Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Entry to Qatar - New Insurance Requirements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Entry to Qatar - New Insurance Requirements

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2023, 8:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Just bought a policy and selected Qatar General Insurance …… purely on the basis that their website looked more professional than the first two I clicked on (though I stress looked !)

All sorted and my (very official !) certificate was received by email within seconds of making standard minimum payment of QAR50.

One issue I did encounter during the process was the apparent ‘requirement’ to upload a photo of my main passport ID page. The site repeatedly rejected it, saying each time that the max file size was 10mb, even though I knew for sure that mine was well below. In the end I just clicked the pay now button and hey ho the policy docs were duly issued.
BeeNYC and Loungeabout like this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Went through immigration this evening 10pm. Full checks for insurance. Multiple people in front of me didn’t have it and were sent upstairs to purchase.

Officer accepted the digital copy on phone.
Loungeabout and commodities like this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Loungeabout
Just wondering if were asked at check-in to show you had the Insurance?
Many thanks
i was asked for certificate st check-in at Johannesburg and Jeddah. The agents didn't press it when i said I didnt jave one (I can be bloody minded!)
Loungeabout likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Ben_W
Do we even know yet where you will be checked if you have insurance? My guess its likely to be when you check in.
Remember that during Covid and the World Cup, you were asked for everything at check in. Once you arrived in DOH they didn't ask to see anything.

I cant try this out as I don't need the insurance!
​​​​​​

Check-In at JNB asked for the certificate. It was 6am, I was grumpy and said something on the lines of "you don't need to see that" : agent giggled and printed the boarding card.

At Doha the immigration officer simply checked the logo of my UK AXA policy against the logos displayed on her desk top.

There again she was in very intense phone conversation thoughout, so maybe not fully vigilant

Arriving from Jeddah all much the same.

I jave no idea if my UK policy is de jure acceptable, though i have a strong feeling I blagged it. So I'm touching wood my luck holds next week!!
Loungeabout likes this.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Feb 28, 2023 at 10:54 pm
Old Mar 1, 2023, 12:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I followed the link to get the insurance on moph.gov.qa and it says I don't need it if I have International Travel Ins that meets their criteria and is on some govt list. You upload your policy to govt site and they tell you, or you show it to the border official. The list appears to be kept secret and i can't find any link to upload anything so might try my luck with my Chubb/Amex annual policy that far exceeds the requirements. Hard to imagine a worse thought through idea!
Are people just using their regular travel insurance, I'm loathed to buy 7/8 useless policies per year even if they aren't expensive.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 2:03 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by MrCheapSeats
I followed the link to get the insurance on moph.gov.qa and it says I don't need it if I have International Travel Ins that meets their criteria and is on some govt list. You upload your policy to govt site and they tell you, or you show it to the border official. The list appears to be kept secret and i can't find any link to upload anything so might try my luck with my Chubb/Amex annual policy that far exceeds the requirements. Hard to imagine a worse thought through idea!
Are people just using their regular travel insurance, I'm loathed to buy 7/8 useless policies per year even if they aren't expensive.
This might work if your global policy has Qatari linkage somehow (I’m guessing) - but in my case the officer has a little placard of the 7-8 valid insurance companies and he matched mine up to that (i purchased a Qatari one).

If yours doesn’t work, they’ll send you back & upstairs to buy a valid one, then you’ll have to queue again. If it’s not busy, it wouldn’t be bad - but if it is…
Old Mar 1, 2023, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Ben_W
Do we even know yet where you will be checked if you have insurance? My guess its likely to be when you check in.
Remember that during Covid and the World Cup, you were asked for everything at check in. Once you arrived in DOH they didn't ask to see anything.

I cant try this out as I don't need the insurance!
Coming from Barcelona early in February, nobody asked for it until we were off the plane. There was a desk before you head down to arrivals asking if we needed it - but no proof was required. I just said we had it already. Then at immigration they wanted to see it. I showed them a PDF printout and he just checked that it included two people. No other questions or checks of the printout.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 2:43 pm

I read about the insurance thing but ignored it and wanted to ask for more clarification on arrival. Went through immigration around 1am on Feb 27th.

Was prepared to buy it on arrival, but then...they didn't ask me for anything. Not a single word about it.

I had a layover of less then 24hrs...does that play in?
Old Mar 7, 2023, 9:56 pm
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
Has the requirement changed for short stays? I went to purchase online and noticed that this page says that insurance is only required for stays over 30 days: https://visitqatar.com/intl-en/pract...alth-insurance
Old Mar 8, 2023, 12:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
A sensible move, although I suppose not before plenty of people have purchased a policy unnecessarily.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by gba
Has the requirement changed for short stays? I went to purchase online and noticed that this page says that insurance is only required for stays over 30 days: https://visitqatar.com/intl-en/pract...alth-insurance
nice find 👍🏼
Old Mar 8, 2023, 12:42 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Can anyone that’s crossed into Doha recently confirm that the insurance requirement for even a quick 12 hour stopover has been rescinded? Have a stopover coming up soon and want to see if there’s first hand reports if I indeed still need this insurance or not.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by gba
I also spotted that on the Visit Qatar website a couple of days ago. But before anyone gets too excited, the MOPH website still says this today:

Now that may be a delay in updating their info, or an error at Visit Qatar. We shall see...

https://www.moph.gov.qa/english/derp...​​
Old Mar 10, 2023, 12:14 am

Passed through AUH-DOH-AUH on a 36 hour visit earlier in the week and purchased the policy online, but no one anywhere along the way even mentioned insurance.. unless they managed to link the insurance system with the check in/immigration? Because they do ask for the passport when you buy the policy

If not, then a waste of QAR 50
Old Mar 10, 2023, 12:34 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by KingCanute
I also spotted that on the Visit Qatar website a couple of days ago. But before anyone gets too excited, the MOPH website still says this today:

Now that may be a delay in updating their info, or an error at Visit Qatar. We shall see...

https://www.moph.gov.qa/english/derp...​​
It might not be updated yet. I received the attached trade update from QR yesterday.
Loungeabout and KingCanute like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.