Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Youtuber banned from QR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2023, 3:59 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Originally Posted by flybymonkey
I am surprised that once Josh Cahill or any blogger/influencer makes a booking on any airline for that matter it doesnt raise an escalation management case so they can plan for the flight and make sure everything goes smoothly with no hiccup.
note to self...become a blogger so that BA will know when I am travelling and treat me accordingly.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It is not a ban on filming, it is a requirement to get consent from other passengers and crew before having them in the shot. I believe a fair amount of airlines actually have rules a long those lines, and I believe the US airlines have an actual ban on filming crews. Though in practical terms this seems to be rules that are rarely strictly applied.
Make perfect sense, why on earth should one be in a video that will be publicly available?

I think QR is just a tip of an iceberg regarding human/labour rights situation in Qatar.

I think the video is a bit much in terms of criticism:

The crew's back was facing him when he entered the aircraft: I have seen that many times and what's the problem? You buy a ticket to transport you from A to B, if they greet me I greet them back.

Lack of meal choices: It happens A LOT especially when the flight is full - I have even experienced on a NH flight too - sitting in the front cabin of a 787 and a crew came and ask if it is ok we have one of each but we didn't like the other one.

The loo was bad but I have seen that a lot in some particular routes. This doesn't only happen inflight, my kids' previous school (an international school in Scandinavia) has serious issues in the boys' toilet, there was p everywhere even on the ceiling. Their sister local school sharing the same building and their boys' toilet was clean. Notice had been sent out in years and nothing worked. The crew probably knows that as soon as they cleaned it up it will get messed up again.

The worst was the staff being fired because of that. I would feel terrible for them but this YouTuber doesn't really talk much about that.

I like simple aviation. No dramatic and factual. I watch these video when I'm deciding if I should fly this airline/ in this class.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
For arguments sake, we can use the connotation of a bribe since the YouTuber in question used that term, and is pretty much what everyone wants to say here. The denotation of a bribe is different.

The social media outcomes from this is a non event for QR. The YouTuber may think he has more influence to change the outcomes, but the reality is, his influence is nil on people's airlines choice.

Has one FT canceled their QR flights because of this?? Please speak up.......
Quite the contrary.

In fact, I may now more actively seek flights with QR, knowing that a certain YouTuber won't be on any of them!
HaleiwaFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 5:18 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
OMAAT has already got 216 opnions on his comments ....
now joining in with
LL
https://loyaltylobby.com/2023/12/19/...l-crewmembers/
when is the Hobby's thoughtleader VFTW stepping in the arena ?
Old Dec 19, 2023, 5:34 am

What is the digital version of today's news will be next week's fish and chip paper?
Leeward90 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 12:32 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
I'm not sure how other countries regard airplanes but I do not think of them as "private" spaces as I don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy (even in a q suite ). If someone is filming and not being obnoxious about it (loud/camera in my face/no extra lights)- I'm pretty okay with it. I do believe there is value in people filming their airline experiences and while I don't assume I will have the same exact experience and take most things with a grain of salt, it does help me make choices (where to sit, what flight time might be better, if the F&B might be good etc). I've definitely become tired of the clickbait titles and nitpicky nonsense, but there is some small value to me with these video reviews so I can't side with people calling to ban filming on planes (I also think the whole "security" guise is so tired, overplayed, and overused a la TAAG/US carriers). Josh definitely gets dramatic with his titles and comments but I will avoid the QR A330 insofar as possible. I've enjoyed QR and even recommended it to friends and was completely embarrassed when their flight was cancelled last minute and the only reasonable option to get them home was an A330-they were very unimpressed.

QR have not handled this well at all IMO and while they have the right to refuse service, this just seems like a way to cover up where they can fall short which is just part of the truth. Plainly, I'm not a fan of this type of censorship and collective punishment of the crew. I'm happy to praise them when they deserve it (I've written more than one email via customer feedback to compliment my crews) but they should also be able to accept criticism instead of trying to silence it through intimidation, bans, and bribes. The best way to tamp down the criticism would be to not pull these kinds of stunts and just deliver the product you claim to provide. There's no shortage of over-the-top "QR is the best" reviews on YouTube so it's plain that their concern is not privacy, security etc.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 1:09 pm

Goodness, although I still stand by saying Qatar was unfair and wrongI looked at this guys insta stories, what a pr*ck. Instead of being genuinely concerned about the sacked crew and taking matters more seriously, hes thriving on the attention putting smiley emojis and saying stuff like life is complete when making the headlines of news sources of different places.

