Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Entry to Qatar - New Insurance Requirements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Entry to Qatar - New Insurance Requirements

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2023, 8:08 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Just taken out cover with Beema for Mrs IM & myself, flying to Qatar soon.

It was a bit strange during the registration process:
  • Required a mobile number, but wouldn't accept my UK mobile. Would only accept an 8 digit number beginning with 3,5,6 or 7. Suspect that's a Qatari number, I just made something up. When through to the registration of travelers I was able to enter my correct UK mobile number
  • When entering my home address I was required to provide a P.O. Box number. Given my home address was there in full, again I just made something up
To be fair it was generally straight forward, & cost was around £15 for two persons, for a week in Qatar. Irritating given there was no charge previously, but cheaper than the £25pp entry it used to be. The insurance certificate was emailed immediately & seems to display all the relevant details.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
just accept any standard int. travel insurance as any other civilised countries in the world have done for ages... (most of us have them anyway)
why invent the wheel all over again (as happened in so many SEA countries during covid 19 times)
Old Feb 3, 2023, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The MOPH site suggests we could submit details of existing cover for evaluation. Though good luck with that!

The easiest path to entry will be to fill in the forms and cough up the modest premium for cover from the local providers.

I note those companies listed as approved international providers include only GIG Gulf Axa Insurance Qatar. While I've a feeling Qatar's border-force would happily accept my annual worldwide certificate from AXA (UK), I'm less confident of check-in agents being as willing to accept it - even though it seems arriving passengers can apply for a policy on arrival.
Agree fully, I can imagine the confusion of AXA UK vs AXA Gulf which was acquired by GIG, for both passengers and the check in agents.

I hope they improve the process soon!
Old Feb 4, 2023, 5:39 am

Programs: BA, VA
Originally Posted by Mister P.
Hi, does the travel insurance requirement also apply to passengers in transit? HfP seems to suggest that is the case, haven't been able to find any information online,
https://www.headforpoints.com/2023/0...ravel-to-doha/
Originally Posted by plunet
I've put a 'something is wrong' feedback into the UK FCDO page for Qatar, directing them at HfP, which will hopefully prompt someone in the UK Gov to actually work out what the real requirements is
According to the HfP article yesterday (3rd Feb) "The situation has now taken a rather silly turn. As of 1st February, anyone entering Qatar (transit passengers are excluded) is required to have travel insurance issued by a company based in Qatar.". I haven't seen anything since then to contradict this article.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 2:01 pm

Programs: Some
What's hilarous is I'm just booking a QR flight to DOH currently and I'm being strongly encouraged to add AIG Travel Guard insurance to my booking for £46 which reassuringly has 'Covid-19 coverage included', which I could do to then arrive in DOH and find out that I still need to buy another insurance policy!

IAN-UK, jfkeze, jah718 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
What's hilarous is I'm just booking a QR flight to DOH currently and I'm being strongly encouraged to add AIG Travel Guard insurance to my booking for £46 which reassuringly has 'Covid-19 coverage included', which I could do to then arrive in DOH and find out that I still need to buy another insurance policy!
In fact, it has a much better coverage...
Old Feb 4, 2023, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I've got a hazy understanding of the Qatar approach to political administration, and I don't think chum-ocracy is at work here. It's a cack-handed approach to covering the cost of providing limited health cover to visitors. The state isn't short of a bob or two, but maybe the cost of providing treatment to visitors has reached unacceptable levels even for Qatar's deep pockets.

There are simpler methods of taking modest amounts from visitors. Maybe tagging a couple of riyal onto each night's accommodation would achieve the same end in a simpler, more seamless way. Neighbouring Saudi Arabia achieves that end by incorporating health insurance in its fees for a tourist visa.

Qatar has (so far) resisted the temptation to introduce taxes and levies such as VAT and the daily fixed tax on hotel stays we face in so many other places. Last time I looked, Dubai visitors paid UAE's 5% VAT + 7% Dubai tax + an additional tourism tax per night related to the star-rating of the hotel. Together with hotel service charges of 10% this boosted hotel rates by around 25%.
I think adding the charges onto a hotel stay wouldn't affect the majority of visitors who use the health services.

I think as mentioned earlier on, the vast majority of travelers who use the free public health services are those who come on a family tourist visa, and stay in the country for many months. Many residents see Qatar as their home, those from Asian and other Middle Eastern countries. They often have relatives come and stay with them for long periods of time (not in hotels). Many of these are elderly.

