As of 05-02-2023,
Opening Hours : 1530-0740.
Print Wikipost

Bangkok (BKK) Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:24 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
One would presume that QR have done their calculations on this, and have an estimate of the percentage of eligible passengers who actually use their lounges.

I can't imagine the lounge feeling full for more than about 30mins during an overlap, but that's assuming the flights run on time.

In cases of IRROPS, let's say for a lengthy delay, the Lounge would likely be far busier than normal - and at that point, it might feel uncomfortable.

M
Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
One would presume that QR have done their calculations on this, and have an estimate of the percentage of eligible passengers who actually use their lounges.

I can't imagine the lounge feeling full for more than about 30mins during an overlap, but that's assuming the flights run on time.

In cases of IRROPS, let's say for a lengthy delay, the Lounge would likely be far busier than normal - and at that point, it might feel uncomfortable.

M
Well yes, one would presume that, but this is QR, after all. In DOH they have three lounges that sometimes get uncomfortably crowded at peak evening and morning times and one that sits virtually empty, so it wouldn't be without form...
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by klimike
Access: F/J pax only. OW partner F/J pax allowed. F/J pax travel companion is allowed with THB 2,000.

Food: Buffet style. Vegetarian options available. Desserts are nice (both western & Arabian). Chicken, beef and prawns for meat options.

Shower: 2 in total. Rituals amenity.

Martini Bar: Monopole Bluetop Champagne.

Seats: Sofa area - 56 individual couches with 2 iMac + prayer rooms. Dining area / Martini Bar: another 40 Seats I think.

Location: after fast track immigration / security - take escalator down to L3. It is very close to security. CX lounge seems to be closer to gate (G area) but it closes before 8pm.

We managed to lounge hop all 3 OW options. CX has cut out Aesop and Moët compared to our last visit in 2016.
So which of the 3 do you prefer? Husband, daughter and I will have some time to kill before our flight on March 5th...
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
I am surprised Qatar has such a "generous" entry policy in BKK for its oneWorld partners, especially via-vis LHR and CDG, not to mention DOH. ;-)
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Braniff
I am surprised Qatar has such a "generous" entry policy in BKK for its oneWorld partners, especially via-vis LHR and CDG, not to mention DOH. ;-)
C/F OW pax get acces to the “real” lounges at DOH, no?
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:19 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Well yes, one would presume that, but this is QR, after all. In DOH they have three lounges that sometimes get uncomfortably crowded at peak evening and morning times and one that sits virtually empty, so it wouldn't be without form...
True, but putting my QR Business Plan glasses on, the fact that the lounges in DOH are so busy, is a sign of how many people are choosing to fly with QR.

Originally Posted by Braniff
I think you may be using outdated info...I've used the LHR lounge multiple times when flying on MH.

DOH is open to all passengers in J/F flying on OneWorld Airlines, and I've used the Al Mourjan when flying on UL.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by klausa

C/F OW pax get acces to the “real” lounges at DOH, no?
Yes, same policy - BA F gets Al Safwa, BA/UL J gets Al Mourjan, etc.; ditto at LHR where MH J gets to use the QR lounge.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:31 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Access: F/J pax only. OW partner F/J pax allowed. F/J pax travel companion is allowed with THB 2,000.
2k THB is quite a high charge for a companion lounge access. Might as well go to the CX or JL lounges and you get your companion in for free. It would be hard to believe that the QR lounge is so much nicer than CX/JL (which are both good) that it would be worth paying for it. Unless both CX and JL are closed at the time.

So is the following correct? I am using BA and MH only for illustration purposes here - I simply want to distinguish QR vs OW other than QR.
- BA Gold flying J on MH is allowed
- QR Plat flying Y on QR is not allowed, so consequently same for BA Gold, and same if flying MH
- Non-status flying J on MH is not allowed
Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
My apologies. I had this wrong and will certainly take advantage of this new knowledge in future !
Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
True, but putting my QR Business Plan glasses on, the fact that the lounges in DOH are so busy, is a sign of how many people are choosing to fly with QR.
Yup. It's a reflection of all those sale fares

I don't think it's exactly difficult to find a quiet corner in al Safwa ....
jbalmuth likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
And anyone flying on a Oneworld airline in J/F at that time too.
Assuming that that policy continues in BKK.... Given the anticipated/calculated crowds, I could see QR revisiting this policy.

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Yup. It's a reflection of all those sale fares
Could also have something to do with the perception that QR J is decidedly superior to pretty any other J product, and it's not that expensive, even on non-sale fares.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: BA, Bonvoy, ALL
Originally Posted by Starchildflyer
So which of the 3 do you prefer? Husband, daughter and I will have some time to kill before our flight on March 5th...
Are you on 730pm A380 or the 840pm 777?

We preferred the CX lounge, Cathay Delight & noodle bars but it closes before 7pm (after last CX flight of the day leaves BKK) on Saturdays.

QR Lounge is a close second. It is a bit crowded when A380 passengers are still there and staff are still getting used to the routine.

JAL gives me the feeling of a canteen at a Japanese company but it is probably the most quiet one with edamames + cup noodles and plum wine. A distant third.

QR lounge is located closest to immigration and about 1min walk from JAL lounge on L3 (both are in D concourse). CX is on the G concourse (about 3-4min walk from JAL). Once you exit JAL, turn left to the junction then turn right towards gate G1.

We checked in about 3.5 hrs before flight departure time and think we had a bit too much time towards the back end at QR lounge. I’d opted for CX -> JAL -> QR if I knew CX was due to close early(and if I’m taking the 840pm flight out).
Old Feb 11, 2018, 2:35 am

Programs: BA, Bonvoy, ALL
Originally Posted by escape4
2k THB is quite a high charge for a companion lounge access. Might as well go to the CX or JL lounges and you get your companion in for free. It would be hard to believe that the QR lounge is so much nicer than CX/JL (which are both good) that it would be worth paying for it. Unless both CX and JL are closed at the time.

So is the following correct? I am using BA and MH only for illustration purposes here - I simply want to distinguish QR vs OW other than QR.
- BA Gold flying J on MH is allowed
- QR Plat flying Y on QR is not allowed, so consequently same for BA Gold, and same if flying MH
- Non-status flying J on MH is not allowed
Yes - I thought 2k wasn’t cheap. Especially he paid a cash upgrade for the A380 outbound.

The agent at the gate also mentioned that eligible flights for the lounge need to be longer than 5 hours when I asked about OW customers eligibility. I think she’s probably mistaken. As long as you are First / Biz with CX or MH, I think you can get in.

However the screen in the lounge only display QR flights (including the ones code shared with Bangkok Airways).
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
However the screen in the lounge only display QR flights (including the ones code shared with Bangkok Airways).
Cute trick. The only PG codeshare flights displayed are domestic; and domestic passengers don't have access to airside lounges in the international section of the airport for obvious reasons. Does QR codeshare on any of PG's international flights?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:56 am

I just paid a short visit (on a QF J ticket) and while it's pleasant enough, still a bit of an anticlimax after all the waiting.
I'd put it on a par with EK in terms of decor, F&B and amenities.
CX remains my preference, mainly for the variety and comfort of the seating, and the overall ambience, but each to their own.

And just confirming it's closed between 09:00 and 16:30.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.