Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR unbundles business class with new R fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2020, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
Please check the table below to see if you are impacted by the new changes.

NEW FARE FAMILIES (AND ITS ATTRIBUTES) ONLY APPLY TO TICKETS ISSUED ON QR 157 STOCK.

For FAQs related to the new fare families, visit https://www.qatarairways.com/tradepa...eFamilies.html.

Print Wikipost

QR unbundles business class with new R fares

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I find it odd that QR are still allowing non-QR oneworld F/J passengers into Al Safwa/Al Mourjan and the LHR/CDG/SIN/BKK/BEY lounges, if they don't allow many of their own J passengers in. I would expect this to change!

I can see paid-for access being introduced for QR Business Classic passengers to the LHR/CDG/SIN/BKK/BEY lounges at the very least - in the same way that Al Safwa and Al Mourjan can be paid into.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:34 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
To upgrade to QR Comfort-Business (a bizarre concept in itself!), would set me back an additional EUR1600 , and pput the QR service on par with TK's. They stand as much chance of pocketing that upsell from passengers as they do persuading Y folk to upgrade to business-lite.
The thing is, once we have moved past this pandemic (whenever that may be), the amount of airlines back flying and seats available in business class will be far greater than now, meaning more options for travelers. I used to use QR for my Europe to Asia/Australia trips, however, I will switch to LH/LX/SQ now, which I have contemplated in the past.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I spotted another error in the table so I refreshed it.
Also, I've added the CX & JL Lounges in BKK, in case they re-open.

FlightDetective, djsflynn and econ like this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
QRPC plat access to AS lounge

Needless to say there seems to be quite a few kinks and variables that need to be worked out, but based on how this new “enhancement” stands currently, if/when QR re-opens Al Safwa, would plats who have an R/I fare get access to AS if they pay the AM upcharge, or would AS be off limits to even plats in R/I. Personally, the only reason why I would try to retain plat status is for AS access, and if that’s not in the cards anymore (I pretty much only fly QR paid R/I fares), there seems to be no reason for me to use QRPC as my OW FFP. Needless to say this point is moot now due to AS being closed, but having a specific answer to this would be valuable for folks like me for future travel planning and where to credit subsequent trips.
meelosh likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I'm going to say this, for a 2nd time, in the hope that people bother reading it.

QR have not yet fully filed the fare prices, so if you are looking more than 30 days in advance, there is a high chance the fares will be changed within the next few days. This is down to IT delays.

M

P.S. Thanks for the table IST_flyer but I think BEY needs to be changed to BKK

Hopefully the fares for 30 days+ will change in a downward direction within the next few days for Comfort tickets - or am I being overly optimistic??
Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Genius1
I find it odd that QR are still allowing non-QR oneworld F/J passengers into Al Safwa/Al Mourjan and the LHR/CDG/SIN/BKK/BEY lounges, if they don't allow many of their own J passengers in. I would expect this to change!
Maybe, but QR have also been quite comfortable denying access to their frequent fliers flying QR who have paid to upgrade / used Qmiles / used Qcredits, so I would assume they may be fine with this on the same basis.

Originally Posted by Genius1
I can see paid-for access being introduced for QR Business Classic passengers to the LHR/CDG/SIN/BKK/BEY lounges at the very least - in the same way that Al Safwa and Al Mourjan can be paid into.
I've always assumed this was just a matter or time. Given the entire system is basically just copying EK who allow paid access to their outstation lounges, I assume it will be coming when these lounges reopen.
Genius1 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by fender5787
Needless to say there seems to be quite a few kinks and variables that need to be worked out, but based on how this new “enhancement” stands currently, if/when QR re-opens Al Safwa, would plats who have an R/I fare get access to AS if they pay the AM upcharge, or would AS be off limits to even plats in R/I. Personally, the only reason why I would try to retain plat status is for AS access, and if that’s not in the cards anymore (I pretty much only fly QR paid R/I fares), there seems to be no reason for me to use QRPC as my OW FFP. Needless to say this point is moot now due to AS being closed, but having a specific answer to this would be valuable for folks like me for future travel planning and where to credit subsequent trips.
This is really an interesting point.
Probably, nobody would know the answer for this until QR announces that they would re-open the Al Safwa Lounge.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 11:08 am

If there are two people on the same restricted business class reservation, but only one of them has OneWorld status which allows seat-selection/lounge-access - has Qatar clarified if both will be able to select seats and/or enter lounge?
Old Nov 10, 2020, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Corrected version of the table
Nice job! Thank you. Hopefully, lounge dragons will have the same level of understanding of the new rules, once they're actually published.

