Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
'Extending Our Commitment' policy has ended as of Oct 1st 2022.
Please see 'Schedule Change' policy below.

Web Version PDF Version

Important: Read the disclaimers and changes below before reading the policy.

Disclaimers:
  • The version of the policy at the time of change applies.*
  • This document was made for viewing by travel agents, not passengers.
  • You must call in to make the changes to your ticket since fees are waived manually.
  • This policy is in addition to the fare rules of your ticket.
  • Conditions of Carriage still apply.
  • It is expected that there will be more changes to the policy in the future and Qatar Airways can amend the policy without prior notice.
*You are welcome to pursue legal action with QR and prove this wrong. We are merely warning you what will happen when you call in and perform a change.
ALL TIMES/DATES IN DOHA TIME (GMT+3)

Wiki maintained by realgaga
Print Wikipost

Covid-19: Book with Confidence QR Policy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2020, 2:08 pm

Has anybody been able to rebook outside of BKK recently? I know a lot of us were pushed to BKK, but it looks like that is not going to be a viable option...just curious if anybody was able to book some other places that were not originally allowed (HKT, HAN, etc) due to their weird mileage calculation.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 7:14 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, DL Silver, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic, QR, EY, KE, CX, PR
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
Top of this forum there is a wiki with a link.

https://www.qatarairways.com/content...1.7.6%20v2.pdf
Thank you. Here's the response I got even though I cannot enter Doha due to travel restriction imposed by the government of Qatar.

"As your flight still confirmed, if you wish to refund the ticket, the cancellation fee of USD 245 will apply. Alternatively, you may contact us back one week before the departure time (to assist you based on the status of the flight/ entry restrictions), or we may exchange your ticket into non-transferable travel voucher with an additional 10% value (excluding taxes) valid for 2 years. Thank you."

They are charging the refund fee.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by SpeedAdvantage
Thank you. Here's the response I got even though I cannot enter Doha due to travel restriction imposed by the government of Qatar.

"As your flight still confirmed, if you wish to refund the ticket, the cancellation fee of USD 245 will apply. Alternatively, you may contact us back one week before the departure time (to assist you based on the status of the flight/ entry restrictions), or we may exchange your ticket into non-transferable travel voucher with an additional 10% value (excluding taxes) valid for 2 years. Thank you."

I read it as saying that they don't consider an entry restriction more than a week before the flight to be grounds for treating as per an involuntary. I'm surprised they'd cut it so close, I'd expect four weeks to suffice, and likely if you called you'd get a different answer, depending on the agent.

How far away is your flight?
Old Aug 16, 2020, 9:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by anabolism
I read it as saying that they don't consider an entry restriction more than a week before the flight to be grounds for treating as per an involuntary. I'm surprised they'd cut it so close, I'd expect four weeks to suffice, and likely if you called you'd get a different answer, depending on the agent.

I even called and tried to play “what if” with the agent who was actually pretty nice all things considered. I called in July and asked “what if my flight was tomorrow, could I rebook to HKT or PNH?” I think the BKK flights weren’t going until August, so she couldn’t play that hypothetical. But she did say since those destinations were outside the 5,000 mile limit I couldn’t go there anyway. If there was a chance I’d have to wait and see if my flight were to actually get cancelled.

For some reason I feel like Thailand will eventually open later this year. Why not just test people upon arrival, or figure out some kind of system? I know they’ll do something because that country is so tourist dependent. So my hunch is we’ll be going in winter time.

Also the above answer about $245 Fee if that’s from Twitter that just means keep calling...
Old Aug 16, 2020, 10:03 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, DL Silver, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic, QR, EY, KE, CX, PR
Originally Posted by anabolism

Agree that 1 week is cutting it close. Flight is on Sept 8. I actually called twice already and both tried to charge me with the refund fee.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
I even called and tried to play “what if” with the agent who was actually pretty nice all things considered. I called in July and asked “what if my flight was tomorrow, could I rebook to HKT or PNH?” I think the BKK flights weren’t going until August, so she couldn’t play that hypothetical. But she did say since those destinations were outside the 5,000 mile limit I couldn’t go there anyway. If there was a chance I’d have to wait and see if my flight were to actually get cancelled.

