Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Radisson Visa - discontinued April 2022

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2022, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And now the big wait to see if Radisson Hotels Americas will have another bank create a Radisson credit card, and if so when?

US Bank apparently has a habit of dumping "loyalty" program cards when "loyalty" programs change too much. I got a similar letter some months ago for a LATAM Airlines Visa from US bank, except in my case I got the letter more than a month after cancelling the card. so the card was not actually converted in that case.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 10:50 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Just got the letter. The Altitude Go card seems pretty lackluster; it's basically a 1% card with mediocre bonus categories - you can do better elsewhere. The one improvement over the Radisson card is the no foreign transaction fees (which never made sense for a hotel card, IMHO). I did perk up a bit at the $15 streaming credit, but then I read the fine print. You have to charge it to the card every month for a year. It doesn't seem to work for annual subscriptions, so the credit is pretty useless when factoring in the annual discounts. FWIW, the eligible streaming services are:
  • Amazon Music Unlimited
  • Amazon Prime Video
  • Apple Music
  • Apple TV+
  • DirecTV Stream
  • Discovery+
  • Disney+
  • ESPN+
  • Fubo TV
  • Google Music
  • HBO Max
  • Hulu
  • iHeart
  • Luminary
  • MLB TV
  • NBA League Pass
  • Netflix
  • NHL Live
  • Pandora
  • Paramount+
  • Peacock
  • Showtime
  • SiriusXM
  • Slacker Radio
  • Sling TV
  • Spotify
  • Starz
  • Stitcher
  • Tidal
  • Vudu
  • YouTube Music
  • YouTube TV
  • YouTube Premium
It really sucks that we lose out on the annual 40k points and the Radisson Gold status. I did get some nice upgrades over the years... Now, I have to think about what to do with the hundreds of thousands of points...
GW McLintock and 36902BRF like this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 6:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I just read about the changes and this is going to be a huge cluster F! I have over 1 million points and most of my stays are in Europe. Since the program changed, I of course have the majority of my points in the US program since I’m US based but get new points in the EUROPEAN program. Is the activity in the EUROPEAN program going to keep my points in the US program active? What a huge mess!
Old Apr 3, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by christianj
I just read about the changes and this is going to be a huge cluster F! I have over 1 million points and most of my stays are in Europe. Since the program changed, I of course have the majority of my points in the US program since I’m US based but get new points in the EUROPEAN program. Is the activity in the EUROPEAN program going to keep my points in the US program active? What a huge mess!
You could transfer 1 point into the Radisson Rewards Americas account every 18 months from your Radisson Rewards account (there is no EUROPEAN program, just Americas and rest of the world), or move all your Americas points into your Rest of World account now. Transfer takes about 30 seconds online. This is not an issue at all.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 4:27 pm

Adam1222 You sure a transfer between the two programs will be enough to be considered activity in the 18 month timeframe?
Old Apr 3, 2022, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by christianj
Adam1222 You sure a transfer between the two programs will be enough to be considered activity in the 18 month timeframe?
I am not "sure" but you can contact them. The T&C say "points activity" and do not define the term. But I dont understand why this is an issue. If you are staying In Radissons in Europe frequently, just move all your points to the non-Americas account.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Tennen
I did perk up a bit at the $15 streaming credit, but then I read the fine print. You have to charge it to the card every month for a year. It doesn't seem to work for annual subscriptions, so the credit is pretty useless when factoring in the annual discounts.
The only services I am pretty much guaranteed to have for a year are Netflix and Prime. The latter isn’t an option and Netflix I usually pay for with gift cards at a greater discount than those $15 (for a year). Thank you for clarifying how it works; I was thinking I might keep the Go card for a month or so, but now I am leaning towards just cancelling it. The earnings really aren’t worthwhile at 1c per point. 4% Dining would be good for people who are into pure cash back cards with NAF, but I would rather earn 3X UR on my CSR.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by centrifuge41
Remember to generate activity in your Radisson Rewards account every 18 months to keep the accounts alive. No more auto-activity via anniversary 40k points.
Per their T&C it is 24 months.

