Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: msm2000uk
Please post your experiences related to QR's longest route, between DOH-AKL-DOH.

​​​​​​​M
Print Wikipost

The AKL Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2019, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Smid
I'm not sure what PC staus is, but I thought that oneworld silver was good for the Qantas lounge in AKL. Never heard of a gold staus only lounge. There are two sections, one for gold/first (i assume, but not sure if F flights go from there), and other for rest.
PC silver is OneWorld Ruby and does not qualify for lounge access under OW rules.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
I'm not sure what PC staus is, but I thought that oneworld silver was good for the Qantas lounge in AKL. Never heard of a gold staus only lounge. There are two sections, one for gold/first (i assume, but not sure if F flights go from there), and other for rest.
There are no silver/gold on OW.

Ruby - Business class checkin
Sapphire - Extra baggage, priority baggage, priority boarding, business lounge access
Emerald - First class checkin, fast track security, first class lounges

Statuses vary by airline:

ruby: QR/QF/AY/CX/IB/MH/S7 silver, AA/LA gold, BA bronze, JL crystal, RJ jay, UL classic
sapphire: QR/QF/AY/CX/IB/MH/S7/UL gold, AA/LA platinum, BA silver, JL sapphire, RJ sparrow
emerald: QR/QF/AY/IB/MH/S7/UL platinum, AA platinum pro, BA gold, CX/JL diamond, LA black, RJ hawk
Old Sep 1, 2019, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by duvin
sapphire: ... AA/LA platinum ...
emerald: ... AA platinum pro ...
AA PLT and PLT PRO are both OW Sapphire.

AA EXP is OW Emerald.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:33 am

looking at booking a flight to AKL out Jan back Feb, q suites are only showing on the return journey, is there something strange going on with the January flights, I'm flying alone and would prefer the q suite to the 2 2 2 of old
Old Sep 4, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC
This maybe an odd question, but I've never been on a flight longer than 11hrs...
What sort of 'strategy' do people use with regards eating and sleeping, to try and avoid arriving absolutely blitzed?
Our flights are as follows;
ARN-DOH 1740-0045, A350 (1-2-1)
DOH-AKL 0220-0505, 772 (Qsuite)

AKL-DOH 1525-2315, 772 (Qsuite)
DOH-CPH 0135-0705, 773 (Qsuite)

Outbound, we are thinking to stay awake for the whole ARN-DOH leg, probably swerve the lounge, get something to eat DOH-AKL then drop a sleeping pill. However, even if we managed 7 hours sleep, we'd still end up with another long haul flight ahead of us when we wake up. It's a crazy length flight!

What are you all doing?

Thanks in advance
Sean
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
Why anyone would fly a 777 over an A380, which is a vastly superior passenger experience, is beyond me. 777 doesn't come close even.
Because at the time it was a 3-3-3 layout, fairly empty eg row to self for most, well timed departure out of AKL, way better wifi than I've ever had on EK, cheaper, with a good transfer airport experience.

Will be interested to watch the transformation. Are they the new economy seats at least? Might try it out again low season.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by londonsean69
This maybe an odd question, but I've never been on a flight longer than 11hrs...
What sort of 'strategy' do people use with regards eating and sleeping, to try and avoid arriving absolutely blitzed?
Our flights are as follows;
ARN-DOH 1740-0045, A350 (1-2-1)
DOH-AKL 0220-0505, 772 (Qsuite)

AKL-DOH 1525-2315, 772 (Qsuite)
DOH-CPH 0135-0705, 773 (Qsuite)

Outbound, we are thinking to stay awake for the whole ARN-DOH leg, probably swerve the lounge, get something to eat DOH-AKL then drop a sleeping pill. However, even if we managed 7 hours sleep, we'd still end up with another long haul flight ahead of us when we wake up. It's a crazy length flight!

What are you all doing?
Ok, so did this before but I'm a bit of a boozer, so YMMV, and I enjoyed about 16 movies over the two flights.

1) ARN to DOH. I didn't have much in the basic lounge (I'm not even sure I remember it). Plenty of champers onboard, watched a few films. Didn't sleep, ate the first meal, not the second.
2) Lounge DOH. Couple of champers. A bit of a snack. I remember the rice being lovely on the plane, so I had more. 2 hours here.
3) Got onboard, asked to defer food for 5 hours. Had more champers. Watched more films. Ate at 5 hours, then bedded down. Got about 8 hours sleep then. Woke up, watch a few movies, without anymore booze. Had breakfast. Landed at 4am. Pretty much awake and rested at this point.

Reverse, I did the same strategy on the AKL to DOH of 5 booze/8 sleep /4 up. This might vary, because a lot bed down immediately, and sleep, so are awake and making a lot of noise (with children), just when you are mid sleep. I boozed the 4 hours, and in the lounge connecting. Lounge at DOH, basically champers. Then when I got on DOH-ARN (it was actually OSL for me), I passed on the meal, and bedded down. Woke up for breakfast, landed without anymore booze (my god, thinking about it, I've done a flight without a drink). Felt fine on the OSL end.

But in summary of the problem: You have 16-17 hours to kill on the AKL flights. You'd sleep 8 hours normally, at best (I'd typically do 5 on a normal flight), so there's still 7 hours to kill in some way, be it sober, eating or movies. Eye and ear cover might be needed and its up to you to work out what is best for you.
londonsean69 likes this.

Last edited by Smid; Sep 5, 2019 at 3:20 am
Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:40 am

Ok, so did this before but I'm a bit of a boozer, so YMMV, and I enjoyed about 16 movies over the two flights.
That's certainly one of my options I did contemplate just drinking until I slept, then see how I was doing for time when I woke up and get back on it
Travelling with the wife, so am bringing a HDMI splitter so I can plug my laptop into both IFE monitors and (assuming that actually works) we'll watch a few films and series' together, whilst making the most of the QR hospitality.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by londonsean69
That's certainly one of my options I did contemplate just drinking until I slept, then see how I was doing for time when I woke up and get back on it
Travelling with the wife, so am bringing a HDMI splitter so I can plug my laptop into both IFE monitors and (assuming that actually works) we'll watch a few films and series' together, whilst making the most of the QR hospitality.
Seems a lot of effort considering you can both kind of agree and start the same movie at the same time, and pause it at your own needs, having generally kept in sync...
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Alun
looking at booking a flight to AKL out Jan back Feb, q suites are only showing on the return journey, is there something strange going on with the January flights, I'm flying alone and would prefer the q suite to the 2 2 2 of old
I'm booked on the DOH-AKL-DOH flight in december and on Qatar Airways Webpage in my booking it shows still the Q-Suite Seatmap for DOH-AKL.
But if I would make a new booking for my excact dates, there is no Q-Suite showing in the booking process.

I hope they do not switch back to the old Layout..

Last edited by Michael747; Sep 5, 2019 at 6:29 am
Old Sep 5, 2019, 7:32 am

Seems a lot of effort considering you can both kind of agree and start the same movie at the same time, and pause it at your own needs, having generally kept in sync...
We have done that in the past, both on BA and Qatar, but this time around we have a lot of series that most likely won't be available on the IFE.
It's not a big hassle, Mini-DP to 2xHDMI spliter, and 2 HDMI cables into the IFE. Flying short haul we watch the same laptop and use a headphone doubler, so using a 2x HDMI splitter isn't really much more hassle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.