For some reason I feel like Thailand will eventually open later this year. Why not just test people upon arrival, or figure out some kind of system? I know they’ll do something because that country is so tourist dependent. So my hunch is we’ll be going in winter time.

Also the above answer about $245 Fee if that’s from Twitter that just means keep calling...
Yes it's from Twitter. I got the same answer in calling twice. Initially thought travel ban/entry restriction is qualified for a refund.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 1:13 am

As others have said, you may get a different response from a different agent.

However, given that most countries over the last 6 months, the US included, have often been giving less than 72 hours notice of border restrictions being implemented / lifted, waiting until a week in advance to be clearer on which restrictions are in place at the date of travel doesn't seem particularly unreasonable.

I appreciate that may be short notice for some, but that's what the reschedule and voucher options are for. If you have decided you are not going to travel, then you can try calling again now and see how your luck is, or just sit tight until a week before. Be aware though that there is always an outside chance that the border "could" reopen by your travel date, at which point a refund would still be subject to the cancellation fee.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

The official line promulgated through IATA is Thailand will open at the end of this month. I'm guessing that QR would accept travel to Thailand is impossible for you this month, but it would be silly of them to take the official line that passengers will not be able to enter from 01 September. And that means HKT too, it's also in Thailand.

In fact, back-door sources suggest there will be no opening to mass tourism until well into 2021. It makes sense: Thailand has had a pretty good war and the source of recent outbreaks have largely been identified as arrivals from the outside world. Indonesia has overruled Bali's attempt to open in September, with end of the year the next date in sight. Lao had September pencilled in, as did Burma: Vietnam and Cambodia are essentially closed until further notice,

It looks like that is the way the region is going: "ask again in 2021". And my guess is they'll promote domestic tourism heavily before opening to regional tourism, then slowly expand into the wider market. Unless things change, visitors from the US, Brasil and India are unlikely to be top of the guest list.

It seems the situation calls for zen-like patience in your situation. Certainly stop clogging up the reservation lines. I think I'd simply cash in the ticket at the earliest opportunity - nothing lost, nothing gained.

PS I understand the Elite Visa will get you into Thailand. But at $15,000 for he minimum term of 5 years, it's not a practicable solution. A business visa might work, too, but it's a nightmare to sort out. Education visas are easier (to learn thai language), but i have no idea if they trump COVID restrictions.
poromenos and DiamondMile like this.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Aug 17, 2020 at 4:13 am Reason: ADDING EXTRA VISA INFORMATION
Old Aug 17, 2020, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
As others have said, you may get a different response from a different agent.

However, given that most countries over the last 6 months, the US included, have often been giving less than 72 hours notice of border restrictions being implemented / lifted, waiting until a week in advance to be clearer on which restrictions are in place at the date of travel doesn't seem particularly unreasonable.

I appreciate that may be short notice for some, but that's what the reschedule and voucher options are for. If you have decided you are not going to travel, then you can try calling again now and see how your luck is, or just sit tight until a week before. Be aware though that there is always an outside chance that the border "could" reopen by your travel date, at which point a refund would still be subject to the cancellation fee.
I understand your point and they make sense as well. Just that I also need to apply for visa, have it stamped in my passport and get a PCR test in 1 week. I know the stamping of visa is something new for all here but its a requirement from where I'm coming from. For other countries, the qatar visa notice in mobile phone or print would do the trick.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 6:28 am

I understand your point and they make sense as well. Just that I also need to apply for visa, have it stamped in my passport and get a PCR test in 1 week. I know the stamping of visa is something new for all here but its a requirement from where I'm coming from. For other countries, the qatar visa notice in mobile phone or print would do the trick.
In your case then your best first step might be to contact the local Qatari Embassy or whomever issues the visa. If they say you can't have one for when you want to travel then you have an involuntary reason not to travel. See if they will confirm that either way in writing (email etc). If they will issue it then it looks like you can go ahead with the PCR and pack your bags.

