Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR unbundles business class with new R fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2020, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
Please check the table below to see if you are impacted by the new changes.

NEW FARE FAMILIES (AND ITS ATTRIBUTES) ONLY APPLY TO TICKETS ISSUED ON QR 157 STOCK.

For FAQs related to the new fare families, visit https://www.qatarairways.com/tradepa...eFamilies.html.

Print Wikipost

QR unbundles business class with new R fares

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2020, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Smid
What about people sitting on travel vouchers for the last six months, waiting for airports to open to actually book something likely to fly?

Nah, we're stuffed with an unrefundable set of vouchers with the product now changed under our feet.
I don't have information about that.

Originally Posted by drwook
Do we know what the cost is for Al Mourjan / Al Safwa as an add on or walk up, or is this just not an option? I was looking at a trip that left me quite a number of hours to kill in DOH with the wife, so I'd quite like that to be a nice experience otherwise I'll probably need to look at other options/carriers
If I'm not wrong, Al Mourjan access could be purchased on the QR website for something around $90-110 per person. To be specific, there should be a link available on MMB.
Although, until the Business/First Class lounges re-open, you would have access to the Al Mourjan for free + 1 guest via your BA Gold status.

For Al Safwa, I have no idea.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Has it been confirmed that Business Classic oneworld status passengers will continue to have free seat selection and access to third party/non-QR oneworld airline lounges, as well as the QR F/J lounges once open post-COVID?

I'm assuming it's just Al Mourjan and QR's premium lounges at LHR, CDG and SIN that are excluded?
Old Nov 10, 2020, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Genius1
Has it been confirmed that Business Classic oneworld status passengers will continue to have free seat selection and access to third party/non-QR oneworld airline lounges, as well as the QR F/J lounges once open post-COVID?
Yes, access to lounges through oneworld status has no impact on these changes and I have verified that non-QRPC OWS and higher get free seat selection on Business Classic fares.

I'm assuming it's just Al Mourjan and QR's premium lounges at LHR, CDG and SIN that are excluded?
Exactly, LHR, CDG, SIN, BEY & Al Mourjan excluded.
Genius1 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines
Having recently had my QR Business cabin flights (which at the time included free seat selection and lounge access in DOH to cushion a 6 hour layover) to HND cancelled, I took a QR travel voucher with the view of rebooking either to HND or another destination in 2021. I am not best pleased to discover the introduction of the new fare structure for R fares today! A dummy booking shows a return fare increase of a Comfort ticket (to have the free seat and lounge access) of 65%, which frankly is outrageous.

It will interesting to discover the price of seat selection (especially on 4 flights to/from SE Asia) and lounge access at DOH as individual additional extras over and above the cost of the new Classic fare.

Also as BA Silver, would that carry any weight in terms of waiving these charges?
Old Nov 10, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: QRPC
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Different from what EK did, QR Silver and higher members are still able to select seats for free on 'R' and 'I' fare class tickets, so you would be unimpacted by the change.

The only impact for you would be that, you would be visiting the "First Class Lounge" rather than "Al Mourjan" when it re-opens.

Also for those who are complaining about lounge access and seat selection,

If you fly an EU-Asia or EU-Africa twice in R fare, you would have Silver status in QRPC which would give you free seat selection and lounge access.

So, this change would affect one-time flyers more rather than those who are flying frequently.
Originally Posted by Lefly
Yes, but my problem is mostly with the DOH layovers. I don't mind 6h/8h night time wait in the Al Mourjan Lounge as there is plenty of space for sleeping there - but I would think twice to book if I didn't get access on the same price paid before. From what I can remember, the DOH lounge for OW elites isn't that good.
The Business and First Class lounges for OW elites leave much to be desired, especially if you've been to Al Mourjan or spoiled by Al Safwa. I only had to use them once on a miles upgraded flight but fortunately, I had STPC so spent the majority of the time in the airport hotel and pool/spa, only venturing there for the occasional snack. I've also spent 12 hour+ layovers in AM and AS with relative ease. It was a completely different ballgame in AS since you could get a private room and get some good rest.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by higham44
Having recently had my QR Business cabin flights (which at the time included free seat selection and lounge access in DOH to cushion a 6 hour layover) to HND cancelled, I took a QR travel voucher with the view of rebooking either to HND or another destination in 2021. I am not best pleased to discover the introduction of the new fare structure for R fares today! A dummy booking shows a return fare increase of a Comfort ticket (to have the free seat and lounge access) of 65%, which frankly is outrageous.

It will interesting to discover the price of seat selection (especially on 4 flights to/from SE Asia) and lounge access at DOH as individual additional extras over and above the cost of the new Classic fare.

Also as BA Silver, would that carry any weight in terms of waiving these charges?
As a BA Silver, you would not pay for seats.
Plus, you would have lounge access at DOH ( Al Mourjan if the Business/First Lounges are closed; the Business Class Lounge if it's reopened )

JAL Sakura Lounge access at TYO remains unaffected.

