FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   No more Al Mourjan access for upgrades with Qmiles/QCredits (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1876141-no-more-al-mourjan-access-upgrades-qmiles-qcredits.html)

Jgp777 Jan 29, 2018 4:37 pm

This makes no sense. Transited Doha on Thursday on a paid J ticket and obviously I was allowed to enter. Though before entering I specifically asked them at the desk what the new rules are. And they showed me a copy of an internal communication stating lounge access is restricted only for airport and email upgrades. I even told them that my colleague was denied, they said it was a mistake. Then I told them I'd be transiting again in a couple of days on a ticket with a miles upgrade 2 weeks before, showed them my PNR and they verified saying no problem to access Al Mourjan. yesterday, from HKG in Y and Doha to MAD on miles upgrade, I was allowed to enter AM with no problems.
clearly there is a huge miscommunication. I will write to one of the senior contacts I have at QR.

LebaneseInQatar Jan 30, 2018 4:32 am

Hi Jpg777,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'd be interested to know what/if you eventually hear back from your contact at QR!

stargold Feb 6, 2018 7:25 am

I have now seen an internal communication which confirmed that this is indeed a policy change.

Effective 5 February 2018, any upgrades using Qmiles or Qpoints prior to arriving at the airport will receive the baggage and lounge entitlement based on the original ticket purchased, not the upgraded class.

lost_in_translation Feb 6, 2018 7:56 am

Originally Posted by stargold (Post 29385472)
I have now seen an internal communication which confirmed that this is indeed a policy change.

Effective 5 February 2018, any upgrades using Qmiles or Qpoints prior to arriving at the airport will receive the baggage and lounge entitlement based on the original ticket purchased, not the upgraded class.

Does the communication say anything clearer on whether this also applies to existing bookings? I have an e-ticket from last year that clearly states I'm entitled to the new, higher baggage allowance after being reissued on upgrade....

justforfun Feb 6, 2018 7:58 am

That's just not right. Big thumbs down.

stargold Feb 6, 2018 8:19 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation (Post 29385585)
Does the communication say anything clearer on whether this also applies to existing bookings? I have an e-ticket from last year that clearly states I'm entitled to the new, higher baggage allowance after being reissued on upgrade....

Any ticket which was re-issued for the upgrade up to and including 4 February will continue to receive the higher baggage and lounge entitlement.

LebaneseInQatar Feb 6, 2018 8:35 am

Well, that’s just a real damn shame..

anyone here err knows if QR monitors these forums? Any way we can pressure them to bring this back?

TGflyergirl Feb 6, 2018 8:46 am

I have seen the memo also - and can confirm this.

toastedcafe Feb 6, 2018 9:15 am

A bit confused.. "prior to arriving at the airport"
How about "after arriving at the airport" ?

nilsfr69 Feb 6, 2018 9:34 am

I flew Jan 17th and upgraded 1 week before that date, was still not allowed in the AS Lounge.

lost_in_translation Feb 6, 2018 9:40 am

Slightly annoyed as I had a number of tickets I was waiting to book until the upgrade situation was clarified and now by not booking them it appears I've managed to stop myself getting Al Safwa access - possibly time for me to think again about crediting QR flights to QRPC.

lifeonthego_k Feb 6, 2018 10:09 am

What about upgrades using Qcredits? I have an upcoming journey in June - bought a ticket in Y and using Qcredits have upgraded to J. And also, I assume award tickets for J/F will continue getting access to AM/AS? Thanks.

YuropFlyer Feb 6, 2018 10:29 am

Originally Posted by LebaneseInQatar (Post 29385707)
Well, that’s just a real damn shame..

anyone here err knows if QR monitors these forums? Any way we can pressure them to bring this back?

Best pressure will be to avoid flying them, voting with your wallet.

Johnnieboy Feb 6, 2018 10:41 am

Disappointing. The staff in Al Safwa will have even less to do now...

It's hard to see where the major savings are from this, particularly given their ability to limit advance upgrades anyway (and the not inconsequential amount of qmiles needed for upgrades). Perhaps full redemptions are next?

lost_in_translation Feb 6, 2018 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Johnnieboy (Post 29386198)
Disappointing. The staff in Al Safwa will have even less to do now...

It's hard to see where the major savings are from this, particularly given their ability to limit advance upgrades anyway (and the not inconsequential amount of qmiles needed for upgrades). Perhaps full redemptions are next?

Indeed - it costs almost as much in Qmiles to upgrade a cash ticket as it does to just book a QR premium cabin flight outright with AA miles on some routes...