Good luck with that!
Old Aug 17, 2020, 7:31 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Plat
I'm assuming this works with one-way tickets as well? Right now, I'm planning a trip to MLE in December (one-way with cash and one-way with award miles). I see a ticket in V (Eco Value) from JFK to SIN for like $560. Assuming that in 14 days there is availability in V for LAX-MLE, I can make this change for no fee? And I can also play with the dates a bit too (as long as departure before 12/31)? Been trying to find a good deal one-ways in J, but couldn't find anything so Y will do for now. Thanks.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 12:11 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Given the current state of things, hotels last minute should still be cheap even if QR is giving week notices. Something tells me they will extend this policy for travel to next year. I’m not really sure why they wouldn’t?

My flight to Thailand isn’t until November, and I have a feeling by then they will be allowing tourists in with a COVID plan upon arrival that makes sense. Thailand is an economy highly dependent on tourism (especially US Dollars).
Old Aug 18, 2020, 2:23 am

A bit off topic, but these days Thailand is 10 times more reliant on RMB than it is on USD, based on number of tourist visitors per year:

Talking to my friends in Thailand yesterday (who run incoming tourism businesses), the closed border is hurting hard and costing the government a lot in benefits. But they also see no concrete plans yet to reopen, and certainly not for general travel-as-you-like tourism for any nationality. Add in the simmering political unrest.

I'd love to get there this year but am not expecting to be able to. Three months seems like a long time, but that's what we thought in March and here we are almost six months later...

I agree that some development of the current rebooking policy should probably be expected past September. But I also suspect this may apply stricter criteria to certain aspects. QR must be hurting as well.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Given the current state of things, hotels last minute should still be cheap even if QR is giving week notices. Something tells me they will extend this policy for travel to next year. I’m not really sure why they wouldn’t?

My flight to Thailand isn’t until November, and I have a feeling by then they will be allowing tourists in with a COVID plan upon arrival that makes sense. Thailand is an economy highly dependent on tourism (especially US Dollars).

Note that many carriers are saying that when they are operating flights, and passengers can't get visas, the underlying cancellation rules apply: some might allow you to change with an upsell to the future fare, the more generous offer you a voucher to the value of the ticket.

On those terms, QR's scheme has been insanely generous, but there's absolutely no guarantee they'll extend it; especially if there's been more opportunistic hussle and hassle than they expected, or want, to deal with.

It's difficult to assess the combination of Thailand entry risks and QR policy risks. But even if the worst comes to the worst, I reckon QR would at least go down a variation of the voucher route. Still, I'd grab any opportunity to salvage the cash before the end of the year. Giving up on the chance of a cheap ticket to Asia doesn't even register on the scale of COVID tragedies.

=================

It's unwise to bank on the power of US leisure tourism to force open Thailand's gates. These days regional tourists are way, way, way more important than visitors from the US in terms of numbers and spend: they might not tip like Americans, but they carry plenty convertible cash . Even European visitors eclipse US tourists.

Regular visitors, and essential business travellers from the US (and elsewhere) will already have found their way in with residence, business, and Elite visas.

As for cheap hotels, that's certainly true for "saycationers", Thais and perhaps residents, but there's an element of dual pricing going on where foreign visitors pay handsomely for their privilege.

=================

Here's a bit of hope for you! It suggests the possibility that Phuket (at least) might open up to international visitors in October, though under quarantine restrictions.

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/p...d-tourism-plan

Last edited by IAN-UK; Aug 18, 2020 at 4:39 am Reason: adding the <bit of hope> bit
Old Aug 18, 2020, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, KrisFlyer Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Chase Private Client
Made the mistake of waiting 3 months to initiate my first change but it was still a very straightforward process. Originally booked JFK - KBP 10/25 - 11/08 on 5/15. Called yesterday and asked for LAX - ZNZ, 10/30 - 11/14. Agent put me on hold for a few minutes then confirmed the new flights.

Note: I am unable to find any R inventory beyond 11/14, DOH - LAX, so that's the latest return I could obtain. Downside of ZNZ change are two ~8 hour layovers at DOH and I would assume the free transit hotels won't be an option for U.S. passports, even in November. That said, if Tanzania remains open I'll gladly deal with the painful layovers to take this journey.

Last edited by jaytmoore; Aug 18, 2020 at 11:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.