Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
I have a 16-hour layover planned for the Al-Safwa next weekend. I'm bringing my DSLR!

16-hour layover? Hopefully, you won't be spending the whole time at the airport...
Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Guava
16-hour layover? Hopefully, you won't be spending the whole time at the airport...
Hopefully they'll let me on their free Doha tour. Otherwise I envision a lot of spa time.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:07 pm
Suspended

It's open. Saw the outside. Too rushed to take a photo thanks to epic incompetence at queue management at HIA
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
It's been open for 8 hours. Where are the pics?! the trip reports?! the complaints?!
Old Oct 23, 2015, 12:34 am

Programs: KrisFlyer, AA, Qantas, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by justforfun
It's been open for 8 hours. Where are the pics?! the trip reports?! the complaints?!
If you can wait 20 days, i'll be sure to give you my complaints
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:42 am

Programs: LH Sen for life; QR Plat; FB Gold; Bonvoy Gold for life
I flew BKK-DOH-CDG in F last Saturday with 8 hrs in the Al Mourjan. It was a noisy zoo but I was lucky enough to get a quiet "room" which would have been quiet but for someone snoring VERY LOUDLY.

I was told Al Safwa would be opening mid November so the earlier opening may bew seen as a bonus.

I will be back through DOH in December so I am getting my complaints about Al Safwa ready.

1 I don't want any of that Krug rubbish, give me Lambrusco.
2 This chair is too soft.
3 That unicorn is making too much noise.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by justforfun
They opened it without giving sufficient advance notice to FT.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:00 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
While the Al Safwa has now officially opened, it should be noted that this is likely a 'Soft Launch'.

As with any new space, I would be surprised if things are perfect from the get go (despite the 'months of staff training etc').

As I am not in Qatar today, I am unable to look through the local media sources, but it surprises me that QR haven't made a big song and dance about its opening.

Perhaps they figured that doing so, would lead to awkward questions over its delay in opening, or perhaps they are waiting for the Emir (or National Day) to announce the full opening of the lounge - by which time things ought to be perfect.

I am through HIA at the end of November, so will go and play in the Al Safwa for a couple of hours. I'm absolutely certain that by that time, we will have as many praisers as complainers about the lounge.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:47 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Are access rules confirmed?

What should be certain:
  • Passengers departing on a QR flight in First Class, both long-haul and GCC
  • Passengers departing on another OW carrier in First Class (=currently that is British Airwways)
  • NO access for OWE not flying in QR or OW First Class. They're sent to Al Mourjan

Are the following confirmed?
  • Passengers incoming on QR in First Class but continuing after >5 hours on QR not in First Class?
  • Incoming flight can be from GCC or any other longhaul destination?
  • Passengers that have looong transfer in DOH (e.g. arrive in First from BAH one afternoon at 3.30pm, leave next morning at 8am in J to LHR) have access despite having left the airport in the meantime? Technically this is not a stopover (less than 24 hours) but a long transfer (more than 5 hours)

I've read so many different things on this topic...
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:55 am

Programs: The Embassy
12 hours later, no photos. I'm finding a different forum to complain about champagne on.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 4:32 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Are access rules confirmed?

What should be certain:
  • Passengers departing on a QR flight in First Class, both long-haul and GCC
  • Passengers departing on another OW carrier in First Class (=currently that is British Airwways)
  • NO access for OWE not flying in QR or OW First Class. They're sent to Al Mourjan

I've read so many different things on this topic...
Only if they're on QR or OW J flights, otherwise it's banishment to the F lounge...
Old Oct 23, 2015, 4:35 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by impeymac
Only if they're on QR or OW J flights, otherwise it's banishment to the F lounge...
Got it. And where do QR OWE (QP Platinum, Gold) go if they're flying in Y? Do the same rules apply to them as to the other OWEs?

Maybe we should do a Wiki on this now that the new lounge has opened (or update an exisitng one?). Of course we still need confirmation for the ones where there was a question mark.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 5:19 am

Maybe we should do a Wiki on this now that the new lounge has opened (or update an exisitng one?).
Yeah there is a wiki in the other thread but it needs updated now.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:29 am

I think mpkz will be the first one here to visit the lounge. Think he said he'll visit it sometime during the daytime today?
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:42 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Got it. And where do QR OWE (QP Platinum, Gold) go if they're flying in Y? Do the same rules apply to them as to the other OWEs?
As OWE & OWS they go to the OW F & J lounges respectively.

Rumour had it previously that QR would be opening dedicated Gold & Silver lounges at HIA, but I wouldn't indulge in any breath holding exercises if I were you...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.