Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
'Extending Our Commitment' policy has ended as of Oct 1st 2022.
Please see 'Schedule Change' policy below.

Web Version PDF Version

Important: Read the disclaimers and changes below before reading the policy.

Disclaimers:
  • The version of the policy at the time of change applies.*
  • This document was made for viewing by travel agents, not passengers.
  • You must call in to make the changes to your ticket since fees are waived manually.
  • This policy is in addition to the fare rules of your ticket.
  • Conditions of Carriage still apply.
  • It is expected that there will be more changes to the policy in the future and Qatar Airways can amend the policy without prior notice.
*You are welcome to pursue legal action with QR and prove this wrong. We are merely warning you what will happen when you call in and perform a change.
ALL TIMES/DATES IN DOHA TIME (GMT+3)

Wiki maintained by realgaga
Print Wikipost

Covid-19: Book with Confidence QR Policy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2020, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by realgaga
It counts as an schedule change, which is under 'involuntary changes'.
Therefore, you have 4 options as below
Excellent thank you, I am due to fly to SYD on 03/01/21 and as it stands now, QR is only flying 1 plane a day to Sydney and will have to change me to another flight 11.5hrs later in the day, I am guessing Australia's borders will not be open by Jan, and with no policy update from QR on how they will be dealing with things next year, I was getting worried that I wont be able to change my ticket, or get a refund.

Thanks again
Old Sep 19, 2020, 3:04 am

Programs: OWE, *G
Would I be able to cancel my trip and get a voucher for a ticket with outbound in Dec 2020 and inbound in Jan 2021?
Old Sep 19, 2020, 6:50 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by barboyz
Excellent thank you, I am due to fly to SYD on 03/01/21 and as it stands now, QR is only flying 1 plane a day to Sydney and will have to change me to another flight 11.5hrs later in the day, I am guessing Australia's borders will not be open by Jan, and with no policy update from QR on how they will be dealing with things next year, I was getting worried that I wont be able to change my ticket, or get a refund.

Thanks again
If your outbound flight in for next year, I'm afraid you can't do anything at the moment. The 4 options are under the 'Travel with Confidence' policy which is currently only offered for flights until the end of 2020.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 7:03 am

Now that thailand is going to let tourists in but only if they stay more than 14 days, what does that means for us folks who have tickets but can't stay long term? I imagine QR will no long offer a refund since the travel restriction is technically lifted for Americans as well once this long term tourist program goes into effect.

What's you guys thoughts/anyone asking for a refund on their BKK ticket?
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by 10000Ants
Now that thailand is going to let tourists in but only if they stay more than 14 days, what does that means for us folks who have tickets but can't stay long term? I imagine QR will no long offer a refund since the travel restriction is technically lifted for Americans as well once this long term tourist program goes into effect.

Where did you see that? I could only see 14 day quarantine with minimum 90 day stay for tourists?
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Here is what I can find on my international travel support/insurance site (International SOS). It looks like it will become effective on 1 October. Sound pretty draconian to me.

Thailand plans to reopen borders in October, allowing foreigners to stay in the country for 90 days, extendable up to 270 days under a special tourist visa scheme (STV). This visa will only be issued to people willing to undergo a 14 day quarantine, have proof of long-term plans, financial capability to pay for accommodation, COVID-19 free certificate and sufficient travel/health insurance. Those interested will need to apply with the Department of Disease Control (DDC) in Thailand. More details can be expecting in the coming weeks. (Starts 1 October 2020)

Tourists will be able visit Phuket, provided that they stay for at least 30 days and quarantine in their hotel for the first 14 days. The travellers will need to test negative on two PCR tests before they can leave the hotel property. They must test negative on three PCR tests before they can leave Phuket and visit other parts of Thailand. (Starts 1 October 2020)
Old Sep 20, 2020, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
What I want to know is if after flying the outbound sector, what fare rules apply. Would they let you change the inbound into 2021 now with no fare difference now that you've flown the outbound? In theory this should be true but the only way to know for sure is by calling to ask. The policy is not clear in this regard.
The policy seems clear to me: it only applies to bookings made for flights in 2020, and any change into 2021 would incur a fare difference but no change fee. Why do you say "In theory this should be true?"

Originally Posted by JohnAx
(A few days after my year ended I was told my ticket had no value, go away. I had begun a twitter discussion with them before the ticket expired; Doha c/s wanted to see screen shots of that chain, which I provided along with a polite but strongly worded protest and a request that they be so kind as to confirm that the address I had for Mr al-Baker was correct so that I could inform him of why the change I'd been asking for would save him money. Doha authorized the refund within a day (though it's not been processed a few days later). And reminded me that there was no reason to bother Mr. al-Baker with such matters. Lol.)
How did they calculate the value to be refunded? I'm sorry they didn't agree to extend the ticket validity for another year.

I purchased one of the US-KBP "deals" and modified the destination a back in May. My flight is in 2 weeks, and I can and want to fly the outbound but the inbound will be impossible as I'm not a US citizen. I don't want to lose half the ticket.

Right now, my flight has a cancellation to which I've not accepted the alternative booking. I believe I can request a cash refund now at this point since one of the segments has been cancelled. But if I can fly the outbound, then change the inbound to some point in 2021 afterwards, I would do so.
QR might extend the policy to allow flights in 2021, but if so they might not do it until rather late in the year (just going by how late they used to extend the +Qatar program). It'd be risky, but I suppose you could get a refund on your return leg.

I would expect QR to treat that as an involuntary change, and allow you to get a refund.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
The policy seems clear to me: it only applies to bookings made for flights in 2020, and any change into 2021 would incur a fare difference but no change fee. Why do you say "In theory this should be true?"
QR R fares state this in the fare rules. This is why I say in theory there should be no fare difference after flying the outbound and making a subsequent change. But no one knows for sure how this will be treated without trying it. It's not something that can be determined by looking at the policy.
Code:
2.AFTER DEPARTURE
AFTER UTILIZATION OF THE FIRST COUPON OF THE TKT
NEW FARE WILL BE RECALCULATED USING FARES IN
EFFECT ON THE DATE HISTORICAL FARES WHEN THE
ORIGINAL TICKET WAS ISSUED.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
There's something of a distracting political crisis goig on quite apart from COVID/visa shenanigans.

It would be a polite interpretation to say the visa situation is in a state of flux. Even with a mega-$ Elite visa you'd be confused

You can get a measure of all the confusion and frustration here: https://forum.thaivisa.com/forum/1-t...-work-permits/
Old Sep 21, 2020, 6:26 am

If someone who has a cash booking with QR decides to take QR miles plus 10% as an option instead of a refund when they use those miles to rebook a flight, would they earn tier points on the new flights, as they would have earnt tier points on the original cash booking?
Old Sep 21, 2020, 4:36 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by anabolism
I would expect QR to treat that as an involuntary change, and allow you to get a refund.
I agree 100%. Per the Book with Confidence policy "travel restrictions or travel bans imposed by authorities" are considered involuntary changes. If your inbound and outbound are less than 14 days (or even less than 90 days) apart, you cannot comply with the new regulations, so you cannot travel to Thailand. That should be reason enough for a refund.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 3:03 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold

I came here looking exactly for an answer to this question also. Having to stay for potentially three weeks I think is a deal breaker for me.

Is QR letting us rebook into next year yet? With potentially all these deals people got, the year is shaping up for none of the flights to operate/visa issues/schedule problems/hotel issues etc etc.

My first preference would be to rebook into next year, which it doesnt look like theyve allowed. Why doesnt QR just let us rebook for next year already given the current climate of travel? Either a rebooking of next year, or a complete refund. I will not take a voucher.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:24 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
I came here looking exactly for an answer to this question also. Having to stay for potentially three weeks I think is a deal breaker for me.

Is QR letting us rebook into next year yet? With potentially all these deals people got, the year is shaping up for none of the flights to operate/visa issues/schedule problems/hotel issues etc etc.

My first preference would be to rebook into next year, which it doesnt look like theyve allowed. Why doesnt QR just let us rebook for next year already given the current climate of travel? Either a rebooking of next year, or a complete refund. I will not take a voucher.
I would expect that you do not have to take a voucher. Have you called for a refund?

As I state above, per the Book with Confidence policy "travel restrictions or travel bans imposed by authorities" are considered involuntary changes. If your inbound and outbound are less than 14 days (or even less than 90 days) apart, you cannot comply with the new regulations, so you cannot travel to Thailand. It seems crystal clear that is reason enough for a refund.

If you call for a refund, please let us know the outcome!
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler

I had air tickets to LAX-DOH-BKK-DOH-LAX departing in late November for 1 week trip.
I used Orbitz to book the air tickets, so I just called them to cancel the air tickets and request a full refund due to involuntary change (travel restrictions imposed by authorities)
I also told the Orbitz agent about the "Travel with confidence" policy.
It took a while for the agent to confirm the policy, but she was able to cancel the air tickets and request a full refund.
I am not 100% sure if the refund request went through properly until I actually get the full refund, though...
Old Sep 22, 2020, 4:42 pm

I've followed along with your sad story and am trying to avoid a similar situation.

I purchased one of the US-KBP "deals" and modified the destination a back in May. My flight is in 2 weeks, and I can and want to fly the outbound but the inbound will be impossible as I'm not a US citizen. I don't want to lose half the ticket.

Right now, my flight has a cancellation to which I've not accepted the alternative booking. I believe I can request a cash refund now at this point since one of the segments has been cancelled. But if I can fly the outbound, then change the inbound to some point in 2021 afterwards, I would do so.
I don't know how the fact that they've offered you a viable outbound flight changes their responsibilities but afaik since you've not flown the outbound your ticket will remain valid for two years from the purchase date. Or you can get your money back.

If you fly the outbound your window narrows and you'll have one year from the first flight to use the return. Every related post I've seen affirms that they will reprice the 2021 return, although you can hope they'll change that policy as 2021 approaches, and that the new policy benefits your situation.

I'd be sure to understand what they'll do if you don't fly the outbound as scheduled. I was shocked when they told me that my ticket became valueless after one year despite them having outright canceled my return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.