Connecting in SFO

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 30, 19, 9:41 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: rob_flies_ua
Wiki Link
Official SFO terminal map
Check the official SFO airlines listing to see which concourse your airline generally arrives/departs from.

SFO has 4 main airside zones:

1. International Terminal, Concourse A, Gates A1-A12
Airside Lounges:
  • Cathay Pacific - also accessible to Alaska Board Room members (FT Thread) (but alas, flying in F on Alaska does not by itself give you access).
  • Japan Airlines Sakura
  • Emirates
  • Air France/KLM - also accessible to Priority Pass holders departing Concourse A (access may be restricted at certain hours)
  • British Airways (FT Thread)- includes a First Class section inside
  • China Airlines (recent TR w/photo link)
  • Philippine Airlines Mabuhay Lounge
Landside Lounge:
[CONSTRUCTION: Note that the landside walkway between International-A and Terminal 1 will be closed for a long time (years -- [URL="https://www.flysfo.com/about-sfo/airport-development/t1"]current SFO construction page lists the current closures will continue through October 2018, with phased closures through project completion in 2024) during the renovation of Terminal 1. The only options are AirTrain (level 3) or walking all the way around through T2, T3 and International-G (~15-20 minute walk). Take the Blue Line from Int.-A to T1 and Red Line from T1 to Int.-A. Either way, you get off at the next stop.]

Closure info from flysfo.com

2. Terminal 1, Concourse B, Gates 20-39
It's worth emphasizing that T1B (currently Southwest and Frontier) is not connected airside to T1C (Delta) or any other concourse.
3. Terminal 1, Concourse C and Terminal 2, Concourse D, Gates 40-59
Airside Lounges:
4. Terminal 3, Concourses E and F, and International Terminal, Concourse G, Gates 60-90 and G91-G102
Airside Lounges: Priority Pass eligible restaurants (T3 airside): Landside lounge:
It's possible to walk between gates in a single zone, but going from one zone to another requires clearing security. Several FTers have reported resistance from BP checkers and TSA agents when you try to enter a concourse that is not connected airside to your departure gate. They are mistaken; you can use a same day boarding pass departing SFO at any of the security checkpoints. Press the issue (politely), and you'll get in.

If you're arriving from an international destination, unless it's one of the pre-clearance airports, you'll have to clear Customs and Immigration at SFO and then need a departing boarding pass to clear security. SFO has the typical baggage re-check counters right after Customs for connecting passengers. They are usually open, but if closed, you'll need to lug your luggage to the regular domestic check-in counter of your connecting airline.

There's an AirTrain that runs between terminals (including the two parking garages connected to either side of the International Terminal) and the rental car center. Getting to the long term parking lot or lot D requires taking a shuttle bus. There are currently no on-airport hotels, although that's expected to change by mid-2019. Personally, if forum regulars rob_flies_ua and dhuey need to connect between secure zones with only carry-ons, they just walk between terminals instead of waiting for the train. Returnoftheyeti will walk from BART to all terminals as well. [However, see above regarding Airtrain as the only way to get between International-A and Terminal 1 during the T1 redevelopment, which will take years.]

BART is the local regional commuter rail. The BART station is located on the north side of the airport, adjacent to International Terminal G. You can exit the paid area in two locations. One is by going up and escalator in the middle of the station and then connecting to the air train. You can also walk to the end of the station. Upon exiting you will be in the International terminal, near the chapel. A one-way ticket from SFO to downtown is $8.65 .

For things to do on your layover in SFO, check out http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-f...d-threads.html
Outside of the secure zone, but adjacent to International Termal G is the SFO Museum

According to the T1 redevelopment page, plans include "convenient new post-security corridors connecting to the International Terminal A gates and Boarding Area C" from T1-B. If someone has a link to that timeline and wanted to add it here, that would be awesome.

A Feb 2011 Planning presentation by WTS International suggests the I-A to T1 connector is in Phase 6 of the planning. We are currently in Phase 3 (Demolition and building of new T1B).

http://www.wtsinternational.org/asse...022311_SFO.pdf

March 2015 City government presentation suggests Phase 3 will continue to 2019-2020, and the final connector to International will be after 2020 (slides 9-10).

http://sfgov.org/arts/sites/sfgov.or...ion_031615.pdf
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 11, 19, 10:27 pm

Programs: CA Gold/ UA 1K.. Marriott/SPG Platinum
It will probably be contained by the time the OP flies but OGG is closed due to brush fires. Flights are being diverted .
Old Jul 11, 19, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by minhaoxue View Post
It will probably be contained by the time the OP flies but OGG is closed due to brush fires. Flights are being diverted .
Thanks for the info yes should be clear by the time I fly.
Old Jul 14, 19, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL DM SPG Gold
So I have a SFO question ..

My in-laws are flying in internationally on Turkish Airlines to SFO. I then have them booked on a Delta flight domestically. And I am planning on flying into SFO beforehand to help shepherd them through the language barrier.

So my question is this. When they land .. they will clear Immigration and Customs. Where can I meet them to take them on to the Delta ticketing counter and help them check their luggage and fly out with them?

-ib
Old Jul 14, 19, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by izmirbound View Post

My in-laws are flying in internationally on Turkish Airlines to SFO. I then have them booked on a Delta flight domestically. And I am planning on flying into SFO beforehand to help shepherd them through the language barrier.

So my question is this. When they land .. they will clear Immigration and Customs. Where can I meet them to take them on to the Delta ticketing counter and help them check their luggage and fly out with them?

-ib
You can meet them at International Terminal arrivals level (Level 2). There are 2 adjacent exit doors that arriving passengers come through after immigration/customs, with screens indicating specific arriving flights. Most likely Turkish Airlines will come through the Exit G door (towards the left), but in any case this is a relatively small and manageable area. For reference there is a Starbucks between the exit doors.

Then all of you can take the AirTrain to Terminal 1 (Delta): walk towards the A end of the hall (to the right when facing inward) and take the elevator up to the AirTrain (Level 4). Take the AirTrain blue line just 1 stop to Terminal 1.
Old Jul 14, 19, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by izmirbound View Post

-ib
Right outside of Customs in the International Terminal, arrivals level. There are two exits; Turkish Airlines comes into the G-side of International. That's to the left as you face the exits.
Old Jul 14, 19, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
You can meet them at International Terminal arrivals level (Level 2). There are 2 adjacent exit doors that arriving passengers come through after immigration/customs, with screens indicating specific arriving flights.
There's 4 exits - two on the front for arriving passengers (one from Intl A immigration, one from Intl G), and two on the back for connecting passengers (same A/G split). Historically they would likely have been directed to the "connecting passengers" door by customs (based on the address on their customs form), however since they have re-arranged customs it's likely that there's nobody there to actually point them that way.

Presuming their Delta flight is on a separate ticket, you'll be best to tell them to take the door for "Arriving passengers", which will be on the right as they come out of the baggage claim area (presuming they arrive into Intl G, which as far as I'm aware TK always does).

If their Delta flight is on the same ticket, and if TK manages to actually tag the bags all the way through then it'll actually be easier to get them to go through the 'Connecting Passengers' door, at which point you can meet them there, but this is a bit harder for you to find. You need to go across the check-in level, down the escalators, and then turn right (if you've coming from Intl G end), or left (from Intl A). You'll be in a long corridor which has two seats of big glass doors with "No entry" on them which is what you're after - specifically the one on the Intl G end of the terminal. The advantage of meeting there is that you can then walk a few meters to the Intl A baggage drop-off and re-check their bags.