Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Entry to Qatar - New Insurance Requirements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Entry to Qatar - New Insurance Requirements

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2023, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by speedbuslhr
BA onto Qatar so hopefully that will sway them
The Qatari border force are unlikely to be too interested in the politics and policies of airline alliances. But, that said, if you do need to go land-side I'm pretty sure common sense will prevail in interpreting the application of the visitor health policy.

The belts and braces approach would be to cough up the premium in advance; but if you chance it, there'll be the opportunity to buy a policy at the border. If you take the chancer approach it might be wise to carry a screen-print of theMOPH advice that you can purchase a policy on arrival: things haven't bedded in yet, and check-in procedures at out-station might be over-reacting by requiring sight of policy certificates.

I don't think any of us are clear how this silliness will pan out. I intend to try it on next week with my existing health and travel-health policies: if push comes to shove, I'll buy a local one-month policy in Al Maha limbo.
Loungeabout likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 2:58 pm

Has anyone tried to take their Axa UK policy with them? I have a trip but the plan was a 12 hour lay over head out for a meal. I will get as far as the immigration desk but the question is will they actually ask for insurance if yes then I will show them Axa, if they so no, then i will be on the final page of payment to avoid being held up.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I just purchased the compulsory insurance through siassistance-alkhaleej-one of the "official" options on the Qatari health site. Super easy. Planning a 9 hour layover on Friday and for the price of a drink, I'm fine with it.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 7:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by ChicagoAlli
I just purchased the compulsory insurance through siassistance-alkhaleej-one of the "official" options on the Qatari health site. Super easy. Planning a 9 hour layover on Friday and for the price of a drink, I'm fine with it.
Based on this recommendation I have bought this policy for 2 days time and it was super simple. With auto fill on an iPhone and your passport details ready can be completed within a minute.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The Qatari border force are unlikely to be too interested in the politics and policies of airline alliances. But, that said, if you do need to go land-side I'm pretty sure common sense will prevail in interpreting the application of the visitor health policy.

The belts and braces approach would be to cough up the premium in advance; but if you chance it, there'll be the opportunity to buy a policy at the border. If you take the chancer approach it might be wise to carry a screen-print of theMOPH advice that you can purchase a policy on arrival: things haven't bedded in yet, and check-in procedures at out-station might be over-reacting by requiring sight of policy certificates.

I don't think any of us are clear how this silliness will pan out. I intend to try it on next week with my existing health and travel-health policies: if push comes to shove, I'll buy a local one-month policy in Al Maha limbo.
Do we even know yet where you will be checked if you have insurance? My guess its likely to be when you check in.
Remember that during Covid and the World Cup, you were asked for everything at check in. Once you arrived in DOH they didn't ask to see anything.

I cant try this out as I don't need the insurance!
Old Feb 12, 2023, 2:19 am

keep me posted on who checked what where. Officially I am on transit so I don’t believe they check at departure. So when I land it’s a question do they ask to see or just assume everyone has it
Old Feb 12, 2023, 11:31 am

They do check when you cross the border to arrive to Doha. make it online since the insurance counter on arrival is crowded, it takes 1 minute online but 30 minutes offline and you will also waste time when being returned from border (I have seen it with 2 people in 5 minutes that took me to cross)
Old Feb 20, 2023, 12:22 am

I arrived in Doha a few days ago and exited via the Al Safwa/ Al Mourjan immigration route and no-one asked to see my travel insurance.
I didn't see anyone being asked either.

This may not be representative, or maybe they're not asking their premium passengers for it?
Old Feb 20, 2023, 2:12 am

Programs: BA GfL, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by G-BOAA
I arrived in Doha a few days ago and exited via the Al Safwa/ Al Mourjan immigration route and no-one asked to see my travel insurance.
I didn't see anyone being asked either.

This may not be representative, or maybe they're not asking their premium passengers for it?
Same for me arriving through the lounge a couple of days ago. Had everything ready but passport was stamped and I was sent on my way without being asked.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 4:45 am

Programs: Qatar Plat, Sinbad Silver.
Just wondering if were asked at check-in to show you had the Insurance?
Many thanks
Old Feb 20, 2023, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I arrived last week and had to show it at check in at document check prior to entering the business line, also at the business line along with proof of onward flight on paper even though it was the same itinerary and also at Al Mourjan Business arrivals immigration- all paper - no online versions accepted.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 6:00 am

Programs: BA GfL, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Loungeabout
Just wondering if were asked at check-in to show you had the Insurance?
Many thanks
Not asked at check-in, although was on LHR-DOH-HKT with a long transit so likely wouldn’t have flagged on the system as needing to meet entry requirements for Qatar.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 6:10 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Neilgcal
I arrived last week and had to show it at check in at document check prior to entering the business line, also at the business line along with proof of onward flight on paper even though it was the same itinerary and also at Al Mourjan Business arrivals immigration- all paper - no online versions accepted.
Same here: Saturday evening dep LHR, Sunday arr Doha.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 6:36 am

Programs: Qatar Plat, Sinbad Silver.
Thanks for the replies.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 7:44 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Thanks for the recommendation - I'm flying this weekend and selected the same; took 5 mins and have the policy on email. No issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.