Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Official SFO terminal map
Check the official SFO airlines listing to see which concourse your airline generally arrives/departs from.

Gate numbers at SFO now include both the concourse letter and the gate number, starting over at 1 for each concourse. Prior to Oct 16, 2019 gates were simply numbered 1-102 starting from 1 in the A concourse through 102 in the G concourse.

SFO has 2 main airside zones:

1. International Terminal A, Gates A1-A15 and Terminal 1 (Harvey Milk), Concourse B, Gates B1-B27

[Note that there is a short airside corridor between the A and B Concourses. You can enter security from A and go to B gates, and vice versa. The AirTrain station at Terminal 1-B is temporarily closed as of 9-22-21.]

Airside Lounges in International-A:
  • Cathay Pacific (near A1) - TEMPORARILY CLOSED AS OF 9/22/21
  • Japan Airlines Sakura (near A1)
  • Emirates (between A2-6) TEMPORARILY CLOSED AS OF 9/22/21
  • Air France/KLM (near A1) - also accessible to Priority Pass holders departing International Terminal A (access may be restricted at certain hours)
  • British Airways (between A5-9) (FT Thread) - includes a First Class section inside
  • China Airlines (near A1) (recent TR w/photo link)
  • Philippine Airlines Mabuhay Lounge (near A1) TEMPORARILY CLOSED AS OF 9/22/21
  • Virgin Atlantic Club House (near A1) - also accesible to AMEX Platinum/Centurion cardholders
Airside Lounges in Terminal 1-B (Harvey Milk):
  • American Airlines Admirals Club (near B13)
[CONSTRUCTION UPDATE: Both the airside and landside corridors between International-A and Terminal 1-B (Harvey Milk) are now open. It's about a five-minute walk between terminals.] Closure info from flysfo.com

2. Terminal 2, Concourses C and D, Terminal 3, Concourses E and F and International Terminal G, Gates C2-C11, D1-D18, E1-E13, F1-F22, and G1-G14
(as of November 1, 2019 gate C1 is planned for some point in the future)

[Note that there are short airside corridors between the C and D Concourses, the D and E Concourses, and the F and G Concourses. You can enter security from C, D, E, F, or G Concourses and go to gates in any of this group of Concourses.]

Airside Lounges:
Landside SkyTerrace open Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon 10a-6p: (FlySFO) (FT Thread)

Priority Pass eligible restaurants. [Note that PP card issued via American Express Platinum does not include "restaurant lounges"]: There is an outdoor viewing deck (post-security) in terminal G open daily 7a-11:30p: (FlySFO) (FT Thread)

It's possible to walk between gates in a single zone, but going from one zone to another requires clearing security. Several FTers have reported resistance from BP checkers and TSA agents when you try to enter a concourse that is not connected airside to your departure gate. They are mistaken; you can use a same day boarding pass departing SFO at any of the security checkpoints. Press the issue (politely), and you'll get in.

The landside connector between B and C is currently closed due to construction. To go between these two terminals you either need to go upstairs and take the AirTrain, or go down into the parking garage where you can walk freely (on well-marked pedestrian crosswalks) between terminals as well (pictures for walking in the garage can be found in post 512)

If you're arriving from an international destination, unless it's one of the pre-clearance airports, you'll have to clear Customs and Immigration at SFO and then need a departing boarding pass to clear security. SFO has the typical baggage re-check counters right after Customs for connecting passengers. They are usually open, but if closed, you'll need to lug your luggage to the regular domestic check-in counter of your connecting airline.

There's an AirTrain that runs between terminals (including the two parking garages connected to either side of the International Terminal) and the rental car center. AirTrain now has a stop at the long term parking lot. There is one on-airport hotel, a Grand Hyatt, accessible via the AirTrain. Personally, if forum regulars rob_flies_ua and dhuey need to connect between secure zones with only carry-ons, they just walk between terminals instead of waiting for the train. Returnoftheyeti and makfan will walk from BART to all terminals as well.

BART is the local regional commuter rail. The BART station is located on the north side of the airport, adjacent to International Terminal G. You can exit the paid area in two locations. One is by going up an escalator in the middle of the station and then connecting to the air train. You can also walk to the end of the station. Upon exiting you will be in the International terminal, near the chapel. A one-way ticket from SFO to downtown is $9.65.

