Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Ritz Carlton
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
There is a complementary thread about the new R-C card on the Chase UR Forum here: Ritz-Carloton Visa Infinite
Print Wikipost

Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:21 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by dayone
There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Sorry, I still don't understand. Can you please explain the other ways to get the club-level upgrade on a suite booking?

(Incidentally, IMO published benefits should be available using the published procedures, and members should not be forced to resort to creative, other methods just to get published benefits. But since it seems that that may be necessary case here, can you please tell me what these other ways are?)
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
Sorry, I still don't understand. Can you please explain the other ways to get the club-level upgrade on a suite booking?

(Incidentally, IMO published benefits should be available using the published procedures, and members should not be forced to resort to creative, other methods just to get published benefits. But since it seems that that may be necessary case here, can you please tell me what these other ways are?)
Why do you keep this worthless card?

( I just received the last of my $200 comp for this year... Annual fee not bad, considering...)
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Why do you keep this worthless card?

( I just received the last of my $200 comp for this year... Annual fee not bad, considering...)
Since I can't get back the annual fee I paid (too many months passed), there is no reason not to keep it (even if it turns out to be worthless) at least until the end of the card year, which for me is January 2014.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
The club upgrade line just told me that the Ritz Washington D.C. does not allow club upgrades for suites, ever. Club upgrades for rooms may be available, subject to capacity controls, but club upgrades are banned if you book a suite because they will never allow the club-level suites to be upgraded into.
It has been my experience that none of the RC properties I have attempted to reserve would upgrade a suite to club level per the card benefit.
I have stayed at the Washington DC RC and reserved a club level suite at the regular rate. I was upgraded to the Presidential suite when I arrived so it helped take some of the sting out of it.
I have also been successful reserving a regular room with the club level upgrade and then upgrading to a club level suite once I arrived at the property. Unfortunately, it isn't something that can be counted on so you take that risk.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by No Clue
I have also been successful reserving a regular room with the club level upgrade and then upgrading to a club level suite once I arrived at the property. Unfortunately, it isn't something that can be counted on so you take that risk.
Thanks. Is this something you just ask for at check-in? Did it take more money, or was it just a comp?
Old Jun 14, 2013, 2:48 pm

Thanks. Is this something you just ask for at check-in? Did it take more money, or was it just a comp?
Basically, I asked to pay for the suite upgrade and keep the benefit for the free club level upgrade. I have been successful going this route a few times and once getting both for the regular room rate.

I haven't been demanding or anything and the front desk personnel always seem eager to help so it often works out.

I wish the RC would change the policy to get the club level upgrade for any available accomodation. That would make it a lot easier and valuable perk for those that prefer suites.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 3:20 pm

I wish the RC would change the policy to get the club level upgrade for any available accomodation. That would make it a lot easier and valuable perk for those that prefer suites.
I think the Philadelphia Ritz allows club upgrade for suites. I found this out only by doing a test/dummy booking for dates many months out, and got availabilty for a club-level suite using the upgrade cert. But I have not actually been able to use the benefit yet, as it was just a test booking. I usually don't know my travel plans that many months in advance.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 2:26 am

I think the Philadelphia Ritz allows club upgrade for suites. I found this out only by doing a test/dummy booking for dates many months out, and got availabilty for a club-level suite using the upgrade cert. But I have not actually been able to use the benefit yet, as it was just a test booking. I usually don't know my travel plans that many months in advance.
Were you able to do this online? I thought you had to call a special number for the club upgrades.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 7:53 am

Programs: AS 75k, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, National Exec
Thumbs down Bye-Bye Ritz

For ALL the reasons you're discussing I'm dropping my card on the anniversary date. The club upgrades can be difficult to get, and only by paying full rack rate no less. $100 spending credit for a two night stay may or may not be available. I kidded myself into thinking the airport Lounge Club would be a benefit, but with only 18 domestic US airports it's really lacking and does not meet my needs. To be blunt, the $395 annual fee is just a big load.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Pdxstocks
For ALL the reasons you're discussing I'm dropping my card on the anniversary date. The club upgrades can be difficult to get, and only by paying full rack rate no less. $100 spending credit for a two night stay may or may not be available. I kidded myself into thinking the airport Lounge Club would be a benefit, but with only 18 domestic US airports it's really lacking and does not meet my needs. To be blunt, the $395 annual fee is just a big load.
Well, if you put zero value on the $200 airline reimbursement or Ritz / Marriott Gold status, the you have probably made the right decision.