Expiration of Points and Termination of Membership:

i. Expiration of Points: If there is no Points activity in your Radisson Rewards Americas account for any 24-month period, we may, at any time and in our sole discretion and without notice or liability to you, void and cancel any or all of your Points.

My goal in life now is to burn down the 500k points that I have accumulated within the next year.
gm9928 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
It says the annual renew bonus provided with payment of annual fee will be discontinued as of April 30, 2022. Does that mean any fee paid before that will get the bonus?

I have a card that I just paid the fee on March 4th, and another that has fee due on 4/18

Also wondering if canceling now gets you prorated AF back (I have another 3 that won't come for renewal later this year and have no interest in this US Bank card)

Called US Bank - rep had no clue about any of this
Old Apr 4, 2022, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by filelover
It says the annual renew bonus provided with payment of annual fee will be discontinued as of April 30, 2022. Does that mean any fee paid before that will get the bonus?

I have a card that I just paid the fee on March 4th, and another that has fee due on 4/18

Also wondering if canceling now gets you prorated AF back (I have another 3 that won't come for renewal later this year and have no interest in this US Bank card)

Called US Bank - rep had no clue about any of this
Wait...you have at least 5 of these cards open simultaneously?

looks like someone valued the 40k annual points a lot more than i did. lol
notquiteaff and 36902BRF like this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 6:34 am

I'm still waiting on my 40k from a renewal that posted back in February. Based on comments in the main thread on this credit card it should take around 60 days to post so everyone should keep that in mind.

As for USBank discontinuing the card, it seems like their entire focus on their website is now on their own cards. I can't remember but they seemed to have several cobranded cards like the Radisson, LATAM, Alaska Airlines, etc., etc. that are no longer offered so not really surprised by the RR not being renewed if they are moving away from cobranded cards. Here's hoping RR knew this was in the works and has been looking for alternatives to USBank which will be announced shortly.
EqualOpp likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Less of a Radisson question and more of a credit card question... should I cancel my card now, or wait for them to transition it before canceling? Or should I just put it in a drawer and forget about it? I'm lucky that in the past anytime I had a product change I've generally found use out of it, so this is a first for me.

-J.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by filelover

My AF posted 1/19, the bonus posted 3/22. I think that’s the same as last year.

I don’t know that anyone knows how to interpret the 4/30 cutoff date for anniversary bonuses.

- any card that had AF posted by 4/30 qualifies for the bonus (just like chargers posted by that date qualify for ecerts and presumably regular Radisson points)

- we post anniversary points 60 days after the AF, and if your bonus hasn’t posted by 4/30, you are out of luck.

Do the T&C say anything about the 60 day delay? If not, one could argue that paying the AF is the qualification and trigger for getting the bonus, and they are on the hook for delivering it.

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Less of a Radisson question and more of a credit card question... should I cancel my card now, or wait for them to transition it before canceling? Or should I just put it in a drawer and forget about it? I'm lucky that in the past anytime I had a product change I've generally found use out of it, so this is a first for me.

-J.
do they issue partial AF refunds now for cancelling? If yes, I’d cancel now and be done with it if you aren’t waiting for a bonus. Otherwise, wait until the transition gets you the partial refund.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by GW McLintock

-J.
This is JMHO, but I'm keeping mine, even though it'll probably end up as a sock drawer card. The main reason for me is the credit score/availability/history. I have a handful of sock drawer cards and use them once or twice a year to keep them active. Even if you decide to cancel, I'd wait until they credit you for the partial AF.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 2:10 pm

For those concerned about the 24 month activity rule for points expiration, surely as frequent travelers, you can stay at a Radisson through cash or points at least once in two years. I understand that many of you save the points for overseas trips, but there has to be one domestic Radisson you will stay at within two years.
notquiteaff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.