Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Official SFO terminal map
Check the official SFO airlines listing to see which concourse your airline generally arrives/departs from.

Gate numbers at SFO now include both the concourse letter and the gate number, starting over at 1 for each concourse. Prior to Oct 16, 2019 gates were simply numbered 1-102 starting from 1 in the A concourse through 102 in the G concourse.

SFO has 2 main airside zones:

1. International Terminal A, Gates A1-A15 and Terminal 1 (Harvey Milk), Concourse B, Gates B1-B27

[Note that there is a short airside corridor between the A and B Concourses. You can enter security from A and go to B gates, and vice versa. The AirTrain station at Terminal 1-B is temporarily closed as of 9-22-21.]

Airside Lounges in International-A:
  • Cathay Pacific (near A1) - TEMPORARILY CLOSED AS OF 9/22/21
  • Japan Airlines Sakura (near A1)
  • Emirates (between A2-6) TEMPORARILY CLOSED AS OF 9/22/21
  • Air France/KLM (near A1) - also accessible to Priority Pass holders departing International Terminal A (access may be restricted at certain hours)
  • British Airways (between A5-9) (FT Thread) - includes a First Class section inside
  • China Airlines (near A1) (recent TR w/photo link)
  • Philippine Airlines Mabuhay Lounge (near A1) TEMPORARILY CLOSED AS OF 9/22/21
  • Virgin Atlantic Club House (near A1) - also accesible to AMEX Platinum/Centurion cardholders
Airside Lounges in Terminal 1-B (Harvey Milk):
  • American Airlines Admirals Club (near B13)
[CONSTRUCTION UPDATE: Both the airside and landside corridors between International-A and Terminal 1-B (Harvey Milk) are now open. It's about a five-minute walk between terminals.] Closure info from flysfo.com

2. Terminal 2, Concourses C and D, Terminal 3, Concourses E and F and International Terminal G, Gates C2-C11, D1-D18, E1-E13, F1-F22, and G1-G14
(as of November 1, 2019 gate C1 is planned for some point in the future)

[Note that there are short airside corridors between the C and D Concourses, the D and E Concourses, and the F and G Concourses. You can enter security from C, D, E, F, or G Concourses and go to gates in any of this group of Concourses.]

Airside Lounges:
Landside SkyTerrace open Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon 10a-6p: (FlySFO) (FT Thread)

Priority Pass eligible restaurants. [Note that PP card issued via American Express Platinum does not include "restaurant lounges"]: There is an outdoor viewing deck (post-security) in terminal G open daily 7a-11:30p: (FlySFO) (FT Thread)

It's possible to walk between gates in a single zone, but going from one zone to another requires clearing security. Several FTers have reported resistance from BP checkers and TSA agents when you try to enter a concourse that is not connected airside to your departure gate. They are mistaken; you can use a same day boarding pass departing SFO at any of the security checkpoints. Press the issue (politely), and you'll get in.

The landside connector between B and C is currently closed due to construction. To go between these two terminals you either need to go upstairs and take the AirTrain, or go down into the parking garage where you can walk freely (on well-marked pedestrian crosswalks) between terminals as well (pictures for walking in the garage can be found in post 512)

If you're arriving from an international destination, unless it's one of the pre-clearance airports, you'll have to clear Customs and Immigration at SFO and then need a departing boarding pass to clear security. SFO has the typical baggage re-check counters right after Customs for connecting passengers. They are usually open, but if closed, you'll need to lug your luggage to the regular domestic check-in counter of your connecting airline.

There's an AirTrain that runs between terminals (including the two parking garages connected to either side of the International Terminal) and the rental car center. AirTrain now has a stop at the long term parking lot. There is one on-airport hotel, a Grand Hyatt, accessible via the AirTrain. Personally, if forum regulars rob_flies_ua and dhuey need to connect between secure zones with only carry-ons, they just walk between terminals instead of waiting for the train. Returnoftheyeti and makfan will walk from BART to all terminals as well.

BART is the local regional commuter rail. The BART station is located on the north side of the airport, adjacent to International Terminal G. You can exit the paid area in two locations. One is by going up an escalator in the middle of the station and then connecting to the air train. You can also walk to the end of the station. Upon exiting you will be in the International terminal, near the chapel. A one-way ticket from SFO to downtown is $9.65.

For things to do on your layover in SFO, check out http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-f...d-threads.html
Outside of the secure zone, but adjacent to International Terminal G is the SFO Museum

Renovation of Boarding Area C will include a connector to T1-B and is expected to be completed by 2024, following which the entire airport will be connected airside (however going from A to G would require passing through B, C, D, E and F).

AirTrain Map:

As the map shows, Red Line runs clockwise; Blue Line runs counterclockwise. The mistake to avoid is getting on the Blue Line and heading off to the rental car center and long term parking lot when you were only trying to go from one terminal to another (e.g., don't take Blue when you want to go from International-G to Terminal 1). CAUTION: recently when arriving in the late evening, the red line has been closed, and only the blue line is operating but in the opposite direction from the arrows show. Keep an eye out for "sandwich board" signs on the platform, and pay attention to the overhead video screens by the boarding doors for accurate real-time directional info.
Print Wikipost

Connecting in SFO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dhuey
Thanks for the update, skyblue! Looks like IntVic could lounge-hop, if so inclined. Start with the noodle bar at the Cathay Pacific lounge, then head over to the new BA lounge. I assume that you will still be able to board directly from the lounge, as you could with the old lounge.
It is in the same physical space (I don't know if there's any not-yet-visible expansion). Note that the CX noodle bar offerings have been (historically) timed to the CX departures. The one time I visited prior to the earlier BA flight (a few years ago), no noodles for me!
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Oh no! I guess IntVic should not count on noodles.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:38 pm

Hi there,

In late July I will be going from SFO-OGG with HA (Flying in first if that makes a difference to my concern).

