FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   No more Al Mourjan access for upgrades with Qmiles/QCredits (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1876141-no-more-al-mourjan-access-upgrades-qmiles-qcredits.html)

mcrw00 Feb 26, 2018 6:41 am

Am I correct this has no bearing on QR J award tickets issued by OW partners?

YuropFlyer Feb 26, 2018 7:25 am

Originally Posted by mcrw00 (Post 29459947)
Am I correct this has no bearing on QR J award tickets issued by OW partners?

So far only upgraded tickets are no longer valid for lounge access, yes.

makrom Feb 26, 2018 10:06 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation (Post 29436969)
On top of that, there is an obvious unfairness to outright redemptions made through other OW airlines getting lounge access when QR’s own cash passengers paying in advance to upgrade don’t. I’m not at all surprised.

Not sure I see the unfairness there since both OW as well as QR awards qualify for lounge access. The only difference are award upgrades, which aren't available from OW partners anyway.

jckl Feb 26, 2018 10:33 am

Originally Posted by makrom (Post 29460786)
Not sure I see the unfairness there since both OW as well as QR awards qualify for lounge access. The only difference are award upgrades, which aren't available from OW partners anyway.

I think they mean award upgrades on OW partner airline flights, such as avios upgrades on BA flights will still grant access to AM/AS but not Qmiles/Qcredit upgrades on QR. Which is why this new policy is ludicrous, laughable, very pathetic and extremely cheap.

lost_in_translation Feb 26, 2018 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by jckl (Post 29460908)
I think they mean award upgrades on OW partner airline flights, such as avios upgrades on BA flights will still grant access to AM/AS but not Qmiles/Qcredit upgrades on QR. Which is why this new policy is ludicrous, laughable, very pathetic and extremely cheap.

Actually, I meant QRPC on an expensive flexible cash Y ticket upgraded with (quite a lot of) Qmiles gets no access whereas an AA redemption with low taxes and a mileage cost not much higher than the QR upgrade miles gets access. That seems silly, hence why most airlines allow paid upgrades to have lounge access given they are often restricted to more expensive fare classes.

spec119 Feb 26, 2018 8:47 pm

I'm of the opinion loyalty programs are not worth it QRPC being a prime example I've been buying minimum Q class Y tickets so Icould earn higher mileage and have the posdpossibi of a redemption upgrade and often paying nearly double the fare

If you add up all the extra fares it comes to quite a chunk and imo outweighs the current benefits of platinum QRPC which seems to get worse as time progresses

I wonder how many of the regilre poster's will be seen soon on other loyalty program forun's

Crisu69 Feb 26, 2018 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by spec119 (Post 29463243)
If you add up all the extra fares it comes to quite a chunk and imo outweighs the current benefits of platinum QRPC which seems to get worse as time progresses

well i am QR Platin and must admit i am not happy QR cut here a little and there but on my regular routings i could redeem all my miles +Qcredits up to now.
indeed i have only ~35k miles right now to redeem and 5 Qcredits will expire in 1
months which i could not redeem the last year but then i will get 60 more because platin will be extended for 1 more year.

in future i will not have accesd to AM in doha with an upgraded J ticket, but OK i will survive this and as platin i will still have access to the 'first class' lounge there and while in BKK for example i will still have access to cathy pacific lounge (which i prefer) there even if in Y fligt.
anyway i try not to have many hours of connection time in doha or other airports. 1-3 drinks in the lounge, mybe shower and then lets go to the next flight.

right now i am planing my next flights and found some nice award possibilities from LHR to bkk in A380, A350 and 787 which are still very nice QR birds, good on board service and still competitive prices. I will redeem my current miles and that one that i will receive tomorrow for my paid J flight from EU to bkk. Thats still not enough for upgrade the complete flight because i am short of miles but hopefully in 1 month when i get the new Qcredits because extension of platin the award is still available.

There has to be much more cutting or price increasing from QR to get me switch to another airline.

ashbjr Mar 2, 2018 5:01 pm

Just a quick update. I am transiting through DOH at the moment on a Y ticket. As QR Plat, I went to the First Class Lounge. At the bottom of the escalators, the agent looked at my BP and said “Platinum, please go to Al Mourjan”. At AM, I was directed to the reception by the agent at the escalators and the agent at reception made some adjustments on the computer and I am now sitting at AM on a Y ticket. I believe this is due to high loads at the Premium Y lounges. I arrived at a very busy time, around 12:00 AM.

Dr. HFH Mar 2, 2018 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by ashbjr (Post 29478644)
Just a quick update. I am transiting through DOH at the moment on a Y ticket. As QR Plat, I went to the First Class Lounge. At the bottom of the escalators, the agent looked at my BP and said “Platinum, please go to Al Mourjan”. At AM, I was directed to the reception by the agent at the escalators and the agent at reception made some adjustments on the computer and I am now sitting at AM on a Y ticket. I believe this is due to high loads at the Premium Y lounges. I arrived at a very busy time, around 12:00 AM.

Sounds more and more like an actual new policy.

spec119 Mar 2, 2018 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Crisu69 (Post 29463490)
well i am QR Platin and must admit i am not happy QR cut here a little and there but on my regular routings i could redeem all my miles +Qcredits up to now.
indeed i have only ~35k miles right now to redeem and 5 Qcredits will expire in 1
months which i could not redeem the last year but then i will get 60 more because platin will be extended for 1 more year.

in future i will not have accesd to AM in doha with an upgraded J ticket, but OK i will survive this and as platin i will still have access to the 'first class' lounge there and while in BKK for example i will still have access to cathy pacific lounge (which i prefer) there even if in Y fligt.
anyway i try not to have many hours of connection time in doha or other airports. 1-3 drinks in the lounge, mybe shower and then lets go to the next flight.

right now i am planing my next flights and found some nice award possibilities from LHR to bkk in A380, A350 and 787 which are still very nice QR birds, good on board service and still competitive prices. I will redeem my current miles and that one that i will receive tomorrow for my paid J flight from EU to bkk. Thats still not enough for upgrade the complete flight because i am short of miles but hopefully in 1 month when i get the new Qcredits because extension of platin the award is still available.

