Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Youtuber banned from QR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2023, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
Flying on QR is not a right, and one has the right to leave up a negative review/YouTube video. But that means QR has the right to ban you and consider you a customer that they do not want anymore. Not really that scary, threatening, or terrifying, as this is a real world we live in. We are literally talking about a consumer choice and a product that you can purchase, when we lose that choice, and that is considered threat in our society now?

The entire world does not evolve around US centric consumer niceties/norms, and you have to be sensitive to different cultures and how they do business. You give a company bad publicity, especially a Middle Eastern Airline, and still want them to offer you services when you turn down their customer service gesture?

FTers will continue to fly QR, and us non social media influencers will continue to complain or rave about QR without any fear of being banned. And most of the world doesn't really care about the YouTubers, and will continue to fly QR in economy.

Going back to your example, so what if the hotel gave you an ultimatum to take your review down or they won't service you in the future?
What does US centric consumer niceities have to do with this situation? Josh is not American. Hes not even allowed in the US. Clearly this is a customer service problem that many take issue with from different parts of the world. QR is free to do whatever they want but it doesnt change the fact that their business practices are leading to poor experiences of their customers as well as their employees.
DuyT likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 7:48 am

I am surprised that once Josh Cahill or any blogger/influencer makes a booking on any airline for that matter it doesnt raise an escalation management case so they can plan for the flight and make sure everything goes smoothly with no hiccup.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 8:27 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Hilton Diamond, Sixt Diamond, Hertz Platinum, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
Yep, you just confirmed how naive people are, and have no concept of how the real world works. Many companies offer incentives/free products to take down bad reviews (ie. What can we offer to make that 1-4 star review a 5 star review), and just read Google review threads of companies. Lots of offers/financial incentives to make the consumer feel whole, so they take down bad reviews.

Sorry to break it to you, but this is how the world works, and bribing/monetary incentives is what makes the world go round.
Wait: so now you confirm that it is indeed a bribe; a practice that is considered shady at best. Nowhere did I say these things aren't done all over the place (Google reviews, Tripadvisor, Yelp, etc); that doesn't make it right and that doesn't mean we can't frown upon it when a company does it so clumsily like QR has. Just because pick-pocketing is rife, doesn't mean we shouldn't frown upon it when we see someone reported on it.

See all the reports over the years where artists, companies and institutions pad their reviews, pay companies to add fictious subscriptions, or downright pay to increase their ratings. No one is disputing it happens all the time in business: we're calling QR out for doing it and also firing their employees for what could have been a simple operational improvement point. And media is full of articles where it is shown the media damage from it being made public is far worse than any benefits that these companies thought they could get from it.
IntrepidAfrican2 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 9:39 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Originally Posted by ziek
so he shows a clip of an email he got telling him his booking was cancelled, but he shows up to the check in counter anyway and records it?
My understanding is that the cancelled ticket was independent of his ex-AUH ticket. Since he forgot to remove the PNR from the screenshot you could just check and see for yourself.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 10:31 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Cbiff
What does US centric consumer niceities have to do with this situation? Josh is not American. Hes not even allowed in the US. Clearly this is a customer service problem that many take issue with from different parts of the world. QR is free to do whatever they want but it doesnt change the fact that their business practices are leading to poor experiences of their customers as well as their employees.
It is called situational awareness that needs to change based on the culture/business that you are dealing with. Again, most of us are use to the customer service and consumer culture of the US norms that spread internationally, that the customer is always right; and that we can freely criticize a company without punitive consequences via Yelp, Google, YouTube, ...name your social media. The YouTuber was not expecting a heavy handed response, and as another poster noted, he did not understand his role as an influencer for the airlines. He needed more political finesse/savviness and hopefully this is a learning experience for him. Can you imagine if he did the same critical review when he does a North Korean tour?

At the end, consumers will decide for themselves, and the earnings will show where consumer sentiment is with QR.
diburning likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Clestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by TravellingChris
This was the last kind of thing that Qatar needed to happen. Just as the horrific gynecological examination scandal was starting to fade in the memory of the international public, the airline does something else idiotic to remind the rest of the globe of its true colours. Isn't QR the same organization that was demanding extra landing rights in Australia? The company has just given the Australians the ability to say that they made exactly the right decision, that Canberra stood up to a bully and was right in doing so.

