Booking Qatar award with BA Avios

Old Dec 12, 2022, 7:03 am

Programs: UA Silver
Long Haul in U(biz award), connection only in X(econ). PHL-DOH-MCT

Wondering if folks here have encountered or know of a work-around. Just booked PHL-DOH-MCT Nov16 2pp in business but I did not see until ticketed the DOH-MCT leg was in X economy while PHL-DOH was U business. With a 9 hour layover we need the second in bus or first. all the searching for other days yields that the DOH-MCT is only booking into X. I called BA and the rep sounded very aware of this quirk and tried to rebook the DOH-MCT piece into first,. I did search on that leg only and the BA website returned availability so I thought it might be possible. CSR could not get the ticket changed and he said QR will not do it even with a phone call. So I cancelled the ticket as I was still in the 24hour window. Has anyone encountered or know of a work-around to get the X connection rebooked into the higher class? Thanks.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by detony
Wondering if folks here have encountered or know of a work-around. Just booked PHL-DOH-MCT Nov16 2pp in business but I did not see until ticketed the DOH-MCT leg was in X economy while PHL-DOH was U business. With a 9 hour layover we need the second in bus or first. all the searching for other days yields that the DOH-MCT is only booking into X. I called BA and the rep sounded very aware of this quirk and tried to rebook the DOH-MCT piece into first,. I did search on that leg only and the BA website returned availability so I thought it might be possible. CSR could not get the ticket changed and he said QR will not do it even with a phone call. So I cancelled the ticket as I was still in the 24hour window. Has anyone encountered or know of a work-around to get the X connection rebooked into the higher class? Thanks.
Welcome to the world of QR married segments where it absolutely does not have to make sense.
Tofino87 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bump up this thread

Can the regulars confirm that now booking QR routes would cost the same Avios and $ either going thru QR or BA, with the only advantage is QR would show better availability?

When the syncing started, there were significant variance especially in term of the $ portion. Have that being resolved now?
Old Dec 17, 2022, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Bump up this thread

Can the regulars confirm that now booking QR routes would cost the same Avios and $ either going thru QR or BA, with the only advantage is QR would show better availability?

When the syncing started, there were significant variance especially in term of the $ portion. Have that being resolved now?
just do dummy bookings and confirm for yourself, i find they are not always identical, sometimes favouring BA , but usually QR.
I do prefer the BA cancellation options vs QR, plus you can use points from your entire household, but i feel booking via QR "might" mean less chance of being downgraded (but that's a total guess),
Old Dec 17, 2022, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by babyg_wc
just do dummy bookings and confirm for yourself, i find they are not always identical, sometimes favouring BA , but usually QR.
I do prefer the BA cancellation options vs QR, plus you can use points from your entire household, but i feel booking via QR "might" mean less chance of being downgraded (but that's a total guess),
What is the advantage of BA cancellation method over QR's? Do you mind to give some examples?

I dont have the need for the moment. I thought there was a "trick" to get the other member's pts in the household account to move to your account via the transfer BA Avios to QR Avios channel that was reported either in this thread or another thread(s) in BA forum when the seamless transfer became effective. (the portion of the household member account would "contribute" to the transfer amount).
Old Dec 18, 2022, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
What is the advantage of BA cancellation method over QR's? Do you mind to give some examples?

I dont have the need for the moment. I thought there was a "trick" to get the other member's pts in the household account to move to your account via the transfer BA Avios to QR Avios channel that was reported either in this thread or another thread(s) in BA forum when the seamless transfer became effective. (the portion of the household member account would "contribute" to the transfer amount).
I am not aware that you can transfer household avios (from other members) to your QR account. If you know a trick please share a link.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brunos
I am not aware that you can transfer household avios (from other members) to your QR account. If you know a trick please share a link.
When the facility was implemented, there was a temporary glitch that moved HHA Avios to QR instead of your own personal Avios.

But the OP was saying that an advantage of booking via BA is that you can use your HHA instead of just your own...
Old Dec 18, 2022, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Maybe status is the key here. I think you need to be GGL with BA to match the penalty-free cancellation of awards that Golds, and above, enjoy with QR. Then again, if you'd be in the penalty area for both carriers, maybe the cost would be less onerous under QR. It's a theory I'm too lazy to test out.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
Originally Posted by craigthemif
When the facility was implemented, there was a temporary glitch that moved HHA Avios to QR instead of your own personal Avios.

But the OP was saying that an advantage of booking via BA is that you can use your HHA instead of just your own...
It was mentioned right in BA forum from the very early on when the QR and BA Avios can be transferred freely. It has something to do about how the household member's account would "compensate" the points taking out..

That must be a loophole at that time that has since closed. I regret I have not done anything when this "mechanism" surfaced.

And yes, my main goal is to find out if QR and BA have aligned the Avios / $ charged, then what is the advantage to book with QR other than better availability?
Though posters said you have to test the actual routes as there are still discrepancies exist, hence unless you check each route, you do not know which program would be "cheaper".

Last edited by Happy; Dec 18, 2022 at 10:46 am
Old Dec 21, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Is anyone else struggling to keep your accounts linked? Every time I log back into QR.com I have to relink my BA account. And the QR web site is so buggy it is a fairly sizable pain to do that each time you want to check availability….
Old Dec 21, 2022, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
Is anyone else struggling to keep your accounts linked? Every time I log back into QR.com I have to relink my BA account. And the QR web site is so buggy it is a fairly sizable pain to do that each time you want to check availability….
I found this trick helpful. Search for a paid ticket on QR.com first, and then when results load, click on the book with Avios link on that page. It will then show award availability.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
That’s just it. QR doesn’t let you see Avios availability without a balance and my balance sits with BA. So when my accounts unlink each time, in order to see availability I have to re-link. Every time. In between all the HTTP errors that QR.com throws.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 10:52 am

What is the advantage of BA cancellation method over QR's? Do you mind to give some examples?.
Hmm i thought it was cheaper to cancel a BA reward (35pp) but i think im wrong after a quick google as QR seems to be $25pp..
https://www.qatarairways.com/en/Priv...cket-fees.html
Old Dec 23, 2022, 6:15 pm

Hi all - so I am new to this game and struggling to see any availability on Qatar. I have transferred 1,500 Avios from my BA account but still in just get an error message saying there are no flights on the particular date.

is there a way to search and see availability on other dates around the dates I have selected?

Do I need to search by sectors? I.e one search to Doha and then another search for the next leg?

I must confess I am used to the simplicity of BA if that is such a thing :-)
Old Dec 23, 2022, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by babyg_wc
Hmm i thought it was cheaper to cancel a BA reward (35pp) but i think im wrong after a quick google as QR seems to be $25pp..
https://www.qatarairways.com/en/Priv...cket-fees.html
Dont forget the non-redeemable fee they tack on per sector.

I cancelled a SYD-DOH-DFW about 6 months ago and they kept roughly 120. Crazy.

Maybe it depends on the cabin tok, but that ticket was F then J.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.