Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Applying for a Russian Visa

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ajamieson
I have a single-entry business visa valid until the end of April. Can I use it instead for a tourist trip?

The visa was obtained on the possibility that I might need to travel urgently to Moscow for work. That possibility has diminished, and I'd quite like to visit St Petersburg. It seems a waste of a visa to apply anew, but I wonder if I will encounter issues upon arrival given that the 'invitation' for the visa listed a hotel in Moscow. Or maybe immigration officials don't care as long as you have a visa and intend to leave?
I have a one year ME visa and often use it for reasons not connected to my job. I don't MR anymore but I did at one time. I've also gone to cities entirely NOT where I work just to rest or visit friends. I highly doubt you'll have any problems at all.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 2:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Thank you, that chimes with what a work colleague told me.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, WN
Originally Posted by sidne
So this is not the same situation as tourist visa invitations where the names of hotels can be provided as part of the invitation letter but the traveler may not actually stay in those hotels.

Nevertheless, from additional information I have received from others in a similar situation it appears to me that it is extremely common to use a tourist visa for the type of visit we are planning. We are not actually signing contracts or buying or selling goods or services at this time. The tourist visas are SO much easier to get, I can understand why people are going this route. So I think we will get and use tourist visas at this time. If, in the future, we develop partnerships with Russian organizations we will, of course, apply for and use business visas.
A quick update in case the information is helpful. I ended up getting a tourist visa. Even with that I needed to supply the names of the hotels (though as far as I can tell no one checked to see if I had a reservation). I used Travisa as an expediter and they handled everything. I got the tourist invitation from them and then they handled the visa application.

One warning for others when filling out the visa application: I had been to Russia once during the last 10 years. I gave the information under the question about previous trips to Russia. There is a question that asks for all "other" countries visited during the last 10 years. I left Russia off that list (since I'd already given the information about my travel there). Travisa called me on the phone and had me fill out a new visa application and include Russia before they submitted it. This delayed the application one day. No idea if it was really necessary for a successful application, but no reason to omit it that I can see just in case.

I also stupidly gave the actual dates of my travel instead of giving myself the entire 30 day period, but that was my fault. I just wasn't thinking. So I ended up with only 15 days instead of having a little wiggle room.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:39 am

Has anyone had trouble with printed electronic PDF copies of invitation letters?

When I went to go submit my application today, they said the stamp looked printed on the document and that it wasn't acceptable and to ask for a physical, mailed copy from the travel agency.

Think I'd have better luck going through an agency?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:20 am

I apologize in advance for my ignorance, we are staying at 2 hotels on our trip to Russia.

Generally does 1 hotel issue the invitation/support document for the entire trip or do I need each hotel to issue an invitation for the dates I am at each property?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:35 pm

Programs: SQ Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire RA
I have a fun little VISA problem going to Moscow... so this is the (booked) plan:
Leave June 2nd NYC - CPH - SVO, I'm an EU citizen in the US on a G4 Visa, the G4 visa expires July 31st (will be renewed by my employer around 1st of July).
Russian Visa rules state that my Visa to stay in the US has to be valid for 6 months after I leave for Russia..... In theory that is not the case in my case....
I asked the Russian Visa service and their reply was that I did not provide enough information for them to help me....grrr
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA1K
I read through most of this thread, but couldn't find a clear answer.

I'm going to see a supplier and they suggested getting a tourist visa (I know...), so I got one along with an invitation/confirmation to a hotel in St Petersburg.

Now it turns out I'm going to have to go to another city in Russia. If I fly their directly there (KUF) from FRA, will I have any problems going through immigration?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:35 am

Question

Hi guys, BIG question,

We are Malasian holding EU visa which will expire on 13 Sept. So can we apply for Russia tourist visa from 11 June-17 June? I know there's a 90 rule for foreigners in EU, but that's counted from the date of departure, arrival or date of application?

Thanks.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Orion_1
I have a fun little VISA problem going to Moscow... so this is the (booked) plan:
Leave June 2nd NYC - CPH - SVO, I'm an EU citizen in the US on a G4 Visa, the G4 visa expires July 31st (will be renewed by my employer around 1st of July).
Russian Visa rules state that my Visa to stay in the US has to be valid for 6 months after I leave for Russia..... In theory that is not the case in my case....
I asked the Russian Visa service and their reply was that I did not provide enough information for them to help me....grrr
Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
Hi guys, BIG question,

We are Malasian holding EU visa which will expire on 13 Sept. So can we apply for Russia tourist visa from 11 June-17 June? I know there's a 90 rule for foreigners in EU, but that's counted from the date of departure, arrival or date of application?

Thanks.
For both of you I wish I could provide a concrete answer but, as with law everywhere and visa rules in Russia especially, the best answer is "it depends." If you go a visa window at a Russian consulate and nicely plead your case you have a so-so chance to get it issued. If you have a courier who has a relationship with the people at the visa window you have a better chance to get it issued. If you just chance it and send it in blindly I would say you have very little chance of them processing it.

