Wiki Posts
Search

Booking Qatar award with BA Avios

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2022, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US; AA; UA; Hilton Gold; Club Carlson Gold; IHG Platinum;
Booking Qatar award with BA Avios

Do I actually have to move Avios from BAEC to Privilege Club first in order to see and book award tickets on Qatar?

I linked my BA account that has more than enough Avios to be able to purchase Qatar award ticket and can see my Avios balance on My Dashboard. But I can not see any award tickets when searching using this link
Home->Privilege Club->My dashboard->Spend my Avios. It only shows cash options for any flight (even economy).

Based on T&C it appears that you don't have to move Avios from BA in order to make award redemption

(a) Linked Members may redeem Avios from either or both of their linked accounts for Award tickets or Cash + Avios without moving Avios first. This feature is not available offline.

(b) Avios can be deducted from either or both accounts based on Linked Member choice and available balances at time of checkout as follows:

I. Linked accounts: Avios will be deducted from both accounts in proportion to the balance of each account.

II. Privilege Club first: Avios will be deducted from the Privilege Club account first, and any remainder will be deducted from the BAEC account.

III. BAEC first: Avios will be deducted from the BAEC account first, and any remainder will be deducted from the Privilege Club account.

What am I missing here? I would appreciate your help
Old Jun 3, 2022, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Are you able to see Avios redemption options for other routes on other carriers (like BA LON-MAN)? If not, then you are doing something wrong.

On the BA app, I have to log in, then click on "Reward Flights" on the drop-down menu, and then log in a second time, in order to be able to search specific routes on specific days.

Not sure if the process is different at ba.com.

For a random date this month, this is what I'm seeing for LON-DOH on the BA app:

Edited to add: I was only looking for availability using the BA app. Unless Privilege Club is offering a lower redemption rate or better availability than BAEC, there is no reason to link accounts, transfer Avios, etc.

Last edited by guv1976; Jun 3, 2022 at 4:21 pm
Old Jun 3, 2022, 9:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
I made a redemption booking just 4 weeks ago and am sitting at my destination as I write this.
Firstly - you don’t need to transfer your avios until you find availability, and when you do it’s pretty instantaneous.
Second - don’t look for availability on the BA site, log into your QR account and do it there from the home page.
Prices can be displayed in Qmiles and in cash.
There’s a button to show a weeks worth of availability at a time so you don’t need to enter every single date to search.
You will see more availability , and for me as a UK resident, I had taxes that were materially less than BA.
The site seems to have a propensity to play up after you’ve done a few searches by clicking on “change”, so you may need to go back to the home page to do all the searches you want.
Keep a note of the dates and flights you want, go transfer sufficient avios over to Qmiles, then make your booking.

Then all you have to look forward to is your Qsuite flight being changed for older generation J seats, then your flight being cancelled after boarding, being held in the airport for 6 hours with little help from QR, being put on another flight that ends up being delayed 12 hours, and ultimately after several hours on hold with contact centres while in two different airports, reaching your destination over 24 hours late. But that’s another story.
detony, GalaxyChris and carl321 like this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Could someone help me find a detailed explanation on how to proceed to link my existing BA BAEC to the QR privilege club?
Is there better availability of QR flights on Privilege than on BAEC?
Old Jun 4, 2022, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by brunos
Could someone help me find a detailed explanation on how to proceed to link my existing BA BAEC to the QR privilege club?
Is there better availability of QR flights on Privilege than on BAEC?
Just go here and follow the instructions.

Your name, DOB, need to match 100% ... otherwise the linking will error out.

https://exchange.shopping.ba.com/partner/qatar
brunos likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: US; AA; UA; Hilton Gold; Club Carlson Gold; IHG Platinum;
Originally Posted by Kpoxa
Do I actually have to move Avios from BAEC to Privilege Club first in order to see and book award tickets on Qatar?
Just wanted to update on my original post.
Once I moved 10 Avios from my linked BAEC account to QR account I was able to see award prices. I haven't tried to book a flight yet as there is no availability for my dates, so I don't know if I have to move required Avios to QR first or it can take needed Avios from my linked BAEC account without actually moving them first.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Kpoxa
Just wanted to update on my original post.
Once I moved 10 Avios from my linked BAEC account to QR account I was able to see award prices. I haven't tried to book a flight yet as there is no availability for my dates, so I don't know if I have to move required Avios to QR first or it can take needed Avios from my linked BAEC account without actually moving them first.
It will try to take the balance between the total avios required and what you have in your QRPC account from your BA account, but from memory it asks you to login to your BA account as part of the process. Or you can move them first.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, JX Insighter, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lostantipod

then all you have to look forward to is your qsuite flight being changed for older generation j seats, then your flight being cancelled after boarding, being held in the airport for 6 hours with little help from qr, being put on another flight that ends up being delayed 12 hours, and ultimately after several hours on hold with contact centres while in two different airports, reaching your destination over 24 hours late. But that’s another story.
lol

👏​​​​​​​👏​​​​​​​👏
LostAntipod likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 8:40 pm

Programs: Qatar PC
Originally Posted by LostAntipod
I made a redemption booking just 4 weeks ago and am sitting at my destination as I write this.
Firstly - you don’t need to transfer your avios until you find availability, and when you do it’s pretty instantaneous.
Second - don’t look for availability on the BA site, log into your QR account and do it there from the home page.
Prices can be displayed in Qmiles and in cash.
There’s a button to show a weeks worth of availability at a time so you don’t need to enter every single date to search.
You will see more availability , and for me as a UK resident, I had taxes that were materially less than BA.
The site seems to have a propensity to play up after you’ve done a few searches by clicking on “change”, so you may need to go back to the home page to do all the searches you want.
Keep a note of the dates and flights you want, go transfer sufficient avios over to Qmiles, then make your booking.

Then all you have to look forward to is your Qsuite flight being changed for older generation J seats, then your flight being cancelled after boarding, being held in the airport for 6 hours with little help from QR, being put on another flight that ends up being delayed 12 hours, and ultimately after several hours on hold with contact centres while in two different airports, reaching your destination over 24 hours late. But that’s another story.
QR let’s you look at award flights without having points in your account? I had to transfer from BA to QR until then they didn’t let me search for award flights. I’m in Canada transferring from Amex to BA to QR
Old Jun 4, 2022, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
Are you able to see Avios redemption options for other routes on other carriers (like BA LON-MAN)? If not, then you are doing something wrong.

On the BA app, I have to log in, then click on "Reward Flights" on the drop-down menu, and then log in a second time, in order to be able to search specific routes on specific days.

Not sure if the process is different at ba.com.

For a random date this month, this is what I'm seeing for LON-DOH on the BA app:

Edited to add: I was only looking for availability using the BA app. Unless Privilege Club is offering a lower redemption rate or better availability than BAEC, there is no reason to link accounts, transfer Avios, etc.
I believe the amount of Avios charged is the same but the carrier surcharge is much higher on BA, just like the situation of IB and BA. You pay less $ booking with QR.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10

Does one need to dismantle Household Account at BA first in order to link the QR account?
Old Jun 5, 2022, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10

Many thanks
CodeAdam10 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Does one need to dismantle Household Account at BA first in order to link the QR account?
No
Old Jun 6, 2022, 4:51 am

You don’t need to move the required miles to see availability . Read my earlier post.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 5:02 am

I had 1000 Qmiles in my account when I searched, but I didn’t do any transfer from BA until I found reward flights I wanted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.