Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Applying for a Russian Visa

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2012, 4:58 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver)
Originally Posted by bankops
but there is no visa check between Russia and Belarus so only a Russian visa would have been needed.
You're wrong. There being no passport control does not mean it's legal to go to Belarus without proper documentation. You can get away with it, of course, but if you get caught, they'll treat you as a criminal.

Same thing as with CTA or Schengen.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
I agree. Don't risk it. If you stay in a hotel you will have to show the Belarus visa for sure. My case listed in another forum was an outlying anomaly I am sure.

Originally Posted by homelyboy
You're wrong. There being no passport control does not mean it's legal to go to Belarus without proper documentation. You can get away with it, of course, but if you get caught, they'll treat you as a criminal.

Same thing as with CTA or Schengen.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I had not looked closely at the web for the Consulate General of the Russian Federation until today. If I am reading it correctly today, it would appear that they as suggesting - or insisting? - that I use firm called ILS to get a transit visa. Does this mean I cannot use Travisa?

See these links:

http://www.rusconhouston.mid.ru/eng_main.htm

http://www.ils-usa.com/general-information/

I am still reviewing the ILS web like trying to understand how long it takes to process an application.

Edited to say that a literal reading of this page - http://www.ils-usa.com/mailing/ - means ILS must have all the documents 10 days before departure which is impossible since I will be in Greece at that time. I guess I do need two passports but that will cost $250 or more.

Last edited by Xeno; Aug 2, 2012 at 11:32 am
Old Aug 9, 2012, 12:34 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Are you able to apply for a visa outside your home country if you're on an extended travel?
I'm asking because they won't let the companies process an invitation that far in advance (months).
I know the Russian consulates usually only process visas for residents but there are some in some countries that have been known to make exceptions.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 2:37 pm

I just got a call from Travisa telling me that the Russian Consulate in Houston denied a double entry transit visa for me and gave me only a single entry transit visa.

The explanation was that my Aeroflot flights into SVO from STR and on to MSQ (Aeroflot #2337, 1834) come and go through Terminal 5. In other words, I will not go through customs.

I asked if there would be a problem at STR and MSQ and Travisa said no. Does anyone see a problem here or does this sound okay.

Last edited by Xeno; Sep 17, 2012 at 3:45 pm Reason: add the word transit
Old Sep 17, 2012, 3:32 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by Xeno
I just got a call from Travisa telling me that the Russian Consulate in Houston denied a double entry visa for me and gave me only a single entry visa.

The explanation was that my Aeroflot flights into SVO from STR and on to MSQ (Aeroflot #2337, 1834) come and go through Terminal 5. In other words, I will not go through customs.

I asked if there would be a problem at STR and MSQ and Travisa said no. Does anyone see a problem here or does this sound okay.
Unless rules have changed very recently, there is definitely a problem.

In addition to TIMATIC, SU website confirms the same:
http://www.Aeroflot.ru/cms/en/before...er_fly/transit

[KVS Availability Tool 7.0.5/Diamond - TIMATIC: Visa/Entry Requirements]
Code:
National USA (US)               /Embarkation Germany (DE)
Transit Russian Fed. (RU)       /Destination Belarus (BY)
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

[Visa Information - Transit] Russian Fed. (RU)

[Information For Normal Passports]
TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Visa required, except for Holders of onward tickets for a max.
transit [[TIRULES/R32]] time of 24 hours. 
 - TWOV not applicable if transit is to/from Belarus. 
 - There are no transit facilities available at Krasnodar
   (KRR). Passengers are required to clear Immigration and
   Customs.
- If in transit to/from Belarus; or if the airport of arrival
  is different from the airport of departure within the same
  Russian city; or if transferring between Moscow Sheremetyevo
  (SVO) Terminals B/C and Terminals D/E/F, then a Russian
  (transit) visa is required. 

[Health Information] Russian Fed. (RU)

No vaccinations are required to enter Russian Fed. from any
country.

[Visa Information - Destination] Belarus (BY)

[Information For Normal Passports]
Passport required.
- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid
  on arrival.

Visa required.

Visa Issuance:
- Holders of passports issued by USA can obtain a visa on
  arrival at Minsk (MSQ) provided [[TIDFT/BY/VI/IS/ID48918]] 
Additional Information:
- All visitors are required to purchase health insurance on
  arrival in Minsk. Fee varies according to length of stay. 

[Health Information] Belarus (BY)

No vaccinations are required to enter Belarus from any
country.

CHECK [[TINEWS/N1]] - CANADA: VISA REQUIRED FOR FIVE
NATIONALITIES

17 Sep 2012 / 22:28 [UTC]
Old Sep 17, 2012, 3:41 pm

Thanks KVS. It looks like I need to make some frantic calls tomorrow when everybody is open on the east coast as I want to make certain about the requirements.

