Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Radisson Visa - discontinued April 2022

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2022, 2:33 pm

On the surface this looks really bad in terms of accumulating points. No more 40k each year and it seems like alot less on puchases than what was I believe 5x for everything. Not going to score near as many free nights, especially in addition to the point requirements changing last year for the worse on hotels i use. Gonna hafta find a new card, though im not sure if other hotel chain cards are also screwing their customers over now and lowering their rewards.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by StringerBell2020
On the surface this looks really bad in terms of accumulating points. No more 40k each year and it seems like alot less on puchases than what was I believe 5x for everything.
But also no more $75 AF. And 5X means nothing unless you say how much you value the points. To just pick one example, FM values Radisson points at 0.34 cents a piece, so your 5X earns you 5 x 0.34c = $0.017. You’d be better off using a 2% cash back card. and the No-AF GO Visa would get you 4% cash back on dining spend, so if you use it selectively, it could be quite useful if you have no better options.

Now, if you used to spend enough to earn fee nights for $10k spend, the math gets more complex (be sure to factor in opportunity cost), but I personally didn't consider this a card that was a good daily driver.
centrifuge41 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Now, if you used to spend enough to earn fee nights for $10k spend, the math gets more complex (be sure to factor in opportunity cost), but I personally didn't consider this a card that was a good daily driver.
This is all I ever took advantage of. I charged $30K annually, earned 3 nights and 150K points, and then sock drawered the card. As you pointed out, anything beyond that was only worth about 1.7%. Then there's the newer headache of dealing with the two Radisson programs, which is one hassle in life I do not need.

While I sympathize with those of you that truly valued the card, I am totally fine with it disappearing myself. I'll use my points over the next few years and be done with Radisson.

Depending upon when Radisson issues my three $10K nights, I'll actually have six to use, as I haven't used the three that were issued in the fall yet. I just need to figure out where to go domestically for a week's vacation.
36902BRF likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 10:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by sdsearch
And now the big wait to see if Radisson Hotels Americas will have another bank create a Radisson credit card, and if so when?

US Bank apparently has a habit of dumping "loyalty" program cards when "loyalty" programs change too much. I got a similar letter some months ago for a LATAM Airlines Visa from US bank, except in my case I got the letter more than a month after cancelling the card. so the card was not actually converted in that case.
I think the same thing happened to the aeromexico card
Old Apr 14, 2022, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Email from Radisson Americas today says:

Rest assured your Radisson Rewards Americas account will remain active and you will not lose any accumulated points as a result of this transition. You will also continue to enjoy your elite status through March 2023.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
When I got the email, I was so confused about the cutoff dates. From the letter, I thought everything was April 30th. Then I re-read the second to last paragraph.

April 30 is the cutoff for the spending counting towards the free nights.
April 30 is also the date when the AF ends.
May statement closing date is when you stop earning Radisson points. For me, they gave me dates spanning two weeks - late May and early June.

In the unlikely event that other people were confused like me , I hope this helps.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 9:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by Tennen
When I got the email, I was so confused about the cutoff dates. From the letter, I thought everything was April 30th. Then I re-read the second to last paragraph.

April 30 is the cutoff for the spending counting towards the free nights.
April 30 is also the date when the AF ends.
May statement closing date is when you stop earning Radisson points. For me, they gave me dates spanning two weeks - late May and early June.

In the unlikely event that other people were confused like me , I hope this helps.
A bit unclear if spending in May will accumulate points.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by slickvik
The original letter I received includes this sentence: "The points you earn through your May statement closing date will remain in your Radisson Rewards Americas account and will be available for redemption." My closing date is mid-May, so I assume spend during the first half of May will earn points. Not that I intend to put much spend on it, but I have a $40 credit balance right now and might as well use that for some non-bonused spend and at the same time extend the expiration date of my Rad account balance a bit.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:04 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by slickvik
As ​​​notquiteaff posted, I think May spending does, as long as it posts before your statement closing date. That's my interpretation of both the letter and the follow-up email.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 1:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
My AF posted 3 weeks ago .... so I assume
I get my 40k points
I get my Free Night (for spending $10k)
I get the AF prorated back when the switchover happens
notquiteaff likes this.
Old May 6, 2022, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
So the card no longer exists I suppose.

Or does it... I had gotten rid of my old card, but later on in a momentary lapse of judgment, I thought I had lost it. No problem, go on the app and request a new card.

Almost instantly I realize that I will not get the card before it stops earning Radisson points. And this proved to be the case, as I received it this week. I just went online to activate it so I now have an Radisson Rewards Visa, minus the Radisson Rewards Looking at the letter, it was officially issued on April 29th. I would have earned 10 points per $1 spent at Radisson properties, and 5 points per $1 everywhere else. I wonder how many Radisson cards were issued after this one.

I wish I hadn't lost my Club Carlson card. That could have become a collector's item one day!

-J.
Old May 12, 2022, 2:09 am

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
Something oddly good happened (which is usually since this split started). 2 days after my Apr/May statement closed last week, I got an email welcoming me to Gold Status. I was one of those that was originally split into the non-Americas group even though I live in the US as all my stays were overseas. I didn't get around to status matching so was surprised it happened without any contact on my part considering the many problems others had.

Not sure if spending on the card did it but I haven't done anything in the past 5 months besides transfer 500 points to my Americas account to see if it worked and then put spend on the card in late Apr.

Not really helping clear up what will count or not, but my datapoints: My AF was back in Sep, no AF prorate in this statement (not that I'm expecting any). My spend was in Apr, listed as 5x for non-Radisson spend but statement closed May 3rd.
Old May 13, 2022, 8:46 am

My statement closed on May 2nd, and I hit $30K in spending in April, so it will be interesting to see when my three free nights post. I'm actually hoping that it takes some time, as I still have two of my three nights from the last cycle.
Old May 15, 2022, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen
My AF posted 3 weeks ago .... so I assume
I get my 40k points
I get my Free Night (for spending $10k)
I get the AF prorated back when the switchover happens
That is what I’m hoping for as well but as my fee posted in early May I’m not so sure about the 40k anniversary points. I guess I’ll know in a few weeks.
Old May 19, 2022, 2:21 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
My annual fee posted on May 1, I asked about the card tht is being discontinued, and why is there a fee? they said they would do a pro-rated refund, but i have to pay the annual fee or there will be a late fee.

now i have paid the fee, wonder if i will get the 40k points

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.