Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: msm2000uk
Please post your experiences related to QR's longest route, between DOH-AKL-DOH.

​​​​​​​M
Print Wikipost

The AKL Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
I took QR 921 in Y on the weekend which was rescheduled to 12:20 from 15:05 to accommodate the fuel stop in ADL and maintain the same arrival time in DOH. The initial flight was ~ 4.5hrs and the initial meal was served.

Upon landing in ADL, the plane was fumigated and we were kept on the plane for ~ 2 hours. The crew were changed (who stay overnight before taking the longer sector the following day) and we departed.

The "Movie snack" was served upon departure and I'm not sure if we got anything more until the main meal was served before landing, 13.5hrs later. As per every other DOH arrival I've had, it was then a bus transfer from the plane

It's already a long flight, but boarding at 11:45 NST and stepping onto the bus at 00:20 AST meant over 21hr 30 in the same seat on the same plane. Definitely a record I don't want to repeat!
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
QR921 is now back to nonstop to Doha
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:31 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
We fly AKL-DOH-ARN on a Tuesday in January, and the Worldwide Lounges page on the Qatar site shows Qantas lounges as the only option, yet they are both closed on Tuesdays? Does this mean that we won't have access to a lounge despite travelling in business class? I'll be BA Silver just in case that means anything. Thx
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:59 am

Paul Coles according to https://www.qatarairways.com/en-dk/l...worldwide.html the qantas lounge is closed on Tuesdays but according to https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-...eaccess/akl/-1 the lounge is open 04.00-20.00 every day. but do remember the qualifying footnote "Note: Open Daily: 04:00 - Last Qantas Departure". Knowing how long QR are at updating their website and how accurate the OW site is usually I personally would trust the OW website. But If you want to be sure check the Qantas website.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Paul Coles
We fly AKL-DOH-ARN on a Tuesday in January, and the Worldwide Lounges page on the Qatar site shows Qantas lounges as the only option, yet they are both closed on Tuesdays? Does this mean that we won't have access to a lounge despite travelling in business class? I'll be BA Silver just in case that means anything. Thx
There is about zero chance the Qantas lounge is closed on Tuesdays. And, as the QR flight departs mid-afternoon, there are plenty of QF departures before and after the QR flight. I'll never say never but I'd be truly shocked if the Qantas lounge in AKL is closed on a Tuesday, particularly in January, one of the peak months for travel to New Zealand. That said, I know QF wants to refurbish the AKL lounge but I'm not sure when they are starting, or even if they are starting anytime soon.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Seems to me that the most accurate place to find out about a Qantas lounge is Qantas. Here's the AKL lounge page, including hours of operation. Link.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
I was in AKL a couple weeks ago (flying CX PE) and found out that CX uses the NZ/*A lounge instead of the QF lounge. Not sure why they do that, but it's not exactly seamless. The BP scanners at the NZ lounge can't read a mobile BP, so it took several minutes for them to admit me. I have a feeling the QF lounge would've been a much smoother experience.

That said, the Air NZ lounge is very nice.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by swingaling
I was in AKL a couple weeks ago (flying CX PE) and found out that CX uses the NZ/*A lounge instead of the QF lounge. Not sure why they do that, but it's not exactly seamless. The BP scanners at the NZ lounge can't read a mobile BP, so it took several minutes for them to admit me. I have a feeling the QF lounge would've been a much smoother experience.

That said, the Air NZ lounge is very nice.
CX/NZ have an alliance and codesharing agreement with each other: https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/co-o...cathay-pacific

I haven't used the new NZ AKL lounge (only the old one before the recent renovation), but I would take it over the QF AKL lounge (even the QF F side) based on what I've seen. Unfortunately it isn't an option for those flying with QR.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:26 am

I was in AKL a couple weeks ago (flying CX PE) and found out that CX uses the NZ/*A lounge instead of the QF lounge. Not sure why they do that, but it's not exactly seamless.
This is because CX and NZ have a strategic alliance on flights between NZ and HK, so they codeshare on each other's flights, and CX passengers can use the NZ lounge in AKL, and NZ passengers the CX lounges in HKG.

Though if you are travelling on a CX plane with a CX flight number, and is a Oneworld Sapphire and above, I would've thought that you could've accessed the QF lounge at AKL too?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Firipu
This is because CX and NZ have a strategic alliance on flights between NZ and HK, so they codeshare on each other's flights, and CX passengers can use the NZ lounge in AKL, and NZ passengers the CX lounges in HKG.

Though if you are travelling on a CX plane with a CX flight number, and is a Oneworld Sapphire and above, I would've thought that you could've accessed the QF lounge at AKL too?
I know about the CX/NZ codeshares, but I just assumed alliance would trump that.

In any event, I did not try to access the QF lounge when I was at AKL mainly because my BP specifically had a lounge invite to the NZ lounge. As OWS, I assume I would've been able to access the QF lounge as well, but we all know that QF (and QR) can be finicky about lounge access.

It didn't help that the signage in the terminal was a bit confusing (due to construction).
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, HHonors Diamond,
Originally Posted by Firipu
QR921 is now back to nonstop to Doha
Does anyone know why QR continues to have flights departing earlier, despite the end of the fuel crisis in AKL? If you look at the flight status page for AKL-DOH flights between now and end of month it still had the flights routed through ADL and leaving earlier until at least Oct 1. I am scheduled to depart on Oct 3 and hope they have resumed normal schedule by then.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:37 am

Hi,
In the same boat - i assume schedule hasn't changed back as they had to hedge their bets on the pipeline being back, apparently still not running at capacity.
Annoying as even though flights are now direct, it will mean a long transit in doha.
Trying to push for a flight to lhr instead of arn as my journey is 2.5 hours longer but no joy so far!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by riteshshah
Does anyone know why QR continues to have flights departing earlier, despite the end of the fuel crisis in AKL? If you look at the flight status page for AKL-DOH flights between now and end of month it still had the flights routed through ADL and leaving earlier until at least Oct 1. I am scheduled to depart on Oct 3 and hope they have resumed normal schedule by then.
A friend of mine just returned on the non stop QR921. He was personally called by QR and informed of the earlier departure time when the crisis was happening. I assume they didn't want to inconvenience passengers again by calling everyone up and getting them to change their plans again?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:44 am

I know about the CX/NZ codeshares, but I just assumed alliance would trump that.

In any event, I did not try to access the QF lounge when I was at AKL mainly because my BP specifically had a lounge invite to the NZ lounge. As OWS, I assume I would've been able to access the QF lounge as well, but we all know that QF (and QR) can be finicky about lounge access.

It didn't help that the signage in the terminal was a bit confusing (due to construction).
It probably saves them money by redirecting passengers to the NZ lounge

The Oneworld website does indicate that OWS and OWE are able to access the QF lounge if travelling on a Oneworld airline
Old Sep 28, 2017, 3:31 am

Qatar called me today (28th sep) about my Auckland departure tomorrow. It's still running early and they are stoping in Perth to top up the tanks. Fuel allocation is up to 80 percent but that is still not enough for such a long flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.