Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: plunet
New destinations 2017.

Announced for 2017:-

AKL - Auckland started 5 February 2017
CNX - Chiang Mai starts 12th December 2017 4 times weekly 7th December 2017 31st October 2017 16 December 2016 Routes Online Qatar Press Release
DLA - Douala starts 3 times weekly (Date TBA)
DUB - Dublin started 12 June 2017
KBP - Kiev Borispi - starts daily. From 28th August 2017. Link
KNO - Medan starts 4 times weekly (Date TBA)
LBV - Libreville starts 3 times weekly (Date TBA)
NCE - Nice started 4th July 2017 Link
OHS - Sohar starts 8th August 2017 Link
PRG - Prague started at relatively short notice on 21st August 2017 Link
SJJ - Sarajevo starts 4 times weekly on 31st October 2017. Link
SKP - Skopje started 17th July 2017 Link
TUU - Tabuk starts 19th June 2017 Link never started and would be suspended as of 6th June 2017.
YNB - Yanbu started 9th May 2017 28th March 2017 Link but suspended 6th June 2017.

Announced for 2018:

CBR - Canberra daily Starts 12th February 2018 via SYD. RoutesOnline
GIG - Rio de Janeiro starts 4 times weekly. Starts 30 January 2018.
LAS - Las Vegas starts 8th January 2018 3x weekly on 1st June 2018 Link, RoutesOnline
PEN - Penang, Malaysia, starts three weekly 6th February 2018. RoutesOnline,Press Release, Thread
SCL - Santiago starts 4 times weekly. Starts 30 January 2018.
UTP - U-Tapao Rayong Pattaya, starts four weekly 28 January 2018 Qatar Press Release

Lisbon and Lusaka were not mentioned in http://www.qatarairways.com/be/en/pr...17destinations.

New destinations 2016 can be seen here
New destinations 2015 can be seen here
Print Wikipost

New Destinations 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by Saltire74
Just saw this the other day and SUB could be interesting. Another Oneworld presence there would be good and an alternative to CX or only being able to go to either CGK or DPS before an internal flight. Fingers crossed it happens and hopefully along with decent fares.

S
Someone at CX in the UK said that SUB is hugely succesful due to freight, which if you think about the location & produce of the region it makes a lot of sense with the monopoly it has on freight out of SUB. With QR they can chuck in the significant of middle east workers that come from that part of Java so I can see that. As an ex-resident of Manado, no bloody chance (as with Batam).
Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:58 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Someone at CX in the UK said that SUB is hugely succesful due to freight, which if you think about the location & produce of the region it makes a lot of sense with the monopoly it has on freight out of SUB. With QR they can chuck in the significant of middle east workers that come from that part of Java so I can see that. As an ex-resident of Manado, no bloody chance (as with Batam).
The migrant worker situation I thought about too although numbers on QR must be down presently I would have thought due to the political situation. But yes CX seem to do well on the route. In all the years that I have been flying into SUB, mostly on CX, the flights are usually heavily loaded with pax and would imagine a fair bit of cargo in the belly too.

Edit to add: I’m surprised EK haven’t taken a stab at somewhere like SUB.

S

Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:49 am

Note to QR route planners - if you're going after no-hoper destinations in SE Asia, I'd be really very, very obliged if we could have JHB (Johor Bahru) with a 788 and an easy connection to QR4/QR15.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:06 am

I was hoping to see QR flight to SUB. but after Qatar spat with KSA, UAE, and other GCC countries, I thought it might be no-go.
SUB is ripe market for pilgrims and migrant worker to GCC countries. With current condition, I think it's not reasonable for QR to fly there.
Currently GA and SV connect SUB with JED.

the number of international flights are growing steadily. CX was flying there for long time, CI 5th freedom flight via SIN also seemed to stay.
MH is re-opening SUB service again to compete directly with AK group, while SIN well-fed by passengers of GA, SQ/MI, and 3K.

All of the airlines I mentioned above were coming from countries of destination of migrant workers from East Java and eastern parts of Indonesia, which easily connect to SUB better than CGK.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:08 am

Any chance or announcement for ACC - Accra, Ghana?
I have read several news articles from 2015 and it was supposed to be one of the new routes in 2018 but so far havent seen anything firm from Qatar.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC
I had a rummage and tidied up the Wiki and put a couple of the delayed starts in the 2018 section.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:48 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by Saltire74
The migrant worker situation I thought about too although numbers on QR must be down presently I would have thought due to the political situation. But yes CX seem to do well on the route. In all the years that I have been flying into SUB, mostly on CX, the flights are usually heavily loaded with pax and would imagine a fair bit of cargo in the belly too.

Edit to add: I’m surprised EK haven’t taken a stab at somewhere like SUB.

S

A lot of UAE money went into buying up most of the South Coast of Lombok, which led to the moving and building of a new airport in Lombok (far closer to the Southern beaches than where 90% of tourists go...) and plans were made to 'Dubai-ation' Lombok's southern coast, and lots of hotel groups were clamouring on the expectation that EK would announce Lombok with the new airport. Then the financial crash happened, lots of defaulting on the land payments, and the land was reclaimed and the plan fell flat (Peppers were the last hotel group supposedly building there). Anyway, to cut a long story short, Lombok was a shoe-in, didn't happen, and Lombok has a rather rubbish and badly located new airport.

