Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR Al Mourjan Business Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2022, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Schwann
18 hours in any lounge sounds utterly miserable. Depending on your travel history I'd use that money you'd have otherwise spent on a lounge on a hotel.

I'm not sure how they enforce the time limit at AM but given your first 6 hours are within one of the quietest times of day they might be more able to "find you".
I've done 20-hour connections in Al Mourjan, and a lot of 12-18 hour ones. It's tedious, but not that bad. Depending on how crowded, there's often a wait for a spot in the quiet room, as well as the main buffet restaurant upstairs, and for showers, but there are other quiet areas if you hunt around. Have a sandwich at the sandwich restaurant downstairs, hang out in the family room area if it's quiet, the quiet room if you can get in, eat upstairs when the crowd dies down.

The transit hotel is super convenient since it's airside, but it's outrageously expensive. Even the sleeper pod place in the airport is very spendy. I often stay at hotels, but only when I have 20 hours or more. Considering the time to clear formalities, be driven to the hotel, check in, unpack, etc., then do it all in reverse the next day, I personally don't find it worthwhile on shorter stops.

There's a number of reports in this thread on QR staff enforcing the six-hour time limit. Basically, they know when people are on paid (time-limited) access, and then they walk around asking people to show their BPs.

Originally Posted by ecrispy
Since no one has answered my questions about whether Mourjan is worth 2x Maha, or if time limit is enforced and which is better, I'm leaning toward Al Maha or Oryx, and book at airport on arrival.
Al Maja is a much nicer lounge. It's huge and hasn't ever been crowded when I've used it. The restaurant is order off the menu, with quite nice foods, and there are sleeper rooms with a real bed and a private toilet and shower. These are available first come first served and only for a limited amount of time. Is it worth double the price? I'm not sure.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
I've done 20-hour connections in Al Mourjan, and a lot of 12-18 hour ones. It's tedious, but not that bad. Depending on how crowded, there's often a wait for a spot in the quiet room, as well as the main buffet restaurant upstairs, and for showers, but there are other quiet areas if you hunt around. Have a sandwich at the sandwich restaurant downstairs, hang out in the family room area if it's quiet, the quiet room if you can get in, eat upstairs when the crowd dies down.

The transit hotel is super convenient since it's airside, but it's outrageously expensive. Even the sleeper pod place in the airport is very spendy. I often stay at hotels, but only when I have 20 hours or more. Considering the time to clear formalities, be driven to the hotel, check in, unpack, etc., then do it all in reverse the next day, I personally don't find it worthwhile on shorter stops.

There's a number of reports in this thread on QR staff enforcing the six-hour time limit. Basically, they know when people are on paid (time-limited) access, and then they walk around asking people to show their BPs.

Al Maja is a much nicer lounge. It's huge and hasn't ever been crowded when I've used it. The restaurant is order off the menu, with quite nice foods, and there are sleeper rooms with a real bed and a private toilet and shower. These are available first come first served and only for a limited amount of time. Is it worth double the price? I'm not sure.
I think you meant Al Mourjain.

Given that you are telling me QR does enforce time limits, and since I have to purchase entry, it then becomes 12hr at Al Maha/Oryx vs 6hr Mourjan. Which I think is an easier decision.

20hr can also be risky you never know if security/immigration/traffic jams etc can happen.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 7:23 pm

I think you meant Al Mourjain.
My apologies, I was sleepy. I meant Al Safwa (the lounge that has larger spaces, has always been quiet and uncrowded when I've been there, has sleeping rooms with real beds and private toilet and shower).
Old Mar 12, 2022, 7:36 pm

My apologies, I was sleepy. I meant Al Safwa (the lounge that has larger spaces, has always been quiet and uncrowded when I've been there, has sleeping rooms with real beds and private toilet and shower).
Oh great, you fly first class! I could never dream of that, I'll be quite happy with business
Old Mar 12, 2022, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Yes the clue might have been the real beds with private toilet/shower
Old Mar 13, 2022, 1:47 pm

Oh great, you fly first class! I could never dream of that, I'll be quite happy with business
I mentioned it because I thought you were considering paying to access it. I believe QR sells access to both Al Mourjan and Al Safwa (when they aren't at capacity). In my case, I had access because intra-Gulf flights, which are operated by narrowbody planes, have two cabins but the premium cabin books into first class inventory rather than business class (as AA used to do for domestic U.S. flights years back).
Old Mar 13, 2022, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
I mentioned it because I thought you were considering paying to access it. I believe QR sells access to both Al Mourjan and Al Safwa (when they aren't at capacity). In my case, I had access because intra-Gulf flights, which are operated by narrowbody planes, have two cabins but the premium cabin books into first class inventory rather than business class (as AA used to do for domestic U.S. flights years back).
I might be able to put up with a narrow body if I had enough champagne in AS before the flight Have to store this one in memory if I ever had occasion to be able to use it.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 5:51 pm

What are the busy times in Al Mourjan? Thank you!
Old Mar 14, 2022, 4:22 pm

My wife and I will be transiting through DOH next month. Our layover was initially 8 hours so we were planning to go into town, but a schedule change has now cut that to 6 hours.