I should have said that I was looking for a transit entry visa not an ordinary entry visa.

Last edited by Xeno; Sep 17, 2012 at 3:58 pm
Old Sep 18, 2012, 6:33 am

I just got a call from Travisa telling me that the Russian Consulate in Houston denied a double entry transit visa for me and gave me only a single entry transit visa.
This is OK, I think. On your return trip you will reach SVO by a domestic flight from MSQ, so technically there won't be a second entry. You only need to check that your visa validity period covers both out and in journeys.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by homelyboy
This is OK, I think. On your return trip you will reach SVO by a domestic flight from MSQ, so technically there won't be a second entry. You only need to check that your visa validity period covers both out and in journeys.
I will not see my passport until late today, but if I understood Travisa correctly they said the Russian Consulate was not counting STR-SVO-MSQ as an entry because I do not go through customs at SVO. I have not been able to reach Aeroflot by phone but according to their web it seems to suggest that I would go through some kind of passport control at SVO.

The ruling of the Russian Consulate was that my single transit entry was for the Aeroflot flight from MSQ to SVO where I switch over to DL for SVO-USA.

Anyway, maybe things will be more clear after a few calls and then seeing the actual transit visa.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 7:13 am

I will not see my passport until late today, but if I understood Travisa correctly they said the Russian Consulate was not counting STR-SVO-MSQ as an entry because I do not go through customs at SVO.
It seems that there's been some misunderstanding. Flights between Russia and Belarus are classified as domestic. You will pass both customs and passport control in SVO in order to get access to the domestic departures concourse of SVO. There you will be issued a migration card which will be valid for all the term of your presence in the combined territory of the Union State of Belarus and Russia and your passport will be stamped.

Then on both SVO-MSQ and MSQ-SVO there will be no passport control. There may be some checks by the police or migratory services to make sure you have all the necessary documentation, but you won't be issued a new migration card and your passport won't be stamped.

It is somewhat similar to flying NYC-DUB-LON for a visa national to both Ireland and the UK.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 7:25 am

Applying for a Russian Visa

I am at med appt. perhaps I misunderstood Travisa. I will see actual visa later today.

Last edited by Xeno; Sep 18, 2012 at 9:48 am
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:06 am

I just took delivery of my passport 30 minutes ago. It shows the only transit "entry" as my departure day meaning MSQ-SVO on Aeroflot then SVO-USA on Delta.

I finally got through to Aeroflot and they confirmed that I will arrive at SVO Terminal D from STR and departure from SVO Terminal D for MSQ. However, the Aeroflot agent in NYC said that I must have a double entry transit visa or I will be deported.

I asked Travisa about each of these points and will see what they say when I call again.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:47 am

Ah, so the validity period of the visa doesn't include the outbound journey? Then surely you won't be allowed to board in Stuttgart in the first place.

The fact that both arrival and departure are both from SVO/D means nothing. SVO/D is a mixed terminal with separate areas designated for international and domestic flights. One needs to undergo a passport control to get to one from another. Belarusian flights are from the domestic part, therefore you need a valid visa. :-(
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:00 pm

Travisa just repeated what they told me yesterday. I tried to call the Russian Consulate in Houston and was forced to leave a message.

In the meantime, I noticed this paragraph on the US Department of State which can be interpreted more than one way at http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1006.html

Transit Visas: If you intend to transit through Russia by land en route to a third country, you must have a Russian transit visaissued by a Russian Embassy or Consulate. If you are transiting through one international airport in Russia, and will depart again in 24 hours to an onward international destination, without leaving the customs zone, Russian law does not require you to have a transit visa. However, this law is sometimes misinterpreted by travelers and customs officials alike, and we recommend you obtain a Russian transit visa if there is any doubt about your transit plans. Foreigners who arrive in Russia without a valid visa, who do not meet visa-free transit requirements, may be forced to return to the point of origin at their own expense.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:38 pm

I got through to a person at the Consulate General for the Russian Federation in Houston that knew my case. She complained that Travisa was slow to respond - something about it took 2 days - when the consulate was deliberating my case.

She went on to say that at this point it is too late to issue a different visa for me. She recommended that I contact SVO to see if they have any recommendations but she believes that there will not be a problem since passport control will not give me any grief because I am not going through customs (STR-SVO-MSQ) and arrive then depart from the same terminal. I sent them an email and I will call them if they do not respond.

I know the statement in my last post from the US Department of State says in theory I should be okay since I do not go through customs so I will print out that page in case I am given grief at SVO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.