Wiki Posts
Search

Combining luggage

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
Combining luggage

Can two passengers travelling together bring 3 suitcases of 20kg, when the baggage restriction is 2 x30kg?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No. If the allowance is 2 x 30, then that is the allowance. If you check a third bag, whether 1 or 20 kg., you will be charged for it.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
No. If the allowance is 2 x 30, then that is the allowance. If you check a third bag, whether 1 or 20 kg., you will be charged for it.
OK, so we would both have to have one bag of 20kg + one of 10kg, right? Are they very strict about this?

The allowance is 30kg (not 1 bag of 30kg).
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
if it is a weight-based allowance you can bring up to 9 suitcases as long as the total is below the maximum weight allowed. If there are 2 passengers but on the same booking, it should be fine as they will combine the weights.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum
I don't know if QR allows combining luggage allowance although I've never had a problem doing it on other carriers.

If your luggage is 30kg (weight concept) you c
are allowed to check in 2 bags (20kg + 10kg) as long as the combined weight does not exceed 30kg.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That is not what OP says the allowance is. If the allowance is 2 x 30, presumably each passenger gets one at 30, that is not the same as 3 x 20.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Often1
That is not what OP says the allowance is. If the allowance is 2 x 30, presumably each passenger gets one at 30, that is not the same as 3 x 20.
However, there is no QR route with such a baggage allowance.

The context is presumably that the OP is flying QR Y without status and therefore two passengers on the same booking would each receive a 30kg (66lb) baggage allowance to use how they see fit subject to a maximum dimension of 300 cm (118in) and a maximum weight for an individual bag of 32kg. There is no restriction on number of pieces outside of routes to the Americas (where the weight allowance is done per bag rather than in total) other than apparently a max of 9 per passenger as referred to by Salehir above.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Luggage allowance is 30kg each.
We were on the same booking but they split it when trying to upgrade.
Can we bring 3 suitcases of 20kg each.
Thanks.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nick5000
Thanks.
Checked baggage is either
  • weight system X kg (can be no limit on pieces)
    or
  • piece system. Y pieces at no more then Z kg each

What does your ticket say?
What route?
Or phone QR
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:04 pm

Thanks.
It's still not very clear, but it sounds to me as if that would require 40kg (2 cases) on one booking and 20kg (1 case) on the other so the answer would be no.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
It's still not very clear, but it sounds to me as if that would require 40kg (2 cases) on one booking and 20kg (1 case) on the other so the answer would be no.
That's is the correct interpretation. Not sure why it's not clear. It should be very common that the ticket says 3o kg.

So Qatar will not allow that when checkin in together? I have done that many times with other airlines, but know that Ryan Air and some other budget airlines don't allow that.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:00 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
That's is the correct interpretation. Not sure why it's not clear. It should be very common that the ticket says 3o kg.

So Qatar will not allow that when checkin in together? I have done that many times with other airlines, but know that Ryan Air and some other budget airlines don't allow that.
30Kg/person, but two people travelling on the same PNR (same booking), then your total of 60KG is normally fine. Same booking is key. (no "pooling of luggage allowances" across different bookings).
However, it is against the standard allowance on your ticket, so if you get denied by check-in agents, you have no basis to argue back. It would mean one passenger needs to check in 2 bags and pay 10KG of overweight luggage, with the other passenger taking the remaining bag.
It is a risk, so if I were you, I would spend 50 dollars and buy a cheap bag of carryon size, that you can use to split the third bag should it get denied (based on the 30kg/person rule).
*If there is no issue, that cheap bag becomes your carryon and you bring it onto your flight!
nick5000 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: BAEC
Plenty of times with QR for me they have tagged the baggage in the name of only one of the two people traveling, when that baggage exceeded the allowance for one person but was within limits if combined for two. YMMV but the impression I get is provided that all pieces are below 32kg then they are happy to pool the allowance within the total allowance.
nick5000 and Traveller999 like this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks!
This was one booking, however they split it up while trying to upgrade.
Maybe it will help if I bring a printout of the initial booking confirmation where the passengers are listed together under a single PNR
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:13 pm

It's not clear as we can't tell how the booking has been split and what exactly happens with all the conditions in such a case. Did you receive new conditions, a new PNR, two new PNRs, any new ticket numbers etc?

Ryanair do allow baggage to be pooled across passengers on the same reservation but I don't know how they would treat something non standard like this. Likewise QR.

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful...g-check-in-bag
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.