Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

1000 United miles for downloading toolbar

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by Andy Big Bear
Y'know, I am as much a points whore as the next guy, but I also do privacy and security consulting. I won't download this thing, I don't suggest you do either, FWIW. You really don't want to give up that information on your searching habits to parties unknown. At least with Google or Bing, we know who to choke.
What's the big deal. I downloaded the toolbar, did few searches and then uninstalled it the same day.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: UA Premier 1k, Marriott Platinum Elite, Star Alliance Gold, SPG Platinum, Yelp Elite
Originally Posted by onthego15
What's the big deal. I downloaded the toolbar, did few searches and then uninstalled it the same day.
Well the problem with these toolbar programs (and there is a lot of them) is that you can't really be sure when the program is removed that its completely removed. What usually happens is that the company that deploys it pays the company distributing it to get on the desktop. There's been spyware, adware, and malware distributed in these programs. Often the people who agree to help distribute this software have no idea what's in it and since a significant amount of software work has been outsourced to foreign shores, sometimes those programmers take a little extra money to insert backdoors in the software. Sometimes software like this simply has the purpose to redistribute other software, that is part of botnets and such.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: HH Diamond,,B6,DL,WN
United, American, US Airways and Delta are all discontinuing their shopping assistant toolbars as of today.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by likry2000
United, American, US Airways and Delta are all discontinuing their shopping assistant toolbars as of today.
I wonder if the toolbars use Java? If so, it could be related to the US Department of Homeland Security warning about Java?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 8:03 pm

I thought United was discontinuing their toolbar program because so many of us were swamping them with e-mail inquiries when our 1,000 bonus miles for downloading it weren't being posted on time.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
I thought United was discontinuing their toolbar program because so many of us were swamping them with e-mail inquiries when our 1,000 bonus miles for downloading it weren't being posted on time.
Yeh, they have a whole team "working" on it now [insert sarcasm here]. Here is the response I got:

We are very sorry for the delay in posting your 1,000 bonus miles to your account. There is a known issue with miles posting to your MileagePlus Shopping account and we have a team of representatives working towards a resolution. As soon as we have a resolution, we will follow up.
We appreciate your patience.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:34 am
Used to be Premier Monkey

Programs: AA EXP; Priority Club PLT; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by fungirl
Yeh, they have a whole team "working" on it now [insert sarcasm here]. Here is the response I got:

We are very sorry for the delay in posting your 1,000 bonus miles to your account. There is a known issue with miles posting to your MileagePlus Shopping account and we have a team of representatives working towards a resolution. As soon as we have a resolution, we will follow up.
We appreciate your patience.
I'm just glad that I have received some miles for monthly searches. At least that is some evidence that I had it installed correctly.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1k, Marriott Platinum Elite, Star Alliance Gold, SPG Platinum, Yelp Elite
Originally Posted by dioxide45
I wonder if the toolbars use Java? If so, it could be related to the US Department of Homeland Security warning about Java?
Most of the toolbars aren't written in Java, they are written to target the native .NET runtime engine. Java, despite some recent and significant breaches that have been found in the language, actually puts a sandbox around most running code. Anything you download and install manually has the potential to be much more damaging than anything a malicious java exploit could perform.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 5:11 pm

So I'll still get my 1000 points even if I uninstall the toolbar right now? I thought it has been the right amount of time that they told people via messages that it should come up in so many weeks. And I think they should start arriving end of January first part of February at the earliest or latest.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by Earthlings
So I'll still get my 1000 points even if I uninstall the toolbar right now? I thought it has been the right amount of time that they told people via messages that it should come up in so many weeks. And I think they should start arriving end of January first part of February at the earliest or latest.
As far as I remember, there was never any requirement to keep the toolbar installed. The terms and conditions merely said that we would have to wait many weeks before the miles would post.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:08 am

Programs: airberlin gold, club carlson gold, hhonors gold

1000 miles just posted dated to jan 4th
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AAPlatinum
good to see some of you getting the 1k posted - and getting more communication out of cartera than me. data points:

10/30 downloaded toolbar, completed search
11/20 emailed through milesplus shopping requesting credit
11/22 received email from Jesus about needing to wait 8-10wk from promo end 10/31
12/? miles from toolbar search finally post
1/7 email through milesplus shopping requesting credit (again)
1/9 received email from Jesus (same person?) stating 'A trouble ticket has been created for our technical department to review this issue. We will follow up with you shortly.'
1/15 replied to the 1/9 email from Jesus to check in since I have not yet received any follow up
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:37 pm

no miles yet
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:51 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I read this thread when it first came out and was pleasantly surprised to find that uploading the AA toolbar would result in the same 1000 mile bonus for uploading, plus 1 mile for every 3 searches. I have emailed 3 times to chase down my points, and nothing! No points for the searches (although it appears they are forthcoming), and no record of the 1000 miles for the upload. Did anyone else see the offer for AA or was I sniffing glue or something? Cartera says there was no AA offer.

Grrrrrrr! What a waste of time.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I read this thread when it first came out and was pleasantly surprised to find that uploading the AA toolbar would result in the same 1000 mile bonus for uploading, plus 1 mile for every 3 searches. I have emailed 3 times to chase down my points, and nothing! No points for the searches (although it appears they are forthcoming), and no record of the 1000 miles for the upload. Did anyone else see the offer for AA or was I sniffing glue or something? Cartera says there was no AA offer.

Grrrrrrr! What a waste of time.
I never heard about any AA offer. I only know about the 1000 UA offer and there also was a 500 US offer before that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.