FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   No more Al Mourjan access for upgrades with Qmiles/QCredits (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1876141-no-more-al-mourjan-access-upgrades-qmiles-qcredits.html)

mpkz Jun 4, 2018 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k (Post 29771481)
I think access rules are pretty clear now for AM. No upgraded tickets get access (unless they were ticketed before Feb 5th).

as you can read above, while the access rule is no AM, the practice seems to be people (esp QR Plat) being directed to AM. Happened to me last week twice on a ticket that was booked and upgraded well after February.

As usual its a QR-level mess where you don't really know what you will be getting

lifeonthego_k Jun 4, 2018 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by mpkz (Post 29828066)
as you can read above, while the access rule is no AM, the practice seems to be people (esp QR Plat) being directed to AM. Happened to me last week twice on a ticket that was booked and upgraded well after February.

As usual its a QR-level mess where you don't really know what you will be getting

I'm pretty sure that has to do with load levels in the First class lounge rather than anything else. E.g. Mornings get very busy and hence whenever I've been at Doha in the morning, I've been redirected to AM, although I was flying in Y as a Platinum member. This has happened 3 times to me. The policy here is simply to re-direct platinum members to AM when the First class lounge is full. I don't see a connection with 'upgrade does not get AM access' policy.

ashbjr Jun 4, 2018 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by mpkz (Post 29828066)

As noted by lifeonthego_k, this is a loads thing. Happened to me twice in March. Arrived in DOH around midnight. That seems to be a busy time for the Plat Lounge. Did it happen for you around midnight as well? Will be going back in on the same flights into DOH in a few weeks, and will report back with another data point.

mpkz Jun 5, 2018 9:40 am

Originally Posted by ashbjr (Post 29829870)
As noted by lifeonthego_k, this is a loads thing. Happened to me twice in March. Arrived in DOH around midnight. That seems to be a busy time for the Plat Lounge. Did it happen for you around midnight as well? Will be going back in on the same flights into DOH in a few weeks, and will report back with another data point.

Midnight and 5am

purple1addict Jun 6, 2018 1:10 am

Midnight for me too - a few times now

escape4 May 1, 2019 7:53 am

Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k (Post 29829310)
I'm pretty sure that has to do with load levels in the First class lounge rather than anything else. E.g. Mornings get very busy and hence whenever I've been at Doha in the morning, I've been redirected to AM, although I was flying in Y as a Platinum member. This has happened 3 times to me. The policy here is simply to re-direct platinum members to AM when the First class lounge is full. I don't see a connection with 'upgrade does not get AM access' policy.

Any recent experiences of QR plats on mileage redemptions in J? As QR Plat should I just go straight to AM instead of going to First lounge if anyway at the First lounge they are likely to send me back to AM?

lost_in_translation May 1, 2019 8:26 am

Originally Posted by escape4 (Post 31056009)
Any recent experiences of QR plats on mileage redemptions in J? As QR Plat should I just go straight to AM instead of going to First lounge if anyway at the First lounge they are likely to send me back to AM?

If by mileage redemption you mean a straightforward J booking with miles then go straight to Al Mourjan, these have always been entitled to access! If you mean a cash ticket upgraded with miles then someone else is probably better placed to advise.

escape4 May 1, 2019 8:56 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation (Post 31056128)
If by mileage redemption you mean a straightforward J booking with miles then go straight to Al Mourjan, these have always been entitled to access!

Oh, my bad I misunderstood then. Yes indeed I meant straight J booking with miles. I incorrectly thought AM access had been cut out!

ashbjr May 2, 2019 7:57 am

I'd advise going to the F lounge first as I believe there is some communication between attendants on their earpieces regarding people being sent over. As QR Plat, even when flying in Y, I have been consistently directed to AM for over a year when arriving around midnight and I would say its pretty much as consistent as an unwritten rule can get with QR. More recently, I had to wait a bit to meet my father who was arriving on another flight and we got to the F lounge around 1AM and we were directed just to use the F lounge. When I asked about AM, they were clear that there is a window of around half an hour or so after midnight when they direct Plats to AM. After that, they are not allowed to and they wouldn't budge.

ms101 May 26, 2019 7:52 am

Apologies if this has been asked before, but does this new rule also apply to the QR lounge in T4 LHR?

purple1addict May 26, 2019 9:59 am

Originally Posted by ms101 (Post 31139858)
Apologies if this has been asked before, but does this new rule also apply to the QR lounge in T4 LHR?

Yes, it does. Sadly.

Jgp777 May 26, 2019 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by ashbjr (Post 31059638)
I'd advise going to the F lounge first as I believe there is some communication between attendants on their earpieces regarding people being sent over. As QR Plat, even when flying in Y, I have been consistently directed to AM for over a year when arriving around midnight and I would say its pretty much as consistent as an unwritten rule can get with QR. More recently, I had to wait a bit to meet my father who was arriving on another flight and we got to the F lounge around 1AM and we were directed just to use the F lounge. When I asked about AM, they were clear that there is a window of around half an hour or so after midnight when they direct Plats to AM. After that, they are not allowed to and they wouldn't budge.

Am transitting today, was told that from now onwards no Plat/OW Emerald with Y ticket to Al Mourjan. They will be directed to the Al Maha lounge if the First Lounge is full.

lost_in_translation May 26, 2019 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jgp777 (Post 31141411)
Am transitting today, was told that from now onwards no Plat/OW Emerald with Y ticket to Al Mourjan. They will be directed to the Al Maha lounge if the First Lounge is full.

Seriously? Sending QR Plats at their home airport to the Al Maha Lounge? If you ever needed a demonstration QR couldn’t care less about status, there it is.

Traveller999 May 26, 2019 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by Jgp777 (Post 31141411)

I really would like to look into "their heads" to see what they are thinking when they implent such crazy rules....because I cannot imagine any "good" reason for that.

subject2load May 27, 2019 12:26 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation (Post 31141619)
Seriously? Sending QR Plats at their home airport to the Al Maha Lounge? If you ever needed a demonstration QR couldn’t care less about status, there it is.

Agreed, this is seriously weird and a horribly misguided policy.

QR is an awesomely good airline ‘in the air’ and (for me, at least !) has always provided consistently excellent service.

But service on the ground matters a lot too. And that’s where QR makes some extremely poor decisions - driven by a skewed mindset that considers hard cash as the only priority, above all other (often, more important) factors.