For things to do on your layover in SFO, check out http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-f...d-threads.html
Outside of the secure zone, but adjacent to International Terminal G is the SFO Museum

Renovation of Boarding Area C will include a connector to T1-B and is expected to be completed by 2024, following which the entire airport will be connected airside (however going from A to G would require passing through B, C, D, E and F).

AirTrain Map:

As the map shows, Red Line runs clockwise; Blue Line runs counterclockwise. The mistake to avoid is getting on the Blue Line and heading off to the rental car center and long term parking lot when you were only trying to go from one terminal to another (e.g., don't take Blue when you want to go from International-G to Terminal 1). CAUTION: recently when arriving in the late evening, the red line has been closed, and only the blue line is operating but in the opposite direction from the arrows show. Keep an eye out for "sandwich board" signs on the platform, and pay attention to the overhead video screens by the boarding doors for accurate real-time directional info.
Print Wikipost

Connecting in SFO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
It will probably be contained by the time the OP flies but OGG is closed due to brush fires. Flights are being diverted .
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by minhaoxue
It will probably be contained by the time the OP flies but OGG is closed due to brush fires. Flights are being diverted .
Thanks for the info yes should be clear by the time I fly.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL DM SPG Gold
So I have a SFO question ..

My in-laws are flying in internationally on Turkish Airlines to SFO. I then have them booked on a Delta flight domestically. And I am planning on flying into SFO beforehand to help shepherd them through the language barrier.

So my question is this. When they land .. they will clear Immigration and Customs. Where can I meet them to take them on to the Delta ticketing counter and help them check their luggage and fly out with them?

-ib
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: AS — views are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer
Originally Posted by izmirbound

My in-laws are flying in internationally on Turkish Airlines to SFO. I then have them booked on a Delta flight domestically. And I am planning on flying into SFO beforehand to help shepherd them through the language barrier.

So my question is this. When they land .. they will clear Immigration and Customs. Where can I meet them to take them on to the Delta ticketing counter and help them check their luggage and fly out with them?

-ib
You can meet them at International Terminal arrivals level (Level 2). There are 2 adjacent exit doors that arriving passengers come through after immigration/customs, with screens indicating specific arriving flights. Most likely Turkish Airlines will come through the Exit G door (towards the left), but in any case this is a relatively small and manageable area. For reference there is a Starbucks between the exit doors.

Then all of you can take the AirTrain to Terminal 1 (Delta): walk towards the A end of the hall (to the right when facing inward) and take the elevator up to the AirTrain (Level 4). Take the AirTrain blue line just 1 stop to Terminal 1.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by izmirbound

-ib
Right outside of Customs in the International Terminal, arrivals level. There are two exits; Turkish Airlines comes into the G-side of International. That's to the left as you face the exits.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by skyblue
You can meet them at International Terminal arrivals level (Level 2). There are 2 adjacent exit doors that arriving passengers come through after immigration/customs, with screens indicating specific arriving flights.
There's 4 exits - two on the front for arriving passengers (one from Intl A immigration, one from Intl G), and two on the back for connecting passengers (same A/G split). Historically they would likely have been directed to the "connecting passengers" door by customs (based on the address on their customs form), however since they have re-arranged customs it's likely that there's nobody there to actually point them that way.

Presuming their Delta flight is on a separate ticket, you'll be best to tell them to take the door for "Arriving passengers", which will be on the right as they come out of the baggage claim area (presuming they arrive into Intl G, which as far as I'm aware TK always does).

If their Delta flight is on the same ticket, and if TK manages to actually tag the bags all the way through then it'll actually be easier to get them to go through the 'Connecting Passengers' door, at which point you can meet them there, but this is a bit harder for you to find. You need to go across the check-in level, down the escalators, and then turn right (if you've coming from Intl G end), or left (from Intl A). You'll be in a long corridor which has two seats of big glass doors with "No entry" on them which is what you're after - specifically the one on the Intl G end of the terminal. The advantage of meeting there is that you can then walk a few meters to the Intl A baggage drop-off and re-check their bags.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: TK*G elite plus
SFO Delta to International to AMEX lounge...