The good news is that once you get the visa on this side they will honor it on that side without question. I've had a few of these squeek through for my kids we lived and worked in Russia full time. I explained my case and in 2 of 3 situations they said "ok" but, as with all things on FT, YMMV.

Wish I could be more concrete but it truly does depend.

Normally, the remaining time on a passport or visa, has been counted for me by the last day of validity for the visa. Some say the last day you're in the country but I've heard it explained that you might come back again if it's a double or ME visa so they don't count when you leave but rather when your visa runs out.

Good luck and report back what you learn and where you submitted. I'm always looking for friendly insiders in the Russian visa world.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Orion_1
Hi guys, BIG question,

Thanks.
For both of you I wish I could provide a concrete answer but, as with law everywhere and visa rules in Russia especially, the best answer is "it depends." If you go a visa window at a Russian consulate and nicely plead your case you have a so-so chance to get it issued. If you have a courier who has a relationship with the people at the visa window you have a better chance to get it issued. If you just chance it and send it in blindly I would say you have very little chance of them processing it.

The good news is that once you get the visa on this side they will honor it on that side without question. I've had a few of these squeek through for my kids we lived and worked in Russia full time. I explained my case and in 2 of 3 situations they said "ok" but, as with all things on FT, YMMV.

Wish I could be more concrete but it truly does depend.

Normally, the remaining time on a passport or visa, has been counted for me by the last day of validity for the visa. Some say they actually count it from the last day you're in the country but I've heard it explained that you might come back again if it's a double or ME visa so they don't count when you leave but rather when your visa runs out.

Good luck and report back what you learn and where you submitted. I'm always looking for friendly insiders in the Russian visa world.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
I'm on my 17th business day waiting on a ME visa the Embassy contacted VisaHQ on Monday that my picture wasn't acceptable. Hoping if all they have a problem with is the picture that I'll get it back soon...
Cheers
Howie
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:02 pm

Hi guys, BIG question,

Thanks.
Really? Hmm.....

Malaysians can enter the European Union (visa free) for up to 90 days / every 180 days, unlimited entries to any EU Schengen territory, including Switzerland and Norway, provided holding a regular Malaysian (red) passport, in good standing.

You are also allowed unlimited entires to the United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man etc for stay up to 6 months, no visa required [ tourist / business purposes only, no right to abode, no employment ] .This EU+UK privilege also granted to most industrialized countries, and places like Singapore. Other countries near to Malaysia, i.e Indonesia and Thailand have no such privileges.

Where ever you are from , you need to apply for a Russian visa in the country you reside, unless you hold a residence permit in a different country.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:09 pm
Suspended

any advice?

looking to go to SPB (and Russia) for my 1st time late June. Plans were to stay at the W for 5 nights then if meetings in HEL can be pushed off by 1 day a 6th day wont know till late May about that

The Visa support app from the W says " I understand and agree that the visa support document is for single-entry tourist visa, valid only for the period of my stay at the W SPB. I also understand that while in Russia,I can not extend the validity of my visa for extra days and that I bear full legal and financial responsibility, should I stay on the Russian territory after the expiry date of my visa."

Is it best to make another res for the 6th night at the W and CX after I get there if I wont be staying there in the end ? I will be applying at the Consulate in NYC in person since I live in NYC

As of yet I havent sent in the form for the Visa support, any advice is greatly appreciated. I was planning on asking for the 3yr visa since Im sure I wont get to see everything in this trip and that way if need be can go back, its only an extra $20. Can the W write it such that the visa will be only for a single use?

* Update emailed the W and they were willing to extend my support documents to include the extra day should I beable to move the meetings in HEL to 1 day later. But said if I wanted a 3 yr Visa I would need to go via a Travel Agency anyone know what they are talking about?

Last edited by craz; Apr 24, 2014 at 5:58 am
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: LH SEN, BAEC Bronze, S7 Приоритет, TrueBlue
Originally Posted by craz

* Update emailed the W and they were willing to extend my support documents to include the extra day should I beable to move the meetings in HEL to 1 day later. But said if I wanted a 3 yr Visa I would need to go via a Travel Agency anyone know what they are talking about?
Might make sense to consider buying a visa support invitation off the web for $30 that takes care of everything, e.g. at http://www.waytorussia.net/Travel/VisaSupport.html
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: AA/BA/DL/US Air
But said if I wanted a 3 yr Visa I would need to go via a Travel Agency anyone know what they are talking about?
"IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR VISA APPLICANTS

In accordance with the Agreement between the Russian Federation and the United States of America on the simplification of visa formalities for nationals of the Russian Federation and nationals of the United States of America effective September 9, 2012 the US citizens shall as a rule be issued multiple-entry business, private, humanitarian and tourist visas for a stay of no more than 6 months starting from the date of each entry that are valid for three years (36 months) from the date of issue of the visa."

http://www.ruscon.org/visa_dep_ENG.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.