Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Major QRPC Changes - effective 27 May 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Major QRPC Changes - effective 27 May 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: QRPC-Silver & Star-Alliance
One has to love the way they always (and I mean ALWAYS !) apologise for the delay in responding, often indeed the total failure to make any reply at all to many emails sent to them, yet somehow never enhance our experience of QRPC by actually fixing the delay-problem !

Perhaps they think doing that would not be in the larger interests of members or their loyalty-program ?

Maybe they think we're more-likely to book another paid-ticket, if they keep fobbing-us-off, as they do ?
Traveller999 likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:57 am

Programs: QRPC Silver, BA Silver
traveller999 - I got exactly the same email. Clearly it took them a few days to come up with a load of rubbish qr reply and now it’s a copy / paste to any complaint.

Still interesting they havnt actually published the devaluation anywhere. No communique at all.

separately I did ask in a more relevant thread but it dropped again, does anyone know what the redemption fees (cash) are for using miles with oneworld partner airlines. Just asking as you have request a ticket without knowing cash cost, does anyone have experience with that process?
Old May 30, 2018, 3:16 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Happy Ramadan to you from Qatar Airways, everybody! Enjoy your fasting! No food, no miles during all hours the sun is up!
synd, flyvirgin and GalaxyChris like this.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by theox
traveller999 - I got exactly the same email. Clearly it took them a few days to come up with a load of rubbish qr reply and now it’s a copy / paste to any complaint.

Still interesting they havnt actually published the devaluation anywhere. No communique at all.

separately I did ask in a more relevant thread but it dropped again, does anyone know what the redemption fees (cash) are for using miles with oneworld partner airlines. Just asking as you have request a ticket without knowing cash cost, does anyone have experience with that process?
They charged YQ surcharge and airport taxes on my redemption ticket for then-operating airberlin last year, so I think it would depend on the fare structure each partner airline charges. I'm not sure if the new award booking fee would be applicable for partner redemption. I have requested a couple of partner redemption requests with them a few days ago but have yet to receive their response regarding booking processing and payment.
Old May 30, 2018, 5:24 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Deltahater
Those who were wondering how much they will earn by flying or crediting to other programs, an fellow FTer developed this website. www.wheretocredit.com
Useful website, thanks. I am assuming that columns are for which status you have with the airline? For booking classes R and I, it would seem that BAEC is not particularly attractive if you are QR Plat. Earn 125% with BA or earn 225% with QR. Post devaluation, Avios are worth about double what qmiles are worth, but you will earn roughly half.

If you have top tier status with AA, then it's the way to go. However I would note that if QR is running a 2x promo then crediting to AA or QR might be roughly a wash. And for 3x or 4x promos, then crediting to QR remains a valid option if by then you have not let your platinum status expire on QR.
Old May 30, 2018, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by escape4
Useful website, thanks. I am assuming that columns are for which status you have with the airline? For booking classes R and I, it would seem that BAEC is not particularly attractive if you are QR Plat. Earn 125% with BA or earn 225% with QR. Post devaluation, Avios are worth about double what qmiles are worth, but you will earn roughly half.