There has to be much more cutting or price increasing from QR to get me switch to another airline.

Last year I took 3 mileage run trips at a fairly significant cost just to obtain platinum I thought I had a better experience as a gold this year is my first time to fail to get an award upgrade

I live very close to LGW and could use CX or EK to BKK and with ek almost totally 380 service

The onboard service might not be as good but I think acceptable for a fusspot like me

tartempion Mar 9, 2018 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Dev1l (Post 29396334)
Effective 05-Feb-2018, all upgrades that are processed with Qmiles/Qcredits will have baggage allowance and lounge access as per original ticketed cabin.

Thus the only method to access AS or AM besides buying an F or J ticket is an award ticket, right?

Conclusion:
Never again will I buy a Y ticket with QR.

Good for QR I have my next and probably last J ticket trip April/May.

Booked the next-next trip J to Europe with TK.

Good I only have 22k miles left in my PC account.

Traveller999 Mar 10, 2018 7:30 pm

To follow up, here one answer from QRPC to a complaint of mine (I marked the key words in bold):
Dear Mr.
Thank you for writing to Privilege Club. We value your business.
We apologize for the delay in replying to you and appreciate your patience.
We have gone through the contents of your emails and regret to learn of your disappointment in regards to the withdrawal of benefits associated to the Award upgrade.
In view of your request, we have shared your feedback with the higher management. As per management, it has been advised that the recent programme changes have been made based on competitive scenario and the changes have been made in the larger interests of our members and the program.
However, in such scenario being a Platinum member you are still entitle to avail benefits associated to your tier.
It is never our intention to cause you discomforts of any kind, and we hope you will not judge us based on the recent changes to the program.
We thank you for your understanding and cooperation in this regards and we look forward to another opportunity of welcoming you on board Qatar Airways.

For urgent requests/queries, our Member Service Associates will be delighted to assist you; contact details available on the link below: https://www.qatarairways.com/en/Priv...ontact-us.html
We appreciate your understanding and cooperation.

Do let us know if we can assist you any
Chetna Patil
Privilege Club Team
UNQUOTE
It’s interesting to see that QR don’t want to be the best anymore, they just want to be “competitive” ;-)
nice as well to hear that the withdrawal of benefits was in the “larger interest of the members”. I think I am too stupid to understand that....;-)

synd Mar 10, 2018 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Traveller999 (Post 29509470)
To follow up, here one answer from QRPC to a complaint of mine (I marked the key words in bold):
Dear Mr.
Thank you for writing to Privilege Club. We value your business.
We apologize for the delay in replying to you and appreciate your patience.
We have gone through the contents of your emails and regret to learn of your disappointment in regards to the withdrawal of benefits associated to the Award upgrade.
In view of your request, we have shared your feedback with the higher management. As per management, it has been advised that the recent programme changes have been made based on competitive scenario and the changes have been made in the larger interests of our members and the program.
However, in such scenario being a Platinum member you are still entitle to avail benefits associated to your tier.
It is never our intention to cause you discomforts of any kind, and we hope you will not judge us based on the recent changes to the program.
We thank you for your understanding and cooperation in this regards and we look forward to another opportunity of welcoming you on board Qatar Airways.

For urgent requests/queries, our Member Service Associates will be delighted to assist you; contact details available on the link below: https://www.qatarairways.com/en/Priv...ontact-us.html
We appreciate your understanding and cooperation.

Do let us know if we can assist you any
Chetna Patil
Privilege Club Team
UNQUOTE
It’s interesting to see that QR don’t want to be the best anymore, they just want to be “competitive” ;-)
nive as well to hear that the withdrawal of benefits was in the “larger interest of the members”. I think I am too stupid to understand that....;-)

Whoa that answer would and does infuriates me! Stop with the PR BS QR, u are terrible at it! I am only asking for QR to be competitive with regards to other programs. Not more, just provide as much as the others. AFAIK I am not aware of programs that dont provide access to their Business or First class lounge in case of upgrades with miles or qcredits. There might be some programs I am not aware off but from the ones I know: SQ, LH, EK, AF, BA, TG, CX, NH, JAL, all provide access based on cabin flown. The only exceptions I am aware off are for op ups with certain airlines. and I think but havent looked into it lately some cash upgrades. It would be nice as well for QR to let us upgrade in advance, (i don't like playing lottery russian roulette with my seats) if the F cabin is still selling 8 seats when I purchase my ticket. Never had this problem as a LH SEN using my e vouchers.... Finally I would love for QR to be competitive regarding awards availability, ie have regular priced awards in C & F especially if the cabins are empty.

Alfredbali Mar 15, 2018 4:55 am

Just to confirm the current messy situation regarding lounge access, i ve just been denied lounge access in dps flying on a redemption J ticket (redemption in advance made 10 month ago)..

After a quick explanation from my side, was finally granted access based on my Plat status, QRground staff in dps still believe redemption tickets (in advance) do not allow lounge access.

Fiasco it is..

ashbjr Mar 15, 2018 5:05 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 29478752)
Sounds more and more like an actual new policy.

Indeed it seems so. Transited again through DOH on my way back to PNH. Went to the Plat Lounge again around 11:45PM and was sent to AM as QR Plat. Traveling in Y. So after having complained about not having access to AM on an upgraded J ticket, I went on to have access to it (at that particular time of the night) traveling in Y.