Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: msm2000uk
Please post your experiences related to QR's longest route, between DOH-AKL-DOH.

​​​​​​​M
Print Wikipost

The AKL Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Funny how different opinions are ! On my MAN-DOH-AKL last month, I had a great comfy sleep (well several in fact!) on the 777 - I didn't actually like the 787 seat too much, and found it cramped in sleep mode
I flew DOH-AKL-DOH last year, since then I tried 320,380,787 and 350, but for long comfortable sleep, I like the 777 as with others I stiing my legs in the hole makes it much less comfy.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I found the trick was to stick pillows/blankets/spare jumpers under my legs on the 777. Worked a treat
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold,Amex Plat & BA, MR Plat, HH Diamond, accor Gold
It looks like this Thursday and Saturday flight will have the Qsuite on it, I can’t wait to compare both, as I don’t mind the old layout as the seats are nice and wide for sleeping.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:15 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Noting that with today's launch of the SQ SIN-EWR route, QR's AKL service loses its 'world's longest-distance commercial flight' crown.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:41 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Just to add, what I recently found out about the handling agents/QR baggage service at AKL (and I guess Australia). After arriving into AKL, discovered one of my check-in bag was damaged (a significant dent/structure damage) and it was the soft material bag (Samsonite). The corner of the bag was totally dented and deformed. To my surprised when I made this claim at the handling agent desk (AeroCare) I was told that QR does not cover these type of damage and I had to claim it from my own travel insurance. I was given an email address which seems to be to AeroCare in Australia (ended in .com.au).

Did send them an email but no response until today. Hopefully this will be informative to those traveling into this part of the world. Previous experience of such damage in other region (and airlines) such severe damage is normally covered.

Cheers!

ps: also having a nightmare now trying to get the AKL-DOH credited to my AA account not sure why it was not posted correctly this round.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Noting that with today's launch of the SQ SIN-EWR route, QR's AKL service loses its 'world's longest-distance commercial flight' crown.
Retains it for economy though. (Only PE and J on the SQ flight.)

I just flew it so I’d like to keep my crown
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
I found the longest flight thing interesting but in the days of too much information the exact flight which was the longest up to now has not been recorded.

When we flew AKL to DOH mid april, the captain stated that we had just been on the actual longest flight in the world. Now, I have no doubt one of them was longer since then and the exact amount.

But it is the usual level of lazy inaccurate reporting which says a westbound flight would be (ie: DOH to AKL or LHR to PER).

Maybe flightstats can reveal. I can imagine the longest ones are those with heavy carho and headwinds that day...
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Anyone recently flew MAN-DOH-AKL? When I bought tickets in March, there was 1.5h or 2h change window on a way back but due to schedule change, I'm left with 1h10min to change at Doha. I'm checking Flight Radar and it looks like AKL flight is recently late 10-40 minutes.

On a way out, with 2h30minut I hardly had time to have a shower (queue) and eat something, so I'm not sure how I'm going to make it in 1h10min if both flights have bus gate like on my outward journey and with possible delay.

Is someone waiting at the plane/special bus if there's short connection or at bus gate arrival? Did anyone manage to change in 1h in Doha with 2 bus gates? Obviously no chance of shower which is real shame after 17h on a plane. Will checked bag make it in 1hr or is it better to go HBO, which I can do.

What are the chances of being rebooked on LHR flight if I miss MAN one? It would save me the trouble of getting back from MAN.

And last question, why is Qatar boarding economy before business in Doha? I didn't enjoy sitting at the gate and watching all the people board, while I could be sitting on a plane and enjoy a drink in comfort.

Regarding seats, I had 6K on DOH-AKL but was able to change to 1K at MAN. From virtual view it looked like row 6 is missing one window. When I boarded, I was asked twice to swap a seat with the guy at 6K, because he was separated from his family.

Last edited by Richmond_Surrey; Nov 1, 2018 at 6:31 pm
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey
And last question, why is Qatar boarding economy before business in Doha? I didn't enjoy sitting at the gate and watching all the people board, while I could be sitting on a plane and enjoy a drink in comfort.

If it's a bus gate, they'll often take the J passengers last to minimise the number of trips in the J class bus. Those business-class passengers intent on enjoying the lounge might be expected to get to the gate later than most, so it's more efficient to wait to the end of boarding to load the bus. I've arrived at the gate after the J convoy has gone, and been given the choice of taking a bus with economy-class stragglers or wait for them to arrange other transport

You seem to have been pressed for lounge time, yet you got to the gate to the gate in time to board first. With 17 hours in an aircraft seat ahead of me, I think I'd adopt a more relaxed approach.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
You seem to have been pressed for lounge time, yet you got to the gate to the gate in time to board first. With 17 hours in an aircraft seat ahead of me, I think I'd adopt a more relaxed approach.
I never been to Doha before and didn't know how much time it will take me to get to the gate and that business boarding will be at the end. Staff was turning away any business passengers trying to board. If I knew, I will board last, I wouldn't be in any rush to get to the gate.

Also had no idea so many planes use bus gates, it's not something I expected.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:48 pm

Programs: NZ*E, MPO, QR
As a data point, we arrived in Doha late with only 45 minutes to our Auckland departure. I thought at best our bags would be left behind and at worse 12 hours delay through Hong Kong.

Lucky we had a gate arrival to a gate departure and with a quick walk through transit security and going pier to pier had us from our J seat to J seat in 12 minutes ! Sat slipping our drinks and watching the Y passengers board for another 20 minutes. And our bags were on board.

Just shows Doha can be quick without lounge visit for a shower.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
We are flying Man to DOH to AKL on the 9th Nov back on the 19th...any one else? Yes the change to 1h10Min is annoying as a shower would have been nice.....
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Originally Posted by simonsmith
We are flying Man to DOH to AKL on the 9th Nov back on the 19th...any one else? Yes the change to 1h10Min is annoying as a shower would have been nice.....
But even with the original timings you may have been hard pressed to get a shower. Sometimes the wait times are over an hour.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:39 am

I took the plane back, that simonsmith arrived in AKL. AKL-DOH landed 5 minutes before schedule, bus gate but close one, by C gates. It still took 15 minutes to get to terminal because of waiting for stairs and buses. Then there was security check which was quick. I was hoping to get to lounge for a moment to refresh but went to First Class by accident and then gave up and went to Disabled Toilet in main terminal (I know, I'm bad). MAN flight was leaving from C1 so it was close to central part of terminal. When I got to the gate 35 minutes before departure, it was already Final Call. Despite that, I was subjected to extra security checks which annoyed me, as I just packed my stuff at security and had to take out laptop and Kindle again. Passenger beside me was quite angry, as he had only 30 minutes change time, run through terminal to make it and then got extra security checks at the gate. I was last one to get on board in business cabin. My baggage made it and arrived with me in MAN, it got Rapid Transfer sticker in AKL.

All flights were very pleasant and crew very attentive. However experience of changing in Doha spoiled the trip. I don't think I will be rushing to fly Qatar again, unless I have at least 2.5h window to change. Flying Emirates was much better and change at Dubai airport.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey
I took the plane back, that simonsmith arrived in AKL. AKL-DOH landed 5 minutes before schedule, bus gate but close one, by C gates. It still took 15 minutes to get to terminal because of waiting for stairs and buses. Then there was security check which was quick. I was hoping to get to lounge for a moment to refresh but went to First Class by accident and then gave up and went to Disabled Toilet in main terminal (I know, I'm bad). MAN flight was leaving from C1 so it was close to central part of terminal. When I got to the gate 35 minutes before departure, it was already Final Call. Despite that, I was subjected to extra security checks which annoyed me, as I just packed my stuff at security and had to take out laptop and Kindle again. Passenger beside me was quite angry, as he had only 30 minutes change time, run through terminal to make it and then got extra security checks at the gate. I was last one to get on board in business cabin. My baggage made it and arrived with me in MAN, it got Rapid Transfer sticker in AKL.

All flights were very pleasant and crew very attentive. However experience of changing in Doha spoiled the trip. I don't think I will be rushing to fly Qatar again, unless I have at least 2.5h window to change. Flying Emirates was much better and change at Dubai airport.
There are two or three Manchester flights each day, so it's usually possible to go for a quick connection, or a longer wait (and the opportunity to shower). Or even take advantage of the Doha stop-over programme with its free hotel.

Showering and changing for the second fight isn't compulsory, indeed I think it's an opportunity taken up by only some of those with a long wait in DOH.

Using the disabled toilets was one solution, but the onboard lavs do pretty well for getting in and out of PJs, so they'd probably do OK for smartening up for a Manchester arrival (a phrase I never expected to see written - must be one of the most depressing airports I use).

Additional and unexpected security checks can be an annoyance - but i understand the enhanced gate checks are at the request/command of the UK (and US) authorities. From recent flights to the UK, we get them in Istanbul and Cairo, as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.