Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
'Extending Our Commitment' policy has ended as of Oct 1st 2022.
Please see 'Schedule Change' policy below.

Web Version PDF Version

Important: Read the disclaimers and changes below before reading the policy.

Disclaimers:
  • The version of the policy at the time of change applies.*
  • This document was made for viewing by travel agents, not passengers.
  • You must call in to make the changes to your ticket since fees are waived manually.
  • This policy is in addition to the fare rules of your ticket.
  • Conditions of Carriage still apply.
  • It is expected that there will be more changes to the policy in the future and Qatar Airways can amend the policy without prior notice.
*You are welcome to pursue legal action with QR and prove this wrong. We are merely warning you what will happen when you call in and perform a change.
ALL TIMES/DATES IN DOHA TIME (GMT+3)

Wiki maintained by realgaga
Print Wikipost

Covid-19: Book with Confidence QR Policy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2021, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
this is a QR insider contact?
yeah, that is my impression after googling with the id.
It seems that the Qatar refund department is separate from others, and most customer service can only send emails to them, but cannot do anything beyond that or provide any information about delay in refund
Old Sep 1, 2021, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
No more option for voucher +10%

Originally Posted by Thomas_B
Version 5.0 September 1st is now online:
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...v5.0-Trade.pdf
https://www.qatarairways.com/tradepo...ommitment.html

It still says travel has to be completed by 31 May 2022
The option to exchange for a voucher + 10% has been removed.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 2:49 pm

When does fare difference apply

I've read through the new guidelines (including the agency version) and I don't see guidance for when a fare difference applies. Is it that voluntary changes are subject to fare difference while involuntary are not (where involuntary includes schedule changes and cancellations)? Is it still the case that a country's entry prohibition or quarantine requirements qualify for an involuntary change?
Old Sep 1, 2021, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
  • For fully unutilized tickets:
  • 1- May use unutilized value within 2 years from original ticket issue date
  • 2- Please ensure that the maximum stay does not exceed more than 1 year and all travel is completed by 31 May 2022

Does this make any sense as guidance issued in September 2021 ?
Old Sep 1, 2021, 8:15 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by anabolism
I've read through the new guidelines (including the agency version) and I don't see guidance for when a fare difference applies. Is it that voluntary changes are subject to fare difference while involuntary are not (where involuntary includes schedule changes and cancellations)? Is it still the case that a country's entry prohibition or quarantine requirements qualify for an involuntary change?
Cancellations, major schedule changes, MCT violations are involuntary changes.
It is the passenger's responsibility to ensure that they comply with the entry requirements of the destination.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 8:19 pm

The option to exchange for a voucher + 10% has been removed.
It was removed since V4.0 but is still available if you call in.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 5:02 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
  • For fully unutilized tickets:
  • 1- May use unutilized value within 2 years from original ticket issue date
  • 2- Please ensure that the maximum stay does not exceed more than 1 year and all travel is completed by 31 May 2022
Does this make any sense as guidance issued in September 2021 ?
IMO, no.

Given that COVID has been impacting flight plans in a major way since early 2020 there are a lot of tickets issued late 2019 that are still active.

In my case, I'm holding PHL-DOH-SYD in Biz class (R) that was originally issued in November 2019 as a trip to Thailand for early 2020. In Feb 2020 I changed it to Australia for November 2020 (I paid a substantial change fee to do it...). Then in November 2020 I changed the trip to October 2021. I still hope to take take the trip someday and I can wait. I'd like to change the trip to October 2022, but apparently QR is going to force themselves to give me my money back by November 2021

Last edited by PHLGovFlyer; Sep 2, 2021 at 12:04 pm Reason: Corrected date.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
IMO, no.

Given that COVID has been impacting flight plans in a major way since early 2020 there are a lot of tickets issued late 2019 that are still active.

In my case, I'm holding PHL-DOH-SYD in Biz class (R) that was originally issued in November 2019 as a trip to Thailand for early 2021. In Feb 2020 I changed it to Australia for November 2020 (I paid a substantial change fee to do it...). Then in November 2020 I changed the trip to October 2021. I still hope to take take the trip someday and I can wait. I'd like to change the trip to October 2022, but apparently QR is going to force themselves to give me my money back by November 2021
Yes, thanks for pointing that out. I was focussed on the "book with confidence" angle as an inducement for current ticket sales.

I'm in much the same position as you are, with a Lufthansa ticket bought way back in 2019 for 2020 travel to Argentina. Lufthansa, to their credit, have constantly updated and improved the rules regarding re-booking and validity.

I hope QR are doing the same with your ticket: unilateral changes which favour the passenger and do not remove or dilute benefits are fine, but they might be in trouble if they start limiting guarantees offered at the time of purchase or those introduced subsequently to induce passengers to hold on to tickets.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by realgaga
It is the passenger's responsibility to ensure that they comply with the entry requirements of the destination.
Are you saying that QR has never considered entry restrictions (entry bans or quarantines) to be grounds for an involuntary change? Because this was at one point explicitly part of their Book with Confidence policy. That's why I asked if it was no longer the case. Your reply suggests you're saying it never was the case.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 11:00 am

It was removed since V4.0 but is still available if you call in.
That's excellent, thanks.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 9:40 pm

Are you saying that QR has never considered entry restrictions (entry bans or quarantines) to be grounds for an involuntary change? Because this was at one point explicitly part of their Book with Confidence policy. That's why I asked if it was no longer the case. Your reply suggests you're saying it never was the case.
It was a courtesy from QR in the early days of the TwC policy, but it was removed ages ago.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 9:55 pm

Cancellations, major schedule changes, MCT violations are involuntary changes.
It was a courtesy from QR in the early days of the TwC policy, but it was removed ages ago.
An aspect of the pandemic is that countries change their policies frequently and sometimes at short notice. Someone might buy a ticket for a country that may allow them to enter at the time of purchase but not at the time of travel, or vice versa.

It's nice that QR allows for a refund or (as you say is still done on request) a voucher plus 10%, as that provides a fail-safe if travel isn't possible as booked. Being able to change dates without a fare difference would have been even nicer (and ensured that QR would have kept the money).
Old Sep 2, 2021, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Being able to change dates without a fare difference would have been even nicer (and ensured that QR would have kept the money).
The problem with this is that there would be many people abusing this and booking cheaper dates and routes and changing it to more expensive ones which would be a loss for QR.
QR was one of the rare airlines that allowed this in the first stages of the pandemic but after many people trying to benefit from the policy ( eg. purchasing PHL-DOH-KBP tickets and converting it to LAX-DOH-MLE, etc... ) they stopped that.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 10:02 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
I wouldn't call the inclusion of involuntary impacts such as changes to entry restrictions or quarantines into involuntary changes as a courtesy. Rather, just simply the incorporation of things involuntary.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Obviously, when QR introduced a very/too generous rebooking policy and people took advantage of that so save money (I call it abuse) QR had no option than to close that loophole again. The policy was too good to be true IMO:
Traveller999 and ISTFlyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.