again, no excuse for what QR did but I totally see why some people think hes so annoying..
Old Dec 19, 2023, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by minhaoxue
There is a video of his where he states “ I was deported from the US because they (The US) did not like me criticizing the American Airlines. I can see why QR do not want him on their air carrier since his words are “gold” to his followers.
. nothing to see here

Last edited by Plane_lover; Dec 19, 2023 at 4:14 pm
Old Dec 19, 2023, 5:10 pm

Quite honestly, there are quite a few reasons not to fly Qatar, but a shitstorm created by a vlogger? Sure, QR have handled this unprofessionally, but how many people will base a ticket purchase on a beef a vlogger has with an airline? I really do not get why airlines are not banning this crap altogether. I doubt that those who are shelling out serious dough for their tickets do so after being glued to their iPad for ages watching vloggers. My take is that the typical viewer of those videos is someone who wants to travel up front for as little money as possible with any airline, so it will be neither a terribly lucrative customer nor a loyal one for any airline. Add to that that those vloggers are almost all drama queens to get attention, that they annoy other passengers and take no prisoners when it comes to the privacy of staff, to me the questions really is why airlines are not putting a stop to this?
Old Dec 20, 2023, 6:24 am

Programs: QR Gold, Skyteam Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Cahill ruined young careers knowingly for his money

He is simply evil. Imagine: you board an aircraft, look at the crew and ask whether you may include them on film. They smile at you and reply: no problem...because they trust you. And then he films them and comments that they were totally uninterested and did not want to be there. And given his intimate knowkledge of QR HE KNEW THEY WOULD BE FIRED. And knowing this he published the video for money. And now he plays crying wolf..not for the girls but for himself with the # unbancahill. Simpy evil.
SKT-DK, minhaoxue and 9W73H like this.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by homer3152
He is simply evil. Imagine: you board an aircraft, look at the crew and ask whether you may include them on film. They smile at you and reply: no problem...because they trust you. And then he films them and comments that they were totally uninterested and did not want to be there. And given his intimate knowkledge of QR HE KNEW THEY WOULD BE FIRED. And knowing this he published the video for money. And now he plays crying wolf..not for the girls but for himself with the # unbancahill. Simpy evil.
Cahill knows better and he shouldn't drag other people down with him. I hope he is in the process of helping them to find a job at EK.

It didn't matter what the crew said any Vlogger can twist the story and then write to QR to get them fired.

If they said no to Cahill, he might use other excuse to blame them or something (a Vlogger was really upset when a North American airline told him that he had to stop filming). With what I read from people used to work for QR a formal complaint can get a crew fired.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 2:08 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I can no longer bring myself to watch any of his videos, including this QR one (have not seen it) - but what I loathe is that this impressions/likes system for vloggers often rewards controversy & drama. Josh is probably losing some followers, but watching the analytics and laughing all the way to the bank - which encourages him to do this more. Heck, we are still talking about it here...
minhaoxue and diburning like this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Clestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Josh is just one extreme example of the awful self-sustaining system of social media that enables anyone to get their unnuanced headline out there as representative of a wider experience and somehow fighting for the people. Their rendition of events is solely designed to monetise the system, its probably not even what they truly believe, if they are capable anymore of having any independent and balanced thought outside of what will generate the highest return. The issue is, the consumer sees it as a factual account, perhaps even an expos, when theyre usually works of heavy bias where the narrative was set before they even stepped on board the aircraft.
seanp7, m.y and diburning like this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 4:06 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by homer3152
This! I wish all these self-proclaimed influencers (I.e. wannabes) could just go get a real job instead of making sh*t like this
minhaoxue likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
This! I wish all these self-proclaimed ‘influencers’ (I.e. wannabe’s) could just go get a real job instead of making sh*t like this…
Not really a wannabe - he already is a successful performer on Youtube. Well over half a million subscribe to his channel, and Lord knows how many hundreds of thousands of others are casual viewers of his output.

Clearly he's​​​​​​ not universally popular, but neither is Michael Bubl: both of them irritate me, but i acknowledge that both enjoy popularity as entertainers, both have large fan-bases.

I admit to quite enjoying `cahill as a thorn in the side of a large corporation, though I'm appalled at the idea of any collateral damage among cabin crew.
IntrepidAfrican2 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.