We’re now wondering if the plan to go into town will be worth it, given that we’ll probably only have 2-3 hours max to wander before we need to get back to the airport.

We’ll have access to the AM lounge so I was considering just hanging out there as an alternative, but these recent trip reports of massive overcrowding make me think that the lounge might not be much more relaxing than hustling around town. We’re scheduled to be at DOH 8pm - 2am.

Feels like 6 hours in the AM lounge might be too much, but 6 hours for a layover adventure might be too little — would appreciate any thoughts from folks who are more familiar with the airport and it’s surroundings (eg will Ramadan traffic make leaving / returning to DOH a pain, etc).
Old Mar 14, 2022, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Hammerklavier
My wife and I will be transiting through DOH next month. Our layover was initially 8 hours so we were planning to go into town, but a schedule change has now cut that to 6 hours.

We’re now wondering if the plan to go into town will be worth it, given that we’ll probably only have 2-3 hours max to wander before we need to get back to the airport.

We’ll have access to the AM lounge so I was considering just hanging out there as an alternative, but these recent trip reports of massive overcrowding make me think that the lounge might not be much more relaxing than hustling around town. We’re scheduled to be at DOH 8pm - 2am.

Feels like 6 hours in the AM lounge might be too much, but 6 hours for a layover adventure might be too little — would appreciate any thoughts from folks who are more familiar with the airport and it’s surroundings (eg will Ramadan traffic make leaving / returning to DOH a pain, etc).
​​​​​​
8pm arrival, you can probably be in town around 9pm. I am not sure that it will be too interesting period. But there could be time for a dinner and a stroll. But I'd probably stick to staying in the airport if it was me....
Hammerklavier likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 3:58 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
​​​​​​
8pm arrival, you can probably be in town around 9pm. I am not sure that it will be too interesting period. But there could be time for a dinner and a stroll. But I'd probably stick to staying in the airport if it was me....
Very doable IMO- 15-20 min uber/taxi into town, you can be there by 9 and back at the airport by 1am easily. One thing I am not sure is the pre arrival paperwork does ask for hotel booking and how they authorities are treating transit pax in this situation. Also, I was unable to activate ehteraz until I bought a sim even though my phone was on roaming but others have had luck with using intl sims
Old Mar 15, 2022, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kq747
Very doable IMO- 15-20 min uber/taxi into town, you can be there by 9 and back at the airport by 1am easily. One thing I am not sure is the pre arrival paperwork does ask for hotel booking and how they authorities are treating transit pax in this situation. Also, I was unable to activate ehteraz until I bought a sim even though my phone was on roaming but others have had luck with using intl sims
No doubt it is doable, question is if there is anything open apart from dining at that time? Might be more interesting if at a time with the souq and museum of Islamic art etc. is open. Not sure about museums at that hour....
Old Mar 15, 2022, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

Even in the best of times it's a slightly crazed idea. Short-term entry was once actively discouraged: Lord knows how it's viewed in these peculiar times.

If you stay airside your "free" time between flights will be reduced by the arrival and departure faff by an hour or so. Easily double that by going landside and then add on the transit and orientation time to get into the city.

It would be great if QR were offering an organised tour of the city by bus or taxi for passengers in transit. But they aren't. So best resign yourself to the hardship of the lounge for a few hours

If you want to see Doha, then to do it properly it might be better to book flights with a stop-over of 24H or longer. It's not the most exciting city, but it's attractive enough, with plenty to occupy a couple of days.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
​​​​​​
If it is during Ramadan, 9pm onwards will be when people are out and pretty much everything will be open (which includes the Museum of Islamic Art and National Museum of Qatar). In any case, a nice time of the day for having some food and walking around the Souq Waqif area + Corniche.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 8:01 pm

Leaving the airport for a 6 or even 8hr layover seems very unadvisable to me. With security, immigration, transport you have barely any time left and its simply too risky IMO and not worth it. One traffic delay or problem at entry and you are in trouble.

And you have access to a great lounge so it should not be a problem. But thats me, I've spent much longer layover just sitting around, sleeping on chairs etc, never had access to a lounge. I have a upcoming 20hr layover from 12pm-8am and I'm not sure I'll go out. I usually do leave airport for anything >12hrs but its also very relaxing to avoid all the hassle and just settle down with a book etc esp in a nice lounge with free food!
estnet and Hammerklavier like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.