I just have one suggestion re the table: there are two instances where a non-status pax has access to lounges (BA Galleries @LHR, and OW lounges managed by other airlines), and this is followed by a "No" for QRPC Silv and OW Ruby. While technically that is the truth, I though the point of the entire table is for R and I ticket holders to see what they would be entitled to... so, those Rubys and Silvers would be holding an R or I ticket and would actually be eliglible to enter, despite holding this status (and not being able to enter on a Y ticket)... I understand this is not due to status, but this way, it seems that holding a Silver/Ruby AND R/I ticket means you don't get in, while having the ticket only allows you into the lounge...

Also, despite being QR Plat, I am price sensitive in terms that I wouldn't be willing to fork out an extra 1,000 euros to have lounge access (and I don't think anyone is, for that matter, if they are paying out of their pockets) - once the pandemic is over, I would highly prefer the $25 5* hotel for 24 hours in DOH (or $100 if Visit Qatar doesn't make a comeback). I can't really see who in the world would benefit from these changes, including QR, unless R fares become significantly cheaper, and I'm not holding my breath for that. They were cheaper than the other carriers' J fares to begin with, and that is perhaps the main reason I chose to fly QR J on my own (and not company) money. Like someone said, marginal cost of another pax in AM is insignificant, and surely just one paying J pax going to another carrier because of this will offset their savings in tens or even hunderds pax not using the lounge.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I'm going to say this, for a 2nd time, in the hope that people bother reading it.

QR have not yet fully filed the fare prices, so if you are looking more than 30 days in advance, there is a high chance the fares will be changed within the next few days. This is down to IT delays.
I remain puzzled about any possible way they could align the business-lite and business-comfort fares to increase revenue. So I'm looking forward to learning how they intend to get out of this mess, how they manage to pull a rabbit out of this hat.

Currently a May/June R-class ticket AMS-DPS is selling for around EUR1600; the cheapest comfort-class fare is closer to EUR3000.
QR has a limited number of direct-sale price points: but the view of the airline's revenue management is these fares, and their respective conditions, will optimise network revenue.

Now, they could play fair to their marketing-speak and reduce the R-fare by a couple of hundred euro. Some Y passengers just might upgrade to the new fare, but that positive would be wiped out if only a single passenger opted to benefit from the new low fare rather than pay EUR3000. There'd be a vanishingly small chance of anyone upgrading from -lite to -comfort. True, there'd be some passengers paying the odd hundred euro or so for lounges, and there'd be a miniscule saving in incremental lounge costs.

The vaguely common sense approach would be to introduce a new R-lite fare-class, while retaining the current R fare and its service-related conditions. This would be similar to the approach other, more successful airlines have taken when introducing economy-lite fares. Passengers could then see the basic R fare with the stripped back R-lite fare , and make an informed decision.

Sadly, transparency isn't a feature of QR marketing.

========

There's nothing wrong with QR's IT. What is wrong is promulgating new fare conditions before the associated fare structure is decided and loaded.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
I spotted another error in the table so I refreshed it.
Also, I've added the CX & JL Lounges in BKK, in case they re-open.
Thanks! Any reason why some OW lounges are called out specifically in the LHR/CDG/BEY/BKK/SIN section (e.g. BA lounges at LHR, JL/CX lounges at BKK), but not others (BA/QF lounges at SIN, for example)
Old Nov 10, 2020, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

One more data point: QR has confirmed to us that reward bookings "will receive the Business Classic product attributes" but "we will offer complimentary advance seat selection and lounge access in accordance to QR elite benefits and OneWorld elite benefits."
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 12:16 pm

Just found this thread, not sure if this has been answered before, my question is what happens to the flights booked before these changes. A few weeks ago I booked a R class ticket for next June, will I have all the benefits offered at the time of booking? If yes how are they going to distinguish them in next June?
Old Nov 10, 2020, 12:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
good luck, that worked so well on AS access last time
QR mentioned that free seat selection and lounge access would still be honored on tickets issued before 8 November.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 12:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Smid
What about people sitting on travel vouchers for the last six months, waiting for airports to open to actually book something likely to fly?

Nah, we're stuffed with an unrefundable set of vouchers with the product now changed under our feet.
I believe, even the Vouchers can be cxled and refunded (minus the 10%) anybody ever tried?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.