If in fact QR staff were terminated as a result of the YouTuber's review, that would seem to fit with the company's pattern of questionable behaviour in the past:
https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/2...ployee-firings
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/89171339.cms
https://www.business-humanrights.org...d-not-respond/
Except QRs extra flights application wasnt turned down because of this incident, it was turned down because Qantas (the real rulers of Australia) would earn less said that the competition was saturated.

I take it youll be lobbying the government to withdraw all Chinese airlines slots for the same reasons?
Old Dec 18, 2023, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Screenshot from the video.

LOL at the "Qatari law", they just make it up as they go along don't they?
They got YT to ban it? 🤡
HadesNL likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 11:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hugolover

Screenshot from the video.

LOL at the "Qatari law", they just make it up as they go along don't they?
They got YT to ban it? 🤡
I wouldn't laugh too hard as it wouldn't surprise me one bit if there was such a law. The Middle East isn't the US or even Europe. They, like the UAE, may put on an inviting friendly smile but just don't look too deep into their eyes.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Clestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by JackMackey
The Middle East isn't the US or even Europe...
Slightly OT but I must say - Greece was of course the first to establish such laws, and the UK and Sweden the first to codify it into their constitutions
Old Dec 18, 2023, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by choosethedrew
Slightly OT but I must say - Greece was of course the first to establish such laws, and the UK and Sweden the first to codify it into their constitutions
Other than knowing that you can't possibly mean laws against leaving bad reviews, I don't know what laws you're talking about.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 2:51 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JackMackey
Other than knowing that you can't possibly mean laws against leaving bad reviews, I don't know what laws you're talking about.
"The law, issued by Emir Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, amends the Penal Code by adding a new provision, Article 136 bis, which authorizes the imprisonment of “anyone who broadcasts, publishes, or republishes false or biased rumours, statements, or news, or inflammatory propaganda, domestically or abroad, with the intent to harm national interests, stir up public opinion, or infringe on the social system or the public system of the state”.

For Greece: "Under article 191 of the Penal Code, the dissemination, in public or online, of any information that “causes concern or fear among citizens” or “disturbs public confidence in the national economy, defence or public health” is now punishable by a prison sentence ranging from three months to five years. If the offence is committed repeatedly in the media or online, the minimum sentence increases to six months in prison. These penalties are not limited to the person who is the source of the information."

Again, I can't harp this enough; niceties and freedoms that we take for granted in the US or similar countries, are not the same in other countries. Situational awareness is important.
hugolover and diburning like this.

Last edited by HaleiwaFlyer; Dec 18, 2023 at 2:59 pm
Old Dec 18, 2023, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
Slightly OT but I must say - Greece was of course the first to establish such laws, and the UK and Sweden the first to codify it into their constitutions…
Confused - the UK does not have a codified constitution, and Sweden has four ground laws - two of which are (broadly translated as) freedom of the press and freedom of expression. Given the issues that Scandinavia often has with expression (cartoons anyone?) and the ME I think we can leave this one?
Old Dec 18, 2023, 2:57 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
Confused - the UK does not have a codified constitution, and Sweden has four ground laws - two of which are (broadly translated as) freedom of the press and freedom of expression. Given the issues that Scandinavia often has with expression (cartoons anyone?) and the ME I think we can leave this one?
There are few issues with consumer protection in Scandinvaia. I have yet to see someone raosting a company for it's services being bad and ending up in the same mess as the current QR kerfuffle.

-A
Koru Flyer and choosethedrew like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BArbs dream. Compare her Galleries "First" slop buckets to the Bibby Stockholm and you'll be banned for life and your reviews banned by HMG .
Old Dec 18, 2023, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
‘Codified’ should probably have been ‘formalised’, but it was in reference to the freedom of speech laws themselves being created, as opposed to the UK constitution itself being ‘codified’, I assume most are aware of the precedent-based system of the UK. Anyway, probably OT now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.