I'm a little concerned with getting held up at TSA as I'm not a US citizen and cant get access to CLEAR or equivalent.

I will be arriving 3 hours before my flight, is this enough time so I don't miss my flight ?

I'm thinking of using Blacklane PASS to get in front of the security line at SFO. Is this service effective at SFO for departures ?

Thanks,
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:33 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I had never heard of Black Lane service before

I had never heard of Black Lane service before so I can’t advise you if it would be a help. Looking at their services I’m not sure what they do to expedite customs and immigration. Perhaps others were here will have heard of it and can weigh in. It depends also on where you’re coming in from and what your nationalization is - for example if you’re arriving at one of the top times for a number of flights to arrive from Asia it might be dicey but otherwise Three hours should be enough to connect.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by squeakr
It depends also on where you’re coming in from and what your nationalization is -t.
Nationalization?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by Aidan
Hi there,

In late July I will be going from SFO-OGG with HA (Flying in first if that makes a difference to my concern).

I'm a little concerned with getting held up at TSA as I'm not a US citizen and cant get access to CLEAR or equivalent.

I will be arriving 3 hours before my flight, is this enough time so I don't miss my flight ?

I'm thinking of using Blacklane PASS to get in front of the security line at SFO. Is this service effective at SFO for departures ?

Thanks,
3 hours should be enough time as not many flights leave the A gates at that time. Because you are in First you will have access to the Priority lane which should speed up any line there might be at that time.

Im not sure how affective Blacklane is at getting you to the front of security, as I’ve never seen or heard of it being done.

dhuey likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:13 pm

Three hours prior should be plenty of time, Aidan. You are unlikely to spend more than 15 minutes going through security. Your incoming flight would have to be very badly delayed for you to miss your flight.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:57 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Nationality.
thanks for the grammar lesson. I don’t check my speech to text software as often as I should.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by squeakr
Nationality.
thanks for the grammar lesson. I don’t check my speech to text software as often as I should.
FWIW, I wasn't quite sure what you meant. I thought it was nationality, but I thought maybe you meant naturalization. I have no idea if that distinction makes any difference with the scrutiny TSA applies at security checkpoints.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:05 pm

Thanks for the all the responses, I ended up booking with Blacklane PASS just as an insurance. Just in case my ride arrives late due to traffic or something else, I can at-least have a second set of trained hands to walk me through as quickly as possible.
The reason why I'm taking all this precaution is that HA only have one flight out to Maui and I cant miss it, as its my best mates wedding the following day.

In hindsight I should have booked to goto Maui a day earlier as a redundancy.

Will let you know how Blacklane PASS goes, most likely overkill.

Cheers.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Thanks for the all the responses, I ended up booking with Blacklane PASS just as an insurance. Just in case my ride arrives late due to traffic or something else, I can at-least have a second set of trained hands to walk me through as quickly as possible.
The reason why I'm taking all this precaution is that HA only have one flight out to Maui and I cant miss it, as its my best mates wedding the following day.

In hindsight I should have booked to goto Maui a day earlier as a redundancy.

Will let you know how Blacklane PASS goes, most likely overkill.

Cheers.
I had to Google what Blacklane was and it turns out it is a Company out of Germany that provides car service and other things. IMO, it won't help you at SFO as there is no expedited service to get through SFO's version of TSA besides CLEAR and Precheck. The Maui flight leaves early in the morning ~10AM so security should not be a big issue as there are only a few departures at that time. Also, Citizenship has nothing to do with going through security.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by minhaoxue
I had to Google what Blacklane was and it turns out it is a Company out of Germany that provides car service and other things. IMO, it won't help you at SFO as there is no expedited service to get through SFO's version of TSA besides CLEAR and Precheck. The Maui flight leaves early in the morning ~10AM so security should not be a big issue as there are only a few departures at that time. Also, Citizenship has nothing to do with going through security.
Here is a quote form an article https://www.globaltravelerusa.com/blacklane-review/

Below quote was departing PHL airport.
"As a frequent traveler, some of the advantages of the PASS service are moot with my Global Entry and TSA PreCheck, but my companion was not a member of those programs, so the service did help expedite airport processes for him. The PASS service was truly valuable, in our experience, in two ways. Upon departure, there was no PreCheck lane and security had a bit of a line. With the PASS service, we bypassed the line completely and were through security quickly"
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:16 am

I'll be surprised if this Blacklane PASS service does anything more than walk you to the security entrance at International-A and tell you where to go. I've never heard of them.

Last edited by dhuey; Jul 11, 2019 at 12:43 pm
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
I'll be surprised if this Blacklane PASS service does anything more than walk you to the security entrance at International-A and tell you where to go. I've never heard of them.
Will see what happens. If you Google ‘sfo airport concierge service’ there is a few companies that do this service.

If it’s quicker or not will let you know
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:12 pm

Will see what happens. If you Google ‘sfo airport concierge service’ there is a few companies that do this service.

If it’s quicker or not will let you know
Please do. Maybe they have some ability to walk you to the front of the line, like CLEAR. I’m skeptical, but maybe you’ll surprise me. Regardless, you should be fine for your connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.