Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2015, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by HB7
The delay in actual fact is about 3 years. HIA was slated for an opening on December 12, 2012.
The 3 year delay doesn't mean that they have been working on it for 3 years. People forget that QR and the contractor sued each other.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by HB7
The sleeping rooms look like rooms out of a cheap motel.
I see FT is still in good form
Old Oct 23, 2015, 4:53 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by N1Rotate
Are you at the lounge now? Or were you there on a previous trip?
No I am not.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by HB7
No I am not.
Oh, I had assumed you have been to the lounge based on your conclusion below.

Originally Posted by HB7
We waited years for this???......It doesn't seem THAT great....
Old Oct 23, 2015, 4:59 pm
HB7

Oh, I had assumed you have been to the lounge based on your conclusion below.
I'll sidestep the sarcasm and explain.

The bedrooms look like they are out of a motel. The shower rooms are identical to Al-Mourjan. You have to pay for using the Spa...

But sorry, I didn't know we weren't allowed to have views on this forum. As you can see in my post, I said it doesn't SEEM that great. I didn't say IT ISN'T that great. From the photos it doesn't SEEM to be that great.

Last edited by HB7; Oct 23, 2015 at 5:03 pm Reason: Accidentally spelt a word incorrectly.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by HB7
I'll sidestep the sarcasm and explain.

The bedrooms look like they are out of a motel. The shower rooms are identical to Al-Mourjan. You have to pay for using the Spa...

But sorry, I didn't know we weren't allowed to have views on this forum.
Who said anything about not allowed to have views, I am just expressing my views about your views
Old Oct 23, 2015, 5:11 pm
HB7

Who said anything about not allowed to have views, I am just expressing my views about your views
Well maybe actually read the post properly before having a wise-crack. That'd be good.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by HB7
Well maybe actually read the post properly before having a wise-crack. That'd be good.
Thank you for the advice. The definition of 'seem' from the Oxford English dictionary:

Definition of seem in English:
verb

1. Give the impression of being something or having a particular quality.

From my understanding of English one can have an impression of something from being there in person, I just assumed that a frequent traveller will be more savvy than making judgements from a few low resolution cell phone photos so thought you might have passed through. Anyways, just my humble views which I will not bore FT with.

Now if we may, lets get back on topic ^
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:18 pm
HB7

Thank you for the advice. The definition of 'seem' from the Oxford English dictionary:

Definition of seem in English:
verb

1. Give the impression of being something or having a particular quality.

From my understanding of English one can have an impression of something from being there in person
As you can see by YOUR understanding - "one CAN have an impression of something from being there in person" - one doesn't HAVE to be there to have an impression.

Further, by the definition that you have provided - "Give the impression" - this is clearly not a definitive opinion - it is a first opinion based on the photos provided. I don't recall anywhere where I have stated that it is definitely not of high quality.

As I'm sure you have seen on this thread, many here were anticipating photos to form some sort of opinion on the lounge. If anyone's opinion is not valid unless they actually visit the lounge in person - what is the point of anyone posting any photos or statements about the lounge, its quality, facilities or amenities?

I for one completely agree that you can't form a full, well informed, definitive opinion on the lounge unless you visit. However people can give their initial thoughts purely on photos - IMO - without having smart-a$$ comments to deal with.

So I'm not sure if you like to throw sarcastic unneccessary comments around or you need a better grasp of the English language.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:24 pm

Programs: TK E+, AF Plat & QR Plat (all the hard way), AA 3MM (worthless), smattering of others
Is there a moderator who checks this thread?
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:29 pm
HB7

The 3 year delay doesn't mean that they have been working on it for 3 years. People forget that QR and the contractor sued each other.
The statement was simply that the lounge is 3 years late. It has nothing to do with whether they have been working on it for 3 years, 3 days or 3 months.

The airport, as stated by the QR chief in early 2012 was supposed to open in December 2012. So this lounge, is basically 7 weeks short of being open 3 years later than it was scheduled to.

Do you work for QR?
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by HB7
without having smart-a$$ comments to deal with.

So I'm not sure if you like to throw sarcastic unneccessary comments around or you need a better grasp of the English language.
Apologies, I will run my replies to you via PM in the future to check for smart assery, sarcasm and bad english before posting. Anyways, no need to get very worked up, you provided an opinion and I provided an opinion on your opinion. This is a discussion forum after all.

I guess you will classify me in this category from a previous thread of yours.

Originally Posted by HB7
I should know better than to engage with those that are here for child-like amusement.

I'll know better to not waste my time next time.
Mods please feel free to delete at will, my posts have gone off topic.

Last edited by N1Rotate; Oct 23, 2015 at 6:46 pm
Old Oct 23, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: BAEC:Silver ,IHG:Spire Amb ,QR:Silver,HH:Diamond
Originally Posted by HB7
We waited years for this???......It doesn't seem THAT great....
Your alliances show your loyalty .I think you've waited for years for this response ...with no experience of the new lounge .As most QR customers have not as yet had the pleasure either you respectfully have no comment to make ...

Last edited by crombiestone; Oct 23, 2015 at 7:32 pm
Old Oct 23, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: The Embassy
Wonder how booking for the sleeping rooms works. I have a HIA hotel booking might be worth cancelling...
Old Oct 23, 2015, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Based on the pictures and some of the comments so far such as Spa possibly being a paid only service, at first glance, this lounge seems underwhelming. In particular, I will note that the lunch menu is o.k. but does not appear to be much better than what Concorde room offers. I guess my expectation was a little inflated. The lounge certainly looks nice though, I am just not wow by it. I will reserve my final judgement when I actually visit very shortly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.