hi all! arriving on a domestic Delta flight at SFO, connecting to Air France at international terminal but want to spend time at the Centurion Lounge T3. how do i do that?! Can i connect to those terminal airside? i would hate going through security again... i have a little over 3 hours total. THANKS!
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:57 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by cleofilms
hi all! arriving on a domestic Delta flight at SFO, connecting to Air France at international terminal but want to spend time at the Centurion Lounge T3. how do i do that?! Can i connect to those terminal airside? i would hate going through security again... i have a little over 3 hours total. THANKS!
None of those are connected airside, i.e. you are already going to have to exit and then reclear security going from DL at Terminal 1 to AF in International A concourse. Whether you want to go through security a 2nd time to access the Centurion Lounge in T3 is up to you (presumably you've seen the discussion in the AMEX forum about how crowded it is)

You'd probably be better off spending time in the DL SkyClub in T1 leaving yourself enough time to cross over to A afterward.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:26 am

Zorak has a good idea there, but it would only work for you (not sure if you'll be solo). Amex Plat will get you into the DL lounge with your DL boarding pass, but guests cost extra.

The Centurion Lounge would require a 10-minute walk or so and an extra trip though security. You can bring in up to two guests. It's a very nice lounge, but often crowded.

Your Amex-issued Priority Pass will get you and up to two guests into the Air France lounge, but only during certain times of day: 08:00 - 11:30 & 15:30 - 18:30 & 20:30 - 23:45. You mentioned connecting with an AF flight, which I suspect means that you will not have access during the time you'll be at SFO. (You didn't mention having Sky Team status or flying in First or Business.)

If it's just you, I'd recommend the DL lounge. If you have a guest or two, I'd head to the Centurion. I'd leave the DL lounge at least one hour prior to your departure time. Take the Air Train Red Line one stop from Terminal 1 to International-A. You'll see lots of signs for AirTrain. You'll go up one level and cross a bridge for the T1 station.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:19 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by dhuey
Zorak has a good idea there, but it would only work for you (not sure if you'll be solo). Amex Plat will get you into the DL lounge with your DL boarding pass, but guests cost extra.
This is a good point if OP is not traveling solo (I assumed from the post but you know what that makes me ).

Although FWIW if OP is flying on STE+ status then they can also admit one guest into the SC. Or if the international leg is in J/F each traveler will have access.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
This is a good point if OP is not traveling solo (I assumed from the post but you know what that makes me ).

Although FWIW if OP is flying on STE+ status then they can also admit one guest into the SC. Or if the international leg is in J/F each traveler will have access.
True, but with status or premium cabin access, I think the Air France lounge makes more sense. Then OP can stay until just about boarding time, whereas with the DL lounge OP would need to factor in walking, AirTrain and potential delays at International-A security. Not mutually-exclusive, though, so OP could pop into the DL for a bit and then lounge-hop over to AF.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: TK*G elite plus
Originally Posted by dhuey
True, but with status or premium cabin access, I think the Air France lounge makes more sense. Then OP can stay until just about boarding time, whereas with the DL lounge OP would need to factor in walking, AirTrain and potential delays at International-A security. Not mutually-exclusive, though, so OP could pop into the DL for a bit and then lounge-hop over to AF.
I’m traveling solo in business. I’ll go to the AF lounge and go from there!! Thanks for all your comments!
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:43 pm

I’m traveling solo in business. I’ll go to the AF lounge and go from there!! Thanks for all your comments!
Alright then. You could pop into the Delta lounge before you exit T1-C security. It's a really nice lounge. You've got the time.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 1:53 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Our family will be taking TP 237 LIS-SFO in early January. Scheduled arrival time at SFO is 1:46 pm though FlightAware shows a range from 2:02 pm to 3:28 pm.

I am considering taking a 6:45 pm flight with UA to come back to LA. Is that enough time to make the connection? We will have checked luggage. We all have US passports. I am *G with OZ. The two segments will be on different tickets.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
Our family will be taking TP 237 LIS-SFO in early January. Scheduled arrival time at SFO is 1:46 pm though FlightAware shows a range from 2:02 pm to 3:28 pm.

I am considering taking a 6:45 pm flight with UA to come back to LA. Is that enough time to make the connection? We will have checked luggage. We all have US passports. I am *G with OZ. The two segments will be on different tickets.
That should still allow plenty of time. Not that things can't happen, but your longhaul arrival will be given landing priority during any inclement weather, you've got a 3+ hour connection on a US Passport, and the odds of a delayed SFO/LAX are high in January, plus there are frequent flights available if you miss one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.