Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Uber while abroad

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Funny thing is, the fare was about 7-8 AUD, for about a 3 km ride.

Back home in the US, the minimum Uber fare seems to be 8 USD and now they want tip on top of that.

And petrol is a lot more expensive here!
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I took Uber in Singapore in November. Worked fine, was like I was in the US in terms of ease of use. And it was cheaper than a taxi.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by wco81
secondly, I didn't see a way to tip the driver. Maybe they don't offer tips outside the US? Tipping is less common in Australia.
Please keep stupid American tipping culture out of civilized societies :P
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:50 pm
Suspended

In Queenstown, New Zealand. Actually, staying in Frankton.

I'm about a mile away from the airport and Uber will display 7.50 NZD fare but says no cars available. Yet it looks like it will let me tap the big black button which says "No Cars Available." Wonder if that would make the drivers reconsider.

Change the destination to Queenstown CBD, which is maybe 4-5 miles away and it offers UberX for about 27 NZD.

Hotel says there aren't that many drivers around.

I dropped off my rental car next to the terminal a couple of days before departure. From there, Uber X is available to my hotel for about the same 7-8 NZD fare. Not sure where they pick up there or whether there's a fee to enter the airport.

Hotel says if I took a bus, it would be $10 instead of the normal $5 it would take to go into QT because they think there's some kind of drop off charge. Again, we're talking just a mile away.

But they also have a "special flat rate" of 18.50 NZD with one of the local taxi companies. I guess the taxis are just hanging out at the terminal and would want a higher fare to drive a mile here to pick up and go back to the airport.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Had a fairly good experience with Uber in Russia this year. The location of the car wasn't updating well on the app, but the drivers seemed to have no issue finding my location. Charges came from a third party company, but no issues to speak of.
Old May 9, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
Does Uber or Lyft work in Oslo, Norway? I have never used it so it will be an adventure.

Doggy Daddy
Old Feb 19, 2020, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Anyone take Uber from LIS or in Portugal in general recently?
Old Feb 19, 2020, 6:48 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Did it a bunch last month in LIS. Tons of drivers, very easy and cheap.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 6:49 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
Had a fairly good experience with Uber in Russia this year. The location of the car wasn't updating well on the app, but the drivers seemed to have no issue finding my location. Charges came from a third party company, but no issues to speak of.
ANYTHING is better than Russian taxi drivers.
Never been ripped off or attempted to be ripped off more than by these guys.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 7:54 pm

Used uber in LIS all weekend long last month. Very cheap and convenient and quick pickups.

At the airport you need to go upstairs to the drop off parking lot area to find your driver.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 9:30 pm
Suspended

Thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:26 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Yup, as others mentioned. I also downloaded and used Bolt, which usually seemed to be cheaper and equally reliable in Portugal.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:14 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I used Uber a half dozen times in Porto last year. It was very reliable and affordable. Good cars, friendly and knowledgeable drivers. All five star rides.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CMK10
I used Uber a half dozen times in Porto last year. It was very reliable and affordable. Good cars, friendly and knowledgeable drivers. All five star rides.

Good to know it's available in Porto. Seems like a long ways from OPO to the center, at least via metro, so it might be worth it to save some time.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:58 pm

Rideshares have been a bit of a hassle in large airports after arrival of big flights. Unfortunately alternatives aren't much better

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.