Try and use up your $200 before you cancel!
Old Jun 15, 2013, 9:34 am

Were you able to do this online? I thought you had to call a special number for the club upgrades.
It was a test booking by phone that I had to cancel later online. Kind of unfortunate to have wasted the rep's time, but Marriott created this situation by requiring human calls to request card benefits AND instructing the phone reps to try to collect ALL of your reservation information (name, rewards no., purpose of stay, any special occasions?) before doing the upgrade inventory search, so that when no upgrade is available they have all the info they need to try to upsell you a paid club room.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:06 pm

There have been quite a few complaints with this card, including ones from me, but I had a great experience last week with one of the benefits I didn't think was really that big of a perk.

I was traveling with my family and returning home from Vancouver, BC and connecting through Chicago when the big storm was moving through. The entire day was filled with flight cancellations, flight rebookings from first class to back row window seat in economy, flight diversions, and missed connections. We finally ended up at ORD about midnight and faced with the reality we would be spending the night. I called the Marriott platinum reservations line and was told there was a big convention in Chicago and all 81 properties within a 50 mile radius were filled.

I turned to my iphone apps and started looking for alternatives. After about 20 minutes of this and no luck, I remembered the concierge benefit with the RC card. I told them what I was looking for and they called me back in 15 minutes with a reservation at the Westin River North hotel. All I had to do was show up at the front desk and everything was taken care of. It turned out to be a great experience and fun next day in Chicago at a great location.

After the long day I had that began at 6am and all the issues, my mind was pretty much turned to mush at that point and it was great to have a friendly helpful voice on the other end that could actually get things done. Kudos to them.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 1:57 pm

Useless card.

Can't upgrade using corporates rates. So nearly all the benefits gone. Who wants to pay the rack rate which is nearly double the corporate rate for upgrade to club level.

Concierge customer service is useless. Called them once and they were condescending and arrogant.

For $395 you can stay at most ritz properties so the 70k points with $2000 spend is meaningless. And that's 395$ every year...you don't get 70k points very year!!!!

Ritz Carlton properties are too limited. I'm diamond Hyatt and platinum Starwood .

So all you get is the $200 airline voucher.

Cancelled the card today . Still have my Centurion though
Old Jun 15, 2013, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Lextheimpaler
Can't upgrade using corporates rates. So nearly all the benefits gone. Who wants to pay the rack rate which is nearly double the corporate rate for upgrade to club level.

Concierge customer service is useless. Called them once and they were condescending and arrogant.

For $395 you can stay at most ritz properties so the 70k points with $2000 spend is meaningless. And that's 395$ every year...you don't get 70k points very year!!!!

Ritz Carlton properties are too limited. I'm diamond Hyatt and platinum Starwood .

So all you get is the $200 airline voucher.

Cancelled the card today . Still have my Centurion though
Why did you get this card in the first place?

There are differing reports regarding the usefulness of the upgrade certs, so if that was your only reason to get the card, then cancelling probably not a bad idea.

Why would you use RC Concierge if you have Centurion?
Old Jun 15, 2013, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Why did you get this card in the first place?

There are differing reports regarding the usefulness of the upgrade certs, so if that was your only reason to get the card, then cancelling probably not a bad idea.

Why would you use RC Concierge if you have Centurion?
I thought I could use the upgrades with the corporate rates which kinda justifies the annual fee. Also I like collecting credit cards

The irony is that I have a Hong Kong issued centurion which will double it's annual fee to $5000 / year but now you have exclusive ritz Carlton benefits in Hong Kong ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.