Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Bank/Club Carlson Free night

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by mysticv6
I received a call back this afternoon. I was told that these certificates were issued to people that had called to complain but also kept the card and didn't cancel it. From all the data points I've read this doesn't really seem to be true but I didn't argue with him because he told me he would go ahead and issue a certificate for me.

I should get the certificate in my next billing cycle but it could be two or three billing cycles. He thought mine might come faster since I already paid my annual fee (in early May I believe). I got the impression they were really trying to target people that kept the card after the changes.

I did call to complain when the changes were first announced but that didn't seem to trigger the certificate automatically for me. And I only received the 2500 points then, not the 7500 I've read about from others.

I tried calling back after they told me that they would contact me after 48 hrs. The relations manager told me that it was escalated to a manager above them due to the fact that I filed a CC complaint with the government I believe. They then told me it would possibly be another 48 hrs.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:41 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher
I can't understand how so many here have spoken in absolutes as if they have issued every last certificate and that another batch won't be issued after. I understand the panic, but it seems premature to me.
Not that company social media teams necessarily have the most accurate information, but in response to this inquiry that someone made on Twitter yesterday:

"@clubcarlson Have letters already been sent out to everyone targeted for the free night ecert, or will they be sent in several batches?"

The ClubCarlson Twitter team responded with:

"Hi, yes at this time these emails have all been sent out to the targeted group for this promotion. Thanks. - Tim"
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:37 pm

I called and since I filed a BBB complaint they told me that there was nothing they can do but for me to wait for a different department to resolve the issue. Club Carlson is really pissing me off. I am really thinking about canceling the CC just out of spite.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by xcalibir
I called and since I filed a BBB complaint they told me that there was nothing they can do but for me to wait for a different department to resolve the issue. Club Carlson is really pissing me off. I am really thinking about canceling the CC just out of spite.

What did you complain about in your BBB filing?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I'm pretty sure that the people who frequent FlyerTalk represent a very small % of their overall customer base. Most existing cardholders probably don't even know that some people received these offers.

If I had to guess, US Bank got some information about people who spend a lot on non-US Bank credit cards and want to bring them into the fold. But who knows, it's pointless to speculate. There are tons of targeted offers across every bank. I just consider it a bonus and not an entitlement.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
I tried calling back after they told me that they would contact me after 48 hrs. The relations manager told me that it was escalated to a manager above them due to the fact that I filed a CC complaint with the government I believe. They then told me it would possibly be another 48 hrs.
You filed a government and BBB complaint over a free night promotion?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA,BA
Originally Posted by Miami305
You filed a government and BBB complaint over a free night promotion?
Some people.....
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Bupkiss here. I'll be calling to downgrade to the no fee card tomorrow.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Perhaps they are only sending the certs to people who were cardmembers at the time of the devaluation, i.e. the revocation of the second night free benefit.

1. Were any of you who didn't get the cert cardmembers at the time they discontinued the second night free benefit?

2. I got the cert, and I did call to complain a few months back. Did anyone get a cert who didn't call to complain?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Perhaps they are only sending the certs to people who were cardmembers at the time of the devaluation, i.e. the revocation of the second night free benefit.

1. Were any of you who didn't get the cert cardmembers at the time they discontinued the second night free benefit?

2. I got the cert, and I did call to complain a few months back. Did anyone get a cert who didn't call to complain?
1. I have been a card member for several years.
2. I complained about the 2nd free night deval in May (?) and received 2500 points.

I have had a few paid nights this year, very few 2nd free night claims over the years, and I have use the VISA regularly (though less since the deval).

No free night for me.

The card will go in January when the AF comes due. Nothing personal, it's just business.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:50 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb

1. I have been a cardmember for about a year and a half

2. I did not CALL to complain about the end of the Bonus Award Night, but I did send a complaint via message from the USBank website, and was awarded 2,500 bonus points in response

No free night e-cert for me
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
1. I have been a card member for several years.
2. I complained about the 2nd free night deval in May (?) and received 2500 points.

I have had a few paid nights this year, very few 2nd free night claims over the years, and I have use the VISA regularly (though less since the deval).

No free night for me.

The card will go in January when the AF comes due. Nothing personal, it's just business.
Well, we're in similar situations, except I haven't used the card at all in 4-8 months. Maybe they are sending them to people who complained and stopped using the card? I don't know.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, we're in similar situations, except I haven't used the card at all in 4-8 months. Maybe they are sending them to people who complained and stopped using the card? I don't know.

Rewarding "bad" behavior?

I don't see why a free night would encourage someone who doesn't spend (much money) on the card today to change that. Are you going to throw lots of spend on your card now?

On the flip side, they might drive away people who didn't get selected. Ask Hyatt how much "love" they got from me after handing out 50,000 UA miles to some "random" Diamonds (hint: it was my last year as Diamond, for this and other reasons).
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by dw
Not that company social media teams necessarily have the most accurate information, but in response to this inquiry that someone made on Twitter yesterday:

"@clubcarlson Have letters already been sent out to everyone targeted for the free night ecert, or will they be sent in several batches?"

The ClubCarlson Twitter team responded with:

"Hi, yes at this time these emails have all been sent out to the targeted group for this promotion. Thanks. - Tim"
I wouldn't put much stock into the social media team at all. Especially theirs. They have been wrong numerous times. That's not to say definitively that they are wrong here, but I'm just not sure if I'd buy it yet.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, AA, WN, UA, US, WN, BA.
I was looking to use my E-Cert for August 2016 at the Radisson Lima Miraflores. Regular Guest Rooms are available when searching without the promo code. However, once entering the "USBANKEC" promo code then magically only superior guest rooms are available using the E-Cert.

Called up Club Carlson and spoke to a supervisor who is going to research the issue with their team and the property and get back to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.