I still agree that there's probably a better way of doing this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Ben_W
I think adding the charges onto a hotel stay wouldn't affect the majority of visitors who use the health services.

I think as mentioned earlier on, the vast majority of travelers who use the free public health services are those who come on a family tourist visa, and stay in the country for many months. Many residents see Qatar as their home, those from Asian and other Middle Eastern countries. They often have relatives come and stay with them for long periods of time (not in hotels). Many of these are elderly.
Yet it's pretty obvious the state wishes to avoid targeting the visitors who most use the health services. There are compelling political, social and labour-related reasons for that approach. If the will were there, it would be a simple matter to add a health levy to certain categories of visas - in the way other states, including the UK, target longer stay visitors.

Instead the Qatari government has opted to spread the load as widely as possible. I've no argument with that approach, but its implementation is odd. The state has passed the buck to insurance companies.

I've no idea how willingly those companies have accepted the risk at the mandated premiums, but the involvement of commercial third-parties adds inefficiencies as well as creating a significant administrative burden for visitors. That burden impacts the economy by discouraging tourism.

It would be simpler for the state to raise compensatory revenue for the costs of supplying emergency health services to visitors by a form of direct taxation on those visitors. A single levy on entry collected through air tickets, or a daily tax on accommodation would achieve this end. A great advantage of such an approach would be to remove the administrative burden on visitors, and avoid creating a disincentive to tourism.

But, yes, a hotel tax would remove as contributors many of those benefitting from health services, that might not be a concern to the state

I note that the blurb from the MOPH covers emergency services. I can see arguments brewing between insurance companies and policy-holders over exactly what can be covered as emergency treatment. They'll want to nip health tourism in the bud,
Ben_W likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 2:53 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Short-sighted policy. We have an 8-hour layover next week and were going to go into town for a few hours for some local shopping at the souq and potentially dinner, but now we probably aren't and it's not the money, it's not knowing what immigration will be like with this policy.

Local businesses (Uber/taxi drivers, restaurants, etc) lose out from this scheme well it sounds like a couple of Qatari health insurance providers end up making money.
I booked a 25 hour layover in Doha just to see it on a long haul trip. Wouldn't have bothered with the hotel, transport, meals and costs of sightseeing if I'd know this was going to be brought in.
​​​​
lowfareair and seanp7 like this.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 9:31 am

That's annoying. Flying on Saturday and will have an 9 hour layover in Doha, planning to do the 3 hour transit tour, and looking at the information it seems like I'd still be required to purchase insurance...
Old Feb 10, 2023, 7:12 pm

Hi all,

I am connecting next week on 2 separate tickets. The plan is to land on one flight and I will have to collect bags, land myself and check in for the next flight immediately. No plan to enter Doha. Will they let me do this without the insurance?
Old Feb 10, 2023, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by speedbuslhr
Hi all,

I am connecting next week on 2 separate tickets. The plan is to land on one flight and I will have to collect bags, land myself and check in for the next flight immediately. No plan to enter Doha. Will they let me do this without the insurance?
You probably need the insurance unless you can talk you way out of it at check-in and/or immigration.

Which carriers are you flying with? Could the transit desk be your saviour and check you in for the subsequent flight and redirect your bags?
Old Feb 11, 2023, 1:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I suspect if the connection is QR to QR (and maybe QR to another OW airline) they'll waive the insurance requirement, much like they did when the Hayya card thing was around.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by plunet
You probably need the insurance unless you can talk you way out of it at check-in and/or immigration.

Which carriers are you flying with? Could the transit desk be your saviour and check you in for the subsequent flight and redirect your bags?
BA onto Qatar so hopefully that will sway them
Old Feb 11, 2023, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by speedbuslhr
BA onto Qatar so hopefully that will sway them
BA definitely will NOT check you through, but the transit desk in Doha will almost certainly be able to redirect your baggage for you onto QR without needing to go landside, and check you in for your onwards journey. Hopefully you can get to the desk before your luggage gets onto the belt but even then I understand a baggage agent will go looking for your bags and put them back into the baggage system.

In this case I would say you don't need to buy the insurance, and definitely not in advance. If the worst comes to the worst you can buy online as you are heading for immigration if the transit desk fails you in some way.

If you have a similar return journey QR will check through to BA.

Have a good journey, you'll enjoy QR more than BA!
Loungeabout and GratefulSmile like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.