Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR unbundles business class with new R fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2020, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
Please check the table below to see if you are impacted by the new changes.

NEW FARE FAMILIES (AND ITS ATTRIBUTES) ONLY APPLY TO TICKETS ISSUED ON QR 157 STOCK.

For FAQs related to the new fare families, visit https://www.qatarairways.com/tradepa...eFamilies.html.

Print Wikipost

QR unbundles business class with new R fares

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I wonder if this will impact seat selection and lounge access on award tickets form other carriers.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I wonder if this will impact seat selection and lounge access on award tickets form other carriers.
R fare bucket is a revenue fare class.
Award tickets are mapped to U fare class.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 9:58 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
R fare bucket is a revenue fare class.
Award tickets are mapped to U fare class.
I understand. I am curious if the restrictions will filter over to the award fare class as it is effectively a lower revenue fare.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 10:39 am

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
QR R class is the only J class that is unable to select seats until check in. Emeralds and sapphires can continue to select seats, free of charge.

However, in Y, W/T/O/N/Q classes are now also paid seating. X class (Y awards) is also now paid seating. S class and up retains free of charge seating, but the first few rows are now blocked as preferred seating. Emeralds and sapphires can continue to select seats, free of charge.
flyertalker28120 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Always great to see when Qatar Airways enhances the service!
Earlier this summer, I loved how the Q-Credits were enhanced by lasting longer but not being able to use them, even on flights that were not full!
I can't wait to see what other enhancements they will think of to share with the customer base.
Good times!
NoY, hugolover and mpkz like this.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 11:02 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

With this change, unless they have again fares (like 3 years ago) for Biz, I will most probably now take other options for better timings and a real long haul flight where I can sleep instead of the middle of the night break.
I guess we will see how long this will last before they notice business dwindling ..(I wonder how EK is doing since they introduced such fares earlier).

Cheers!
NoY likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
The 'select my seat' option seems to have disappeared on my current booking...I hope this doesn't mean that the new rules apply to prior bookings too!
Old Nov 9, 2020, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by mpnakh
The 'select my seat' option seems to have disappeared on my current booking...I hope this doesn't mean that the new rules apply to prior bookings too!
same in my booking for may 2021, the selected seats are still visible in the booking

I m also fearing I won’t be able to enter lounges
Old Nov 9, 2020, 11:52 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
A contrary opinion - This is a really smart move from QR.

QR, like all airlines, need to increase revenue during these covid ravaged times. How can they do that quickly and easily?

Unbundled fares are not new. EK for example, have been doing it for years, and it goes without saying that QR have now followed suit.

With the ability to pay for Lounge Access separately, one really shouldn't be surprised at the newly amended R Class fare bucket. If you want to use the Al Mourjan, you can but for a fee - alleviating some of the high occupancy levels in the lounge that many posters here have complained about for years.

But why do I think this is smart? Well, if the R class fares are priced sensibly, they will encourage Y pax to fly J, and upselling is big business; it's important to note that most flyers favour comfort onboard over anything else, so the loss of the Al Mourjan is not so important - especially as status pax will still have lounge access. This new bucket is designed to target Y opposed to J.

As someone who averages far too much time on planes, I would much rather arrive at the airport 45mins before, go through security and board immediately, than spend 2 hours in the lounge just 'because'. I'm in the minority on FT I know, but the majority of general flyers would rather onboard legroom than a nicer waiting room.

QRPC members will see fewer loyalty perks for flying R class fares, but my understanding is that it won't affect BAEC for now.

Seat selection will still be available at a cost, but it may be a few weeks before that is rolled out on the website.

Does this mean bundled J fares will go up? Not necessarily, but expect the majority of upcoming sale fares to be in R Class.

M
FLYGVA, florin and dragman like this.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
...most flyers favour comfort onboard over anything else
QR should also charge extra for checked luggage and especially hand luggage. Plus, check-in at economy counters unless you pay a fee.
hugolover likes this.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Nov 9, 2020 at 12:17 pm
Old Nov 9, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: EXPLT
With regards to no lounge access, I agree with MSM2000K. I too usually arrive to the airport as late as I can, so at outstations, or shorter layovers at DOH, no problem missing out. 7 hours/plus DOH layover, that’s another story.

I’ll miss amazing CDG lounge.

Notwithstanding that, lounge is very important to most. Biz class is biz class, regardless of fare bucket IMO. Now ‘basic’ biz class?

With regards to what was relayed that we cannot select seats in advance..that is unacceptable. If QR wants to ensure that onboard service is never compromised, then the ability to select any biz class seat is a must for its customers. Seat selection is a big deal for me. Seat selection applies to onboard service/comfort IMO.

This is a great thread. Thx everyone for sharing thoughts here
Old Nov 9, 2020, 12:47 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Gold, BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Existing R Class Booking

Does anyone know if this applies to existing R class tickets booked prior to the changes?
Old Nov 9, 2020, 12:56 pm

After the updated to Qatar business class classic, now no lounge access and paid seat selection, I will be booking future trips elsewhere.
It is understandable that airlines are looking at every penny, but as Qatar have built a wonderful reputation as one of the best airlines in the world I think its a mistake.
Unfortunately I have been spoilt and enjoyed the whole package of Qatar business class and am not happy giving part of it up.
When I try booking using comfort class (with lounge and seat selection) its almost twice the price of last year, so for my family of 4 people 6000 euros extra compared with Etihad

I was enjoying planing next years holidays and wanted to fly Qatar, especially given the flexibility and generosity they have shown to teachers and medical staff during covid.
I know its a first world problem but it is disappointing when you watch them pushing the boundaries of business class, hopefully as the airlines return to profit Qatar will return to a five star airline
NoY and Baresi like this.

Last edited by blackdog047; Nov 9, 2020 at 12:58 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 9, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by msm2000uk

But why do I think this is smart? Well, if the R class fares are priced sensibly, they will encourage Y pax to fly J, and upselling is big business; it's important to note that most flyers favour comfort onboard over anything else, so the loss of the Al Mourjan is not so important - especially as status pax will still have lounge access. This new bucket is designed to target Y opposed to J.

M
I agree that financially this could definitely be a good thing for all, but I think it only works if there is a a reasonable way to get back to the 'old' R class, i.e. the new R fares maybe slightly lower and then be able to select the options to bring it back in line (I do hope that they have a cheaper option for R fares to get lounge access than the economy pricing).

With regards to my current booking, I would expect that Qatar provide the service that I initially paid for and hope that the seat selection being removed is just something they have still got to figure the technicalities of. If they don't honor the original services, then I'm thinking that a voucher with 10% additional value put towards the same booking would leave me with extra to purchase the lounge access and seat selection.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 1:45 pm

10% extra voucher will in no way cover the fare different from R to I/D fares. They're usually much higher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.