The above is an example of the vast rumour machine that comes into play with middle eastern carriers, but repeatedly told to me by airline, hotel and tourism people, so probably an element of truth I can't substantiate one iota! But, Lombok ahead of Batam & Manado please!
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
GIG / SCL postponed

The launch of GIG and SCL is postponed indefinitely.

Aviação - Voo da Qatar para o Rio é adiado e ainda não tem data - Notícia - Turismo

Google translator:

Despite information about the start of Qatar Airways' Santiago-Rio-Doha flight to early 2018, the company informs that the operation is delayed due to the availability of aircraft, with no scheduled start date. The company intends to use the A350 in the connection, in partnership with Latam Airlines, but it still does not have the plane available.
Qatar Airways says however that the flight is confirmed and a date will be announced as soon as the aircraft issue is resolved. The company from Qatar flies daily from Sao Paulo to Doha, with extension to Buenos Aires.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Originally Posted by Ben_W
I just had a look for June next year a time of the year we often as a family travel back to the UK from Doha. The Cardiff prices are similar to flying direct to MAN or BHX but LHR is cheaper. With a family of four it looks like its going to be a big difference in price so right now I would rather drive from Heathrow to Swansea and save lots of money!
I am a tad worried here. especially on the premium/business sales. The lounge in Cardiff offers very little other than snacks and a limited alchol offering. lf you are paying for business most would prefer the luxury lounge at heathrow lounge unless there is a significant saving on price.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
I am a tad worried here. especially on the premium/business sales. The lounge in Cardiff offers very little other than snacks and a limited alchol offering. lf you are paying for business most would prefer the luxury lounge at heathrow lounge unless there is a significant saving on price.
I'm booked on the inaugural CWL-DOH currently, there are three seats selected in J including me!
florens and stewaran like this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I'm booked on the inaugural CWL-DOH currently, there are three seats selected in J including me!
That is worrying. Obviously it will be relatively easy to secure upgrades on this route but that isn't sustainable long term.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
That is worrying. Obviously it will be relatively easy to secure upgrades on this route but that isn't sustainable long term.
considering AAB actually admittedly stated everyone in the QR group said it is not a destination to go to, it should be worrying. But, then again, AAB being his normal self and wanting to think he knows everything and his employees know nothing.......we get CWL. Fool.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Downunderdesert
AAB ... Fool.
A fool who has single handedly built his airline into a major world player based solely on his personal vision. I need a fool like that running businesses for me.
beepee likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Downunderdesert
considering AAB actually admittedly stated everyone in the QR group said it is not a destination to go to, it should be worrying. But, then again, AAB being his normal self and wanting to think he knows everything and his employees know nothing.......we get CWL. Fool.
CWL is definitely an oddity. It's it 1,000,000 passengers per annum it certainly doesn't look like a long haul hungry market. Looking at Qatar's order book it seems however rather obvious that they'll probably have to fly to several more secondary airports within the range of a A320/A321 given that most of the short haul routes are currently suspended.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
A fool who has single handedly built his airline into a major world player based solely on his personal vision. I need a fool like that running businesses for me.
You could argue about the success or not of AAB. He managed to build an airline that offers a good product. Whether he actually made savvy business choices is however somewhat more difficult to answer. Since Qatar Airways is fully government owned these days, it is difficult to determine that. Moreover, you can take much bolder choice if you're backed by your government. Compare that to the publicly listed airlines that have to answer to shareholders when the margins are too thin and the financial result is below their expectations.

In any case, from a purely customer-oriented perspective AAB did a fabulous job transforming Qatar Airways. The same can however be said about Etihad and Emirates. I flew the former in economy back in 2004 (when EY was barely a year old) after my original flight was cancelled due to technical fault and it was a truly shocking experience. A330 with antique seats and the only entertainment for several hours consisted in looking at a compass indicating Mecca whereas the competition already started using PTVs. Back then I would have laughed at anyone suggesting that Etihad would eventually offer a residence-style product, let alone suites. Contrary to EY, QR seems however to have better luck at picking participations. AZ & AB weren't exactly great choices.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Al Baker's no fool, more a forceful and abrasive character who rose to the top in the very limited world of Qatari aviation. Backed by unlimited funding from the airline's owners he was able to give full vent to vision and unfettered ambition. The funding and regulatory leverage put him outside comparison with true industry entrepreneurs such as Sir Richard Branson, Tan Sri Tony Fernandes et al.

He has tripped up over his ambitions a few times: the all-premium long-haul notion flopped, al Maha was a flawed concept and his itchiness to best his Gulf rivals has resulted in a number of debacles surrounding routes and the availability of aircraft. A more conciliatory approach to relations with other major carriers would likely be more productive than the caustic, sometimes abusive, approach he adopts.

These are testing, existential, times for the airline. Cutting back on the bling while trying to lever up revenue is unlikely to have a happy ending: the non-stop sales continue.

At the same time al Baker is coping with the enormous impact on costs and revenue resulting from the actions of neighbouring states. He's in a position of having to find routes for an under-employed narrow-body fleet: a position Ryanair is used to handling, but that's a low-cost carrier. Cardiff is a manifestation of that search: most of us can think of far better targets, but who knows what sweetners were offered, or what the slot position is at, say, Lisbon.

In spite of the difficulties, and however well or badly the airline muddles through them, its position as an essential means of mitigating the economic and social impacts of the siege rather muddy the waters and protect al Baker, and his vision, for the time being.
msm2000uk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.