Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Entry to Qatar - New Insurance Requirements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2023, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Complete Pleb, former BAEC Gold, former MH Silver

Thought I'd share here as I've just recieved the following email from Qatar Airways:

Qatar Entry Requirement

Dear Trade Partners,

Please be informed that the Ministry of Public Health in Qatar has published updated entry requirements for entry into the State of Qatar effective 01 February 2023.

All visitors to Qatar must obtain health insurance covering the intended stay in the country from accredited insurance companies listed by the Ministry of Public Health in the State of Qatar.

We kindly ask you to share this updated information with any travellers with final destination Doha.

UKIE Sales
Seems to be QAR50/month (about £11, US$20) and apply to both visa applicants and visitor entry on arrival (obviously not in airport transit only).

The insurance providers are a selection of specific Qatari providers.

Appears to apply immediately!
r2d2, florin, jah718 and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Jon Baker; Feb 1, 2023 at 3:06 pm
Old Feb 1, 2023, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Thanks for posting this!
Jon Baker and wrldwide1 like this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 10:00 pm

They always come out with these last minute, half baked ideas.

For a country that is trying so hard to grow its tourism industry, it seems crazy that they are putting up more barriers. I know it's a small thing, but they are all a factor when someone is deciding where to go.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 11:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
If you really can't use your existing medical/travel insurance and have to purchase theirs this really is a faff. I know it isn't that expensive but it'd put me off stopping over.

Last edited by Schwann; Feb 2, 2023 at 12:49 am
Old Feb 2, 2023, 12:07 am

Programs: BAEC
Bonkers
Schwann, Jon Baker and Loungeabout like this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Complete Pleb, former BAEC Gold, former MH Silver
Yes certainly seems like a disincentive to enter Qatar (I've entered twice but on both occasions for less than a day).

Even worse, if you are planning on charging an entry fee, just make it really easy for us to hand over the cash in a single government portal (like the US ESTA process) - I followed these insurance links and they wanted all my personal, passport and contact information, then they'd call me.....no thanks.

Guess the world cup aside, they really don't want visitors...
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 2:28 am

The FAQs read as though it starts when you enter and ends when you leave, unless you have a multiple entry visa. So if you are entering on stopovers both ways on a journey, say twice in a week, you have to pay twice even though the policy is nominally for up to a month.

It doesn't appear to have been very well thought through, or worded. I suspect it may change once the various difficulties (many already spotted on this thread) become obvious over the next few days.
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 2:37 am

Mixed messages on tourism. This week it was announced that the validity of the Hayaa card has been extended so those who would normally need a visa to travel to Qatar don't if they have a Hayaa card.

The insurance has been in the works for a while now. Its been mentioned in the local news a number of times over the last few months.

What happens if you don't have it when you check in? Will they deny you boarding (unless you quickly go online and get it) or can you also purchase it on arrival?
Loungeabout likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 7:34 am
Suspended

Can anyone further explain what this means to us -- as we are planning on leaving the airport for just a few hours in a couple of weeks.

1. Do we still need to purchase this health insurance?
2. If so, how do we go about doing it now that it isn't a problem when we get there (to immigration/customs)?
Old Feb 2, 2023, 8:12 am
Suspended

Ignore my prior message.

I got on one of the insurance companies website and purchased a policy for my wife and me. We'll only be in town for a few hours, but it looks like you'll need it to leave the airport. Pretty easy to buy. I printed out the receipts showing proof of purchase and will carry it with me.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 9:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
liftet this comment from another website, which i can not find anymore: "Came into Hamid Int'l airport before midday today and it was rather a mess at Immigration because most people cannot prove they have insurance. I have a policy with Safety Wing and fortunately I made a kind of plasticized c/c style membership card which I keep in my wallet and it saved my bacon today as the officer accepted it."
Old Feb 2, 2023, 9:19 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by nilsfr69
liftet this comment from another website, which i can not find anymore: "Came into Hamid Int'l airport before midday today and it was rather a mess at Immigration because most people cannot prove they have insurance. I have a policy with Safety Wing and fortunately I made a kind of plasticized c/c style membership card which I keep in my wallet and it saved my bacon today as the officer accepted it."
I think from the Loyalty Lobby article comments - https://loyaltylobby.com/2023/02/01/...bruary-1-2023/
nilsfr69 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Moreover how can anyone take Qatar seriously as a tourist destination when they add these rules with no notice?
julianvik likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 10:09 am

Which one did you go for btw if you don’t mind sharing?

Originally Posted by F1.Cullen
Ignore my prior message.

I got on one of the insurance companies website and purchased a policy for my wife and me. We'll only be in town for a few hours, but it looks like you'll need it to leave the airport. Pretty easy to buy. I printed out the receipts showing proof of purchase and will carry it with me.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 10:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlySimple
Which one did you go for btw if you don’t mind sharing?
Beema (See attachment).

Copy of Qatar Insurance Policy -

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.