By the way, I have prepared this table for the convenience of members.
This table would also be added to the WIKI of this thread.

36902BRF, YYCCL3 and JKG like this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Lefly
Yes, but my problem is mostly with the DOH layovers. I don't mind 6h/8h night time wait in the Al Mourjan Lounge as there is plenty of space for sleeping there - but I would think twice to book if I didn't get access on the same price paid before. From what I can remember, the DOH lounge for OW elites isn't that good.
In effect, the balance from your corner of Europe has probably swung firmly towards TK in terms of value. I'm looking at my Bali trip from Amsterdam, where TK's business-class fare is cheaper than QR's business-lite ticket by EUR100 or so.

To upgrade to QR Comfort-Business (a bizarre concept in itself!), would set me back an additional EUR1600 , and pput the QR service on par with TK's. They stand as much chance of pocketing that upsell from passengers as they do persuading Y folk to upgrade to business-lite.

Now for QR, coordinating the musings of H.E., his marketing and commercial teams and guys in IT is not a simple task. Bless them . But you'd think they just might have thought all this through before launching the policy. Definitely not the sharpest knives in the drawer.......
NoY and Lefly like this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
As a BA Silver, you would not pay for seats.
Plus, you would have lounge access at DOH ( Al Mourjan if the Business/First Lounges are closed; the Business Class Lounge if it's reopened )

JAL Sakura Lounge access at TYO remains unaffected.

By the way, I have prepared this table for the convenience of members.
This table would also be added to the WIKI of this thread.
You are very brave to go out on a limb like this. I'm not sure that QR has produced a detailed policy on these issues. History tells us that what currently can be done with seat reservation, can be undone very quickly: and policies can change capriciously.

Above all, don't attach much value to how lounge agents believe policies will evolve: they're unlikely to have any more idea than I, you or the man in the moon.
etiene likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:16 am

Well that's it, goodbye Qatar Airways. I have flown Qatar airways several times over the years and rate their business class as one of the best in the skies. Thoroughly enjoyed their Heathrow lounge and to a lesser extent Al Mourjan (because I am always tired when I arrive in transit). I have just had a quick look at the price differentials in the newly introduced Business class structure and there is no way that I will pay the extra being asked for prior seat selection or lounge access. Quite simply I will now look at other airlines rather than always tending to fly with Qatar. Perhaps I should add that as a pensioner, I no longer have any corporation footing the bill, hence the need to secure value for money, and their so called 'enhancement' will have cost them a customer. I doubt if this will bother them much!
NoY and nilsfr69 like this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
You are very brave to go out on a limb like this. I'm not sure that QR has produced a detailed policy on these issues. History tells us that what currently can be done with seat reservation, can be undone very quickly: and policies can change capriciously.

Above all, don't attach much value to how lounge agents believe policies will evolve: they're unlikely to have any more idea than I, you or the man in the moon.
When admission is not possible via travel class ( 'R' fare or 'I' fare ), access is still possible via status. In some cases, oneworld regulations apply so it was quite easy to prepare the table itself.

Although, it's true that QR could change the rules for status passengers on their own lounges and contract lounges.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Why the difference between no access to the LHR/CDG/SIN/BEY QR lounges and access granted to the QR BKK lounge? I'm assuming it's because QR partner with a third party operator in all of those locations (except BKK) for status passengers in Y (and soon to be J Classic)?

Interestingly the BKK lounge no longer appears on the QR or oneworld websites.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:22 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I'm going to say this, for a 2nd time, in the hope that people bother reading it.

QR have not yet fully filed the fare prices, so if you are looking more than 30 days in advance, there is a high chance the fares will be changed within the next few days. This is down to IT delays.

M

P.S. Thanks for the table IST_flyer but I think BEY needs to be changed to BKK
Genius1, Lefly, Baresi and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is the difference between the LHR/CDG/SIN/BEY lounges and the BKK lounge?
There's been an error on my side I guess, when I checked previously the BKK lounge was accepting OWS & OWE.

Now, these passengers are directed to the Miracle Lounge.
Table would be shortly updated.

Thanks for catching that.
Genius1 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Corrected version of the table

NoY, Genius1, atourgates and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:30 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by dave31
Well that's it, goodbye Qatar Airways. I have flown Qatar airways several times over the years and rate their business class as one of the best in the skies. Thoroughly enjoyed their Heathrow lounge and to a lesser extent Al Mourjan (because I am always tired when I arrive in transit). I have just had a quick look at the price differentials in the newly introduced Business class structure and there is no way that I will pay the extra being asked for prior seat selection or lounge access. Quite simply I will now look at other airlines rather than always tending to fly with Qatar. Perhaps I should add that as a pensioner, I no longer have any corporation footing the bill, hence the need to secure value for money, and their so called 'enhancement' will have cost them a customer. I doubt if this will bother them much!
You and many others, including myself. The difference in prices are so crazy just for the ability to select your own seat and enter the lounge that it makes no sense to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.