If you have top tier status with AA, then it's the way to go. However I would note that if QR is running a 2x promo then crediting to AA or QR might be roughly a wash. And for 3x or 4x promos, then crediting to QR remains a valid option if by then you have not let your platinum status expire on QR.
Well, you are looking at the case of how much a top tier member would earn on his home turf vs. a foreign program with no tier bonus on that airline. And you only took miles into consideration, not status points, award availability, flexibility, expiration policy, reliability or cost for short haul awards, all aspects where BAEC is clearly superior. And the mileage aspect shifts a lot in BAEC's favour as soon as you mix in some flights on other carriers (other than AA who mysteriously still retain the QRPC tier multiplier bonus).
But of course it's impossible to give a one size fits all kind of answer as the flyer's flights/airline profile matters a lot. Personally, I greatly dislike the idea of continuing to credit to QRPC since my mileage balance is literally at AAB's mercy, and we all know what that means. Spending miles as soon as I earn them simply doesn't work for me, especially with QRPC's horrible award availability.
AA can defintely be an alternative to BAEC, I think they are usually better for earning/spending miles but worse for getting status. Ironically BAEC can be a better choice when based in the US as AA status doesn't grant lounge access for domestic flights, though AA status is much better for upgrades on AA flights.
beepee likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Let’s be honest. We all know that the x2 x3 x4 x5 QMiles bonuses are a con job. They are used simply as an immediate call to action for a quick ticket sale...knowing full well that they will just further devalue the QMiles when it suits them to do so.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: FLYINGBLUE Gold QRPC Gold OMAN SINDBAD Gold
Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
Let’s be honest. We all know that the x2 x3 x4 x5 QMiles bonuses are a con job. They are used simply as an immediate call to action for a quick ticket sale...knowing full well that they will just further devalue the QMiles when it suits them to do so.
Fully agree the bonuses where to good to be true, but the extend and the way qr handled the Qmiles devaluation is just not right.
SullyofDoha likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: Qatar Platinum, One World Emerald, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by makrom
(other than AA who mysteriously still retain the QRPC tier multiplier bonus).
I had raised this on another thread after receiving almost a similar number of miles in my QRPC account when flying AA as I would have on QR because they seemed to apply the tier bonus for Plat. Does anyone have an idea if this is a formal thing or as makrom notes, something kinda mysterious and can go away any minute? If this is formal and not going away, having done a SE Asia to USA trip on JL and AA recently and flown MCE, this might not be a bad option. I thought the trip in MCE, which is free of charge for OWE/S, was very comfortable even when compared to QR in Y (plus the AA Flagship Lounge at ORD was very nice, I thought..maybe low expectations). I still can't figure out if you can use QR miles for Y-J upgrades on AA..preferably at the airport. I believe you can use them for full award flights, but can we use them for upgrades? If yes, then flying AA and redeeming, perhaps at better value for the miles, makes it option more attractive.

Last edited by ashbjr; May 30, 2018 at 5:09 pm
Old May 30, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: QRPC-Silver & Star-Alliance
Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
I felt they were an attempt to compensate for the otherwise-unexciting prices during Sales earlier this year, especially when compared with previous years' ones, a sort of 'less-jam-today, but the prospect of some, several-months away' offer, intended as you say to trigger paid-purchases.

And the jam has now been 'enhanced' into high-corn-syrup low-fruit-content watered-down cordial, with an extra purchase-fee when you open the jar, which you're not-allowed to do in hot weather anyway !

The in-flight experience remains good but the overall-effect leaves a slightly-bad taste in-the-mouth. Unlike you I would not have expected QR to treat its loyal long-term passengers like this, and I'm sorry that they have chosen to do so, I think it's a long-term bad move in a competitive business where we have alternatives.
beepee, NoY, spec119 and 3 others like this.
Old May 31, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: Not stuck with an Alliance anymore, Star gold, OW Saph
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
So...

Anyone know of any good EK J/F fares from Europe to Asia at the moment?
The best fare I found in F to BKK next Oct was from BRU....
Old May 31, 2018, 12:44 am

Programs: Not stuck with an Alliance anymore, Star gold, OW Saph
Originally Posted by tboons
Same. Moving away after 8 years of loyalty.
I was a QR fans but same moving after 7 years, moved to *A
Traveller999 likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by Abyssin
The best fare I found in F to BKK next Oct was from BRU....
I’ll got one for 2600 EUR in J end of June - germany - BKK - and back
its not good but better than QR at the moment ;-)
Old May 31, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
A friend just booked AMS-LHR-KUL-BKK-KUL-LHR-AMS for 1500€ on BA/MH in J. Probably not the best product, but very good if you’re based in London and credit to BAEC.
Old May 31, 2018, 2:35 am

Programs: QR platinum
Out of Brussels , Bru Bangkok.
Start around € 2,411 business class
emirates

on Singapore airlines in J € 2.245

on Qatar A : € 2228

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.