do you know if you will be able to have your bag tagged for HNL when you check in at LHR (I assume on either British Airways or Virgin Atlantic)? That's pretty important because you need that to be able to re-check the bag outside of Customs. Otherwise you'll have to lug that bag over to United domestic check-in, and that's about a 15-minute walk.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:51 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dhuey
Otherwise you'll have to lug that bag over to United domestic check-in, and that's about a 15-minute walk.
...and, with the change of airline, they may try to charge you the domestic bag fee?
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by dabbler
Yes to checking a bag. Will I have to collect it and re-check in to UA? So 1hr20 is impossible.

I just looked and the flight they put me on is the last of the day. UA flights to HNL seem to stop at 6pm. Next flight isn't until 12 hours later.

Really not sure what to do now.
Either to contact the OTA now and get them to move me to the flight the morning after?
OR just do nothing and pray the airline don't raise their eyebrows if they can see what I paid for the ticket when they reschedule me. Then spend a night in SFO?
Yes, no late flights to Hawaii.

On the plus side I've often arrived at 5pm to find no lines as immigration. So IMO the biggest problem is the checked bag. If it doesn't arrive by the UA cutoff then you are SOL on the connection. And not sure which airline you are flying but if it's BA then you will be arriving at a different wing of the international terminal so you will have to go upstairs after exiting customs to the UA checkin desk where there are often lines. Ditto for checking in the domestic terminal.

If you can somehow figure a way to survive with carry-ons (this is Hawaii after all where you don't need jackets ) then your odds of making the connection will jump dramatically. You might also consider downloading the CBP Smart Traveler App which can expedite immigration.

If you decide to reschedule I think the better option would be to move your LHR-SFO flight but I think the OTA will find that challenging since it is a different carrier.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Boraxo
And not sure which airline you are flying but if it's BA then you will be arriving at a different wing of the international terminal so you will have to go upstairs after exiting customs to the UA checkin desk where there are often lines. Ditto for checking in the domestic terminal.
Will United let you check in and drop a bag at International check-in for a domestic flight? I've never tried that.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
Will United let you check in and drop a bag at International check-in for a domestic flight? I've never tried that.
I never have either but I don't see why not. Occasionally domestic flights depart from the international terminal.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Just to clarify, if I arrive in T3 connecting (3 hours) will I be able to re-clear security at T2 for the Admiral's Club with my T3 United boarding pass?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Just to clarify, if I arrive in T3 connecting (3 hours) will I be able to re-clear security at T2 for the Admiral's Club with my T3 United boarding pass?
Yes, you can get into any terminal with a same day SFO-departing BP.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 6:17 pm

I'm flying AKL-SFO-DEN on Thursday. My flight bookings had me arriving at SFO at 12:55 and departing at 17:03. Due to a fuel shortage at AKL, NZ8 is diverting to Fiji for refueling. Today's NZ8 flight arrived at SFO at 15:20.
Assuming Thursday will be similar, will we have enough time to connect?
- We are arriving on NZ8 and connecting on UA922. I see this has used gates 64, 81, 94.
- We are not American and will have to clear immigration & customs with other international travellers
- We have carry-on only
- AKL-SFO & SFO-DEN are booked separately. I do not expect to get our SFO-DEN boarding passes in AKL. I will try using the United app for a mobile check-in to mitigate this.

I've seen conflicting statements about being able to transit without going through security again. Is this possible when going International to Domestic?

Last edited by Shadowfoot; Sep 17, 2017 at 7:46 pm
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shadowfoot
I'm flying AKL-SFO-DEN on Thursday. My flight bookings had me arriving at SFO at 12:55 and departing at 17:03. Due to a fuel shortage at AKL, NZ8 is diverting to Fiji for refueling. Today's NZ8 flight arrived at SFO at 15:20.
Assuming Thursday will be similar, will we have enough time to connect?
- We are arriving on NZ8 and connecting on UA922. I see this has used gates 64, 81, 94.
- We are not American and will have to clear immigration & customs with other international travellers
- We have carry-on only
- AKL-SFO & SFO-DEN are booked separately. I do not expect to get our SFO-DEN boarding passes in AKL. I will try using the United app for a mobile check-in to mitigate this.

I've seen conflicting statements about being able to transit without going through security again. Is this possible when going International to Domestic?
Should be plenty of time, I don't think 3pm is too busy at immigration.

You will have to walk from International arrivals to your gate, which could be anywhere from <5m (gate 94) to 20m (gates 64 or 81). However you will have to clear security again as customs exit will dump you outside sterile area. Hopefully someone else can chime in on the security lines (I have Clear so I never have to wait).
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:39 am

Hello everyone. I need some insight here.

Later this week I'm flying UA from EWR to YVR. I have 2-hour layover at SFO. I'm under the impression that my EWR-outbound flight and my YVR-inbound connecting flight are on the same UA ticket.

From what I understand, all UA flights arrive and depart from SFO's Terminal 3.

I've never connected at SFO before, especially for a Canada-bound flight. So I have a few concerns.

Will my checked luggage be checked all the way to YVR? Or will I have to reclaim my luggage at SFO?

Will I have to switch from Terminal 3 to another terminal at SFO in order catch my connecting flight? Will I have to change Boarding Areas?

Will I have to re-clear TSA screening at SFO?

I've been having nightmares about my upcoming EWR-SFO-YVR trip. So I could you some of your expertise.

Thank you everyone.

Last edited by Jericho-79; Sep 25, 2017 at 10:54 am
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:15 pm

Your bags will be checked through.

You will arrive at terminal 3 and I believe UA flights to YVR also leave from terminal 3. If it's an Air Canada code share it will leave from International G, either way you do NOT need to re-clear TSA.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jericho-79

I've been having nightmares about my upcoming EWR-SFO-YVR trip. So I could you some of your expertise.
You should be fine. Your luggage can be checked through to YVR (in fact not possible to reclaim!) and you will not have to re-clear TSA security.

While it is possible your connection will depart from international terminal that scenario is unlikely - more probably that you will connect within T-3 where your longest walk will be be 15m.

The only variable would be a flight delay from EWR. Evening flights are more prone to delay but largely depends on the weather. Which is pretty stellar for September & October
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by iamflyer
Your bags will be checked through.

You will arrive at terminal 3 and I believe UA flights to YVR also leave from terminal 3. If it's an Air Canada code share it will leave from International G, either way you do NOT need to re-clear TSA.
Originally Posted by Boraxo
You should be fine. Your luggage can be checked through to YVR (in fact not possible to reclaim!) and you will not have to re-clear TSA security.

While it is possible your connection will depart from international terminal that scenario is unlikely - more probably that you will connect within T-3 where your longest walk will be be 15m.
That's a relief. So let me get this straight. The SFO-YVR portion of my trip is not considered an international flight, per se?

Well, my only concern now is my YVR-LAX-ATL trip next week. For that itinerary, I have to fly Westjet from YVR to LAX, and then DL from LAX to ATL, not knowing whether or not I'll have to reclaim my luggage and re-clear TSA security.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:19 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Jericho-79
That's a relief. So let me get this straight. The SFO-YVR portion of my trip is not considered an international flight, per se?

Well, my only concern now is my YVR-LAX-ATL trip next week. For that itinerary, I have to fly Westjet from YVR to LAX, and then DL from LAX to ATL, not knowing whether or not I'll have to reclaim my luggage and re-clear TSA security.
Yes, the SFO-YVR portion is considered international. But the US doesn't have any immigration or customs check when you leave the country, only when you enter. So it would be the same procedure as if you were flying a domestic US flight with a connection (except you'll need a passport instead of other forms of ID).

Normally, when you enter back into the US you'll need to reclaim bags and re-clear TSA. However, YVR has preclearance, so most likely (as long as you're not flying late at night) you'll actually clear US customs in Canada before you get onto your YVR-LAX flight, and you'll land at LAX as if you're a domestic flight (So no reclaiming bags or re-clearing TSA). I believe WestJet is now in T2, and DL flights leave from T2, T3, or the international terminal. DL has airside shuttles between those 3 terminals so you won't have to re-clear security (the LAX/Los Angeles connecting thread folks can probably verify that).
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:52 pm

Hey all. Very happy I found this thread. I’ve never connected through SFO for a domestic-to-international flight and want to make sure I know what I’m in for.

Next week, I’m flying DEN-SFO on Southwest (Terminal 1B (“T1B”)). I have a 3-hour layover and then fly SFO-ICN on Korean (Int. Terminal A (“ITA”)).

From om what I’ve read in this thread, I’ll need to go landslide from T1B, grab checked bags, take Airtrain to ITA, and go back through security. Is my summary correct? I have PreCheck, so hopefully the layover time is sufficient.

On the return leg, ICN-SFO, I’m on Korean and then transferring to United for SFO-DEN (with checked bags). My understanding is that I’ll have to, again, go landslide and back through security, but please let me know if there’s a way to go airside to Terminal 3 from ITA. I’m not aware of a way to check through bags from Korean to United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.