Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: msm2000uk
Please post your experiences related to QR's longest route, between DOH-AKL-DOH.

​​​​​​​M
Print Wikipost

The AKL Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
Booked onto this flight in early June. First time in NZ and will be quite an experience spending that long on the plane.

What are the queues like at Immigration at that time of morning? Do they have a fast track arrivals for premium pax?
AKL intl terminal is generally significantly quieter during the winter months, long queues are much less likely to occur.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Thanks everyone for the tips!
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Just in case anyone is interested, I've done a long review at the blog I write for linked below.

I flew DOH-AKL and I have to say it was pretty damned amazing!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Just in case anyone is interested, I've done a long review at the blog I write for linked below.

I flew DOH-AKL and I have to say it was pretty damned amazing!
A fair assessment of the flight - although my meat was less tough than yours, I think! Really haven't felt any significant jet lag after the southbound flight - although you feel a tad tired towards the end of the day. But no sleepless nights or waking up unable to return to sleep. That speaks volumes IMO to the QR J product.

Now looking forward to returning to the northern hemisphere from AKL this coming Thursday - and to checking bags through to LHR on a separate ticket to the AKL-DOH-FRA sectors, all being well (see the separate QR interlining discussion!).
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by Mapman
A fair assessment of the flight - although my meat was less tough than yours, I think! Really haven't felt any significant jet lag after the southbound flight - although you feel a tad tired towards the end of the day. But no sleepless nights or waking up unable to return to sleep. That speaks volumes IMO to the QR J product.

Now looking forward to returning to the northern hemisphere from AKL this coming Thursday - and to checking bags through to LHR on a separate ticket to the AKL-DOH-FRA sectors, all being well (see the separate QR interlining discussion!).
Completely agree with you on the jet lag. I usually get it fairly badly heading from Europe to Australia but this time it was much better than usual, so I agree with you regarding the QR J product.

I've been watching that interlining thread. I'm flying Wednesday and it'll be AKL-DOH-FRA-LHR-DUB so lets see how that goes I have plenty of time in FRA if there is any problem, but I fully expect interline success!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Mapman

Good to hear that the flight didn't give too much jet lag. as I have 7 busy days in NZ before I fly back.

Also that the interlining appears to be working on the AKL route as I'd like to do the same from ARN to LHR on BA. shame I cant do it on the way out as I have a shorter layover outbound.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:16 am

Oh no
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by AndyFlyer
If you have a UK passport, you can use the immigration machines for entry into NZ, which takes about 18 seconds! Just make sure to look into the camera and not wear glasses...
Wow. This was not made clear in the slightest to us when we came through around Christmas and spent an hour and a half in the queue for passport control.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I just came back today having done :

NZ534 CHC --> AKL (Flight time - 1h:12m)
QR921 AKL --> DOH (Flight time - 17h:15m)
QR003 DOH --> LHR (Flight time - 7h:15m)

Total Flight time - 25h:42m

#TotallyKnackered
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Calum
It's a quote from AAB who hardly has a track record for accuracy.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Calum
Let's hope it doesn't happen...

Having said that, we are approaching the low season for NZ tourism so I wouldn't be surprised if they reduced or suspended the schedule until November/December. It was a pity they didn't start the route until the back end of the peak tourist season this year.

Fingers crossed!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:51 am

The Lions tour to NZ June-July ought to give it a bit of a boost in demand.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by AndyFlyer
If you have a UK passport, you can use the immigration machines for entry into NZ, which takes about 18 seconds! Just make sure to look into the camera and not wear glasses...
I think it's US UK Australia NZ and Canada. They were sporting the flags of the countries allowed. I fly tomorrow and return next wk so can double check then but they've updated (end of last yr) that system from a previous 2 step to a current 1 step system. There's so many of the machines ~ 10 in the row or so. Very speedy.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:06 am

Flew this route outbound to AKL from DOH on 9 April and returned on the 22nd. Honestly felt like any other LH flight with the exception of the ability to compile your own eating schedule with the flexible menu.

It was my first time on the QR 777 and found the seats to be very comfortable as previously expressed by other posters. the 2-2-2 layout didn't perturb me and enjoyed the ability to sit with my missus at a window seat.

Unlike others, I found the early arrival into AKL very painful. I had struggled to force myself to sleep on the last few hours of the flight and had essentially 'woken up' at about midnight AKL time. That being said, the jet lag wasn't too much of an issue although it meant I was getting to bed fairly early in the nighttime for the first few days.

On a side note, we departed London on the 8th... first time i've flown out of LHR on QR (as to date have been taking advantage of the cheap deals on the continent) and absolutely loved the lounge. Seemed to be a better class of champagne (particularly the rose) available in the lounge than on the aircraft. Enjoyed the table service and decent selection of food before the flight. Very personal service in the lounge and wish I had more flights on QR out of LHR than out of ARN & BRU this year. Maybe my wish for a BRU reschedule will come true and enable me to move the flights to LHR
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:12 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
I think it's US UK Australia NZ and Canada. They were sporting the flags of the countries allowed. I fly tomorrow and return next wk so can double check then but they've updated (end of last yr) that system from a previous 2 step to a current 1 step system. There's so many of the machines ~ 10 in the row or so. Very speedy.
For those still wondering about this, it was reported in post#194
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28209577-post194.html
that valid passports are New Zealand, Australia, United